Is it possible to send only video (and not audio) to a TV using Screen Mirroring?

Reaction score
In conjunction with our MBP and iPad, our church uses a TV, mixer and PA system during our services. The iPad and TV are used to project the PowerPoint presentation (via Screen Mirroring), and the mixer and PA system are used to pipe the organ music, the Pastor's voice and any other sounds we choose.

We are hosting an event next week, where the organizers would like us to show a video before the event; the video will also have audio.

I have previously played videos on the TV using Screen Mirroring, but the problem is that both the audio and the video are sent to the TV, so the audio bypasses the mixer and PA system and is only piped through the TV speakers. This is not ideal (ie. the volume from the TV is a "1" when the PA system can "go to 11"), so I usually refrain from screen mirroring anything with audio to the TV.

I'm trying to think of options where I can display the video on the TV while simultaneously piping the audio through the mixer and PA system. This is what I can think of:

1) One option I can think of is to import the video into iMovie, detach the audio track from the video track, and then play the video by screen mirroring it from the iPad to the TV and also piping the audio from the MBP to the mixer and PA system. This is a cost effective method, but the downside is starting both the audio on the MBP and the video on the iPad at the same time so they sync up.

2) Another option is to run an audio cable from the TV back to the mixer, thereby rerouting the audio, but that will require buying a long enough cable and having professionals install it by running it through the walls from the TV back to the mixer - but, I'm not sure we can do that in a week.

Are there any other options available to accomplish this? Or, is there a way to simultaneously start a separate audio track on the MBP and a video on the TV so they sync up?

Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You'll want to try this out, but you are screen mirroring to the TV. If you mute the MBP, no audio will go out and you should be able to have other audio play through the PA system. As long as the audio from the mixer isn't coming into the TV as well, this should work.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here's an idea that might work depending on how much the wall interferes with things and the distances involved. If the distance involved is more than about 30 feet/10 meters don't bother. It also assumes that you have an open input jack on the mixer.

1. There are gadgets designed to add Bluetooth capability to equipment that doesn't have it. Some of these devices can use a wide variety of connection options. Use one of these connected to an available input on the mixer.

Here are some examples of the kind of device I have in mind. Amazon.com : bluetooth audio receiver of these devices will only transmit Bluetooth audio but some receive and some transmit and receive. You need a receiver or the transmitter/receiver unit that does both.

2. Adjust the sound options on the TV such that audio is sent to Bluetooth devices rather than the speaker.

I used a transmitter to add Bluetooth capability and it worked fairly well as long as I was on Bluetooth range. My unit had a rechargeable battery in this very small device that was good for about two hours of use but was only a transmitter.

OP
B
Reaction score
You'll want to try this out, but you are screen mirroring to the TV. If you mute the MBP, no audio will go out and you should be able to have other audio play through the PA system. As long as the audio from the mixer isn't coming into the TV as well, this should work.
I'll give that a try, thanks!

Here's an idea that might work depending on how much the wall interferes with things and the distances involved. If the distance involved is more than about 30 feet/10 meters don't bother. It also assumes that you have an open input jack on the mixer.

1. There are gadgets designed to add Bluetooth capability to equipment that doesn't have it. Some of these devices can use a wide variety of connection options. Use one of these connected to an available input on the mixer.

Here are some examples of the kind of device I have in mind. Amazon.com : bluetooth audio receiver of these devices will only transmit Bluetooth audio but some receive and some transmit and receive. You need a receiver or the transmitter/receiver unit that does both.

2. Adjust the sound options on the TV such that audio is sent to Bluetooth devices rather than the speaker.

I used a transmitter to add Bluetooth capability and it worked fairly well as long as I was on Bluetooth range. My unit had a rechargeable battery in this very small device that was good for about two hours of use but was only a transmitter.
That's a good idea, too. If Raz0rEdge's idea doesn't work, I'll look into it. Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Be sure to let us know what works. I'm always keen to know different ways of using/connecting equipment to do interesting things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.