Is it realistic to run Logic on a 1.6Ghz i5?

Reaction score
I am currently thinking about buying an iMac 21.5" with 1TB of harddrive, 8GB of memory, and an intel core i5 1.6Ghz Processor. I am going to be doing the following on this iMac; Internet Surfing, Music library (massive music library, easily over 100-150 GB), Music Production using Logic with Waves and Native Instruments plugins. Is it realistic for me to run these programs without it being slow, laggy, and unresponsive? Also i'm trying to keep this mac for at least 3+ years, because my last macbook pro only lasted 2 and half years using the same programs listed above.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What were the specs of your old Macbook and did you think that machine was slow while performing these tasks? You can go to Geekbench Browser and search for your old Macbook and the new iMac and see what the scores are and that should give you a relative idea of the performance and how well it'll deal with the tasks..

OP
A
Reaction score
I checked geekbench, however i literally have no knowledge on computer terminology so i don't know how accurate my search was. I couldn't find the exact specs for both my prior macbook pro and the iMac that i am currently looking at, but it seems that the macbook pro had higher scores. Just to make sure i don't waste money on this iMac purchase can somebody explain to me a clearer comparison.

Here are the specs for both devices in comparison:

Macbook Pro;
Screen Size: 13.3"
Processor: 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i7
Ram: 8GB DDR3
Memory Speed: 1600Mhz
Harddrive: 750 GB mechanical_hard_drive
Graphics Coprocessor: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Wireless Type: 802.11 a/b/g/n

iMac;
Screen Size: 21.5"
Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
Ram: 8GB DDR3
Memory Speed: 1867Mhz
Harddrive: 1000GB
Graphics Coprocessor: Intel HD Graphics 6000

Also just as a side note, to answer your question about whether or not it was slow on my macbook pro, it was not slow all the time but it wasn't fast as well. Whenever compressing my projects into Wav. or Mp3. format, it would roughly take 3-4 minutes, and during this time it would significantly make the computer slower than usual. There were never really times however where it was unusable. Since my macbook has stopped working, i have been working on somebody else's iMac 27" i3 3.2 GHz, and it didn't really affect my work status, was able to process things and run all the programs, granted i do not have the amount of files, programs, and plug-ins that i had on my macbook pro.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Assuming your MBP is still in working order, click on the Apple logo on the top left and About this Mac, do the same on your iMac this will help you search for the right thing on Geekbench..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.