Is a macbook with a warped shell from battery expansion worth anything?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro i7 2.2GHz 15" (Mid 2015) 256GB SSD, and because it's lower shell has warping from battery expansion, Apple tells me it can only be recycled (no trade-in value). Is it worth ANYTHING on eBay, or is warping a non-starter?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There's always people willing to buy stuff..especially on eBay.

However, Apple products are generally considered premium products and folks tend to only fork over their hard earned money for good examples of the product. So, for sure, you're not going to get top dollar for this machine.

But, assuming that you've replaced the battery, some enterprising individual or someone who wants to spend the least amount of money for an MBP might be fine to live with the warped case.

However, you can likely make more money if you sell it for parts, that you either take apart or sell it for parts for others to take apart.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It must have been pretty badly warped. I have a 2010 13' MacBook white unibody with a similar problem (maybe not as bad) but after replacing the battery and a few weeks of use the shell seems to have returned to its original shape.

OP
AJP24
Reaction score
There's always people willing to buy stuff..especially on eBay.

However, Apple products are generally considered premium products and folks tend to only fork over their hard earned money for good examples of the product. So, for sure, you're not going to get top dollar for this machine.

But, assuming that you've replaced the battery, some enterprising individual or someone who wants to spend the least amount of money for an MBP might be fine to live with the warped case.

However, you can likely make more money if you sell it for parts, that you either take apart or sell it for parts for others to take apart.
No battery replacement because that was quoted at $500. I have no inclination to take it apart, I’d rather put it on eBay for parts. Screen is A-, keyboard is perfect. Body is B+.

Think I might get $50-80 for it?

OP
AJP24
Reaction score
It must have been pretty badly warped. I have a 2010 13' MacBook white unibody with a similar problem (maybe not as bad) but after replacing the battery and a few weeks of use the shell seems to have returned to its original shape.
I don’t know if it’s awful but the Apple Trade-In Guide asks if there’s any warping from the battery and if you select “yes” it says no value.

I don’t know how to replace the battery and was quoted $500.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I don’t know if it’s awful but the Apple Trade-In Guide asks if there’s any warping from the battery and if you select “yes” it says no value.

I don’t know how to replace the battery and was quoted $500.
If curious, look at this iFixit Guide on replacing your battery. Dave

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm a BIG DIY person...and normally I would have recommended purchasing a replacement battery...and replacing it yourself.

But since you've already said you're not interested in replacing the battery yourself...AND...ifixit.com says replacing the battery in a 2015 15" MacBook Pro is "Difficult" (and takes 45 minutes to 2 hours)...I'm going to say put it on eBay and see what you get.

Of course I would still replace the battery myself...but that's just me:)...I know others are not as interested in fixing things as I am.

No one can predict how much you'll get on eBay. Really depends on what parts folks need at the time your eBay auction runs...and how much those parts normally sell for individually.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I have a MacBook Pro i7 2.2GHz 15" (Mid 2015) 256GB SSD, and because it's lower shell has warping from battery expansion, Apple tells me it can only be recycled (no trade-in value). Is it worth ANYTHING on eBay, or is warping a non-starter?

I still use a MacBook Pro i7 15" running older software for certain tasks. There were versions with an integrated GPU and also with a better discrete GPU. The discrete GPU version gives you 2GB of dedicated VRAM, the other shares the 16GB RAM using something like 1.5GB. I can remove and fit a new battery in less than 20 minutes using a springy filler knife with a flat beveled end slid under the battery to cut through the bonding strips. I use a scalpel held with its blade parallel to the underside of the top case and cover over the underside of the track pad to remove the remains of the bonding strips. With care the battery doesn't puncture. Usually the base is ok to be refitted unless pressure from the battery has pulled the base screws through their holes. It's debatable wether it's worth spending time on if the display surface is badly delaminated, some are really bad now.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think I spent AU$70.00 for the battery and installed it myself. It's potentially dangerous to leave it in the device, on no account should you connect it to power, it should be removed and disposed of at an authorised disposal centre. I certainly would not be sending it anywhere by mail.
You should be able to find a local disposal centre online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I spent AU$70.00 for the battery and installed it myself. It's potentially dangerous to leave it in the device, on no account should you connect it to power, it should be removed and disposed of at an authorised disposal centre. I certainly would not be sending it anywhere by mail.
You should be able to find a local disposal centre online.
Hi Rod - a question for the audience - replaced my two older laptops (2012 MBPro & 2015 MBAir) recently with a M2 Air - sold my Pro to SYM (an OWC company) for a pittance but decided to keep my old Air as a 'spare backup' in case my new laptop needs a repair (on Apple+) - now it's in a cabinet (battery about 80+% healthy) - have the laptop OFF but set a reminder to check once a month (I'll boot it up, charge, do updates if available) - QUESTION - should I check the machine more often for battery swelling (my IT son felt once a month was fine) - comments or suggestions? Thanks - Dave

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since we're talking battery swelling...and monitoring an older laptop for battery swelling. One thing about battery swelling...battery swelling can occur (at least initially) without having any external signs.

Usually the first indications we get of battery swelling in a laptop computer...is when the laptops case starts to bulge...the trackpad physical clicking ability starts to malfunction (which many times is not noticed if using tap to click)...and maybe a malfunctioning keyboard.

What I'm trying to say is...a good amount of battery swelling can occur (when it does happen)...before we even know it. To actually catch battery swelling as early as possible...opening up the computer & visually inspecting is probably the best way.

Of course this is a bit inconvenient and unconventional...but would probably provide the earliest indication of battery swelling.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since we're talking battery swelling...and monitoring an older laptop for battery swelling. One thing about battery swelling...battery swelling can occur (at least initially) without having any external signs.

Usually the first indications we get of battery swelling in a laptop computer...is when the laptops case starts to bulge...the trackpad physical clicking ability starts to malfunction (which many times is not noticed if using tap to click)...and maybe a malfunctioning keyboard.

What I'm trying to say is...a good amount of battery swelling can occur (when it does happen)...before we even know it. To actually catch battery swelling as early as possible...opening up the computer & visually inspecting is probably the best way.

Of course this is a bit inconvenient and unconventional...but would probably provide the earliest indication of battery swelling.

Nick
Thanks Nick and understand that direct visual inspection would be best but not very convenient - ;) But making sure that the trackpad and adjacent surfaces remain flat and the laptop boots up and is working are my best options - Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Many years ago I used a laptop on a regular basis, and as with most, the base got warm, and occasionally hot. I found there are laptop stands with cooling fans built in the remove this heat, obviously no use to those whoes case has already warped, but could help those whose hasn't.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as everything is functional...it's really no different than a laptop with some cosmetic issues (nick's, dent's, scratches, bend's, ding's, etc).

If everything was functional...and the price is right...I'd buy it. Thus I'm sure there are many others thinking the same way. Of course it's not going to fetch the same price as a pristine/almost pristine example of the same model.

I'd simply buy it...and replace the battery.:)

Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ Raddave, I agree with Nick, if you see no physical evidence and you check the functionality and battery health every month or so you should have no worries about storing it long term.
The "ruler check" across the lower surface of the keyboard (where the trackpad is) is a good one. If the ruler rocks at all you've got swelling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ Raddave, I agree with Nick, if you see no physical evidence and you check the functionality and battery health every month or so you should have no worries about storing it long term.
The "ruler check" across the lower surface of the keyboard (where the trackpad is) is a good one. If the ruler rocks at all you've got swelling.
Thanks Rod - ruler is perfectly flat on the old Air, and I suspect with the laptop powered down, battery swelling is possibly not even an issue with no charging occurring or heat building up? Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Perhaps Power Book Medic would want to purchase your computer, APJ24. They buy Macs and part them out. I don't know how much they'd pay versus selling on Bonanza or eBay, but it might be worth checking into. ([email protected])

Paul

PS: I wonder why there hasn't been a class action tort case initiated for battery swelling. It seems common to so many models- even our 2006 and 2007 MacBook Pros had the problem. (Including with Apple replacement batteries)

PPS: I'm typing this on a Mac with a battery that has been swollen for a few years. No disasters yet.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PS: I wonder why there hasn't been a class action tort case initiated for battery swelling. It seems common to so many models- even our 2006 and 2007 MacBook Pros had the problem. (Including with Apple replacement batteries)
Battery swelling can happen/can eventually happen...on any device that contains a battery (portable computers, tablets, cellphone's, smart watches, etc). This eventuality is more like "when will the battery start swelling" versus..."if a battery will swell".

Generally speaking the older the battery gets...the greater the chance for swelling to begin. I've had batteries that were years & years old...some had tons of battery cycles on them...and some had hardly any battery cycles on them (thus it's not strictly about the number of battery cycles on a battery either).

Now if a battery starts to swell (for example)...only 1-2 years since new (or even less)...then this might be a situation that would be unusual. Could be due to a manufacturing or design defect...but also possible something on the user's end could be responsible (such as maybe something related to the "quality" of the electricity in someone's area, power surges, storms, etc).
PPS: I'm typing this on a Mac with a battery that has been swollen for a few years. No disasters yet.
It is possible to use a device with a swollen battery for quite some time...but generally the battery will continue to swell...and could eventually swell to the point to exert enough pressure on surrounding hardware and cause damage.

For example...the trackpad on a portable computer may no longer be able to do a physical click...trackpad could be damaged, or logic board could eventually be permanently damaged. Worst case scenario...eventually the battery may start to leak...and cause permanent damage to anything the leakage touches. Or even explode/burst into flame (there have been these rare cases reported).

Swollen batteries not something to mess around with. Which is exactly why many postal services & shipping companies have very strict rules regarding the shipping of electronics (new or used) that contain a battery. Or even the shipment of just batteries themselves.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I have seen MacBook Pro's in for repair with normal batteries. After a long wait for out of stock part/s the MBP goes onto to the bench and the battery is now swollen. Customers have had Apple portable computers in storage and months later retrieve them only to find the battery has swollen.This happens due to a chemical reaction as the battery hasn't been used or charged during its period of inactivity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 Mini, 2020 MacBook Air
old Air as a 'spare backup' in case my new laptop needs a repair . . . have the laptop OFF but set a reminder to check once a month (I'll boot it up, charge, do updates if available)
The battery will be happiest if you maintain it at ca. 50% charge, which puts the least strain on the electrodes and electrolyte. You can charge it fully if you ever have to use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.