iPod Photo is up at Apple.com

E

eeloo_guy

i hope that apple got the whole colour screen thing figured out, because (correct me if i'm mistaken) almost all of the smallish reflective lcd's that i've seen have have horrible colour output and a bluish tinge if the LED backlights are on... this is mostly from seeing gameboys and colour cellphones, but i would hate to look at phoyos on a screen like that, rather wait to load them onto my pb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
m1k said:
Abs, your attitude is awful. If you hate Macs that much, don't stick around the forums, and go drink bleach or something.

Seriously, stop with the attitude, OK?

Well actually, he isn't really wrong...
What's the big hype about it?!? Ok, it has a cool color screen I'd like to have on my iPod too, with the album art, but honestly, it's just way too expensive for what it is!
I mean, I like Apple and their products, but this time, I really don't see why I should buy a gadget that shows me pics on a 2" screen (which isn't worth more than a preview on my digicam's screen). Ok, it can connect to a TV, but why, at this price, doesn't it play video files??
It's half the price of a 12" iBook, but only has a very small part of the iBook's capabilities...
The iPod photo's price over here is 529,- Euro (40GB)
The Thomson PDP 2860 costs 499,- Euro, has only a 20GB HD, but it has a 9cm (3.5") color LCD screen, plays MPEG4 videos (in addition to audio and photo capabilities), can also be connected to a TV and is even able to record and encode to MPEG4 via it's video-in port...and the size of a PDA.

Sorry guys, the iPod is a great thing, I wouldn't give mine away...but the iPod Photo just isn't worth it...

M

m1k

See Steve Job's Keynote presentation, he explains why he doesn't put video on it. And with a 2" screen, who would want to put video on it?

Also, if Apple made the screen bigger it would be MUCH less portable, as the Thomson PDP 2860 is. You couldn't carry around in your pocket anymore. The iPod Photo's main use is still music.

If you do PhotoShop work or are a digital photographer, I can definitely see how the iPod Photo would be worth it. Even for the casual user, you get longer battery, a bigger HD, a much prettier screen, AND the ability to show all your family members your cute 2-year old baby.

As for the half the price of the iBook, the same argument was used for the iPod mini - it had MUCH less bang for the buck, for $50 more you could get 4-5x the storage capacity. But the iPod mini still sold like hot flies. And actually in comparison to the iBook, the iPod has a longer battery (3x longer) , a larger hard drive (2x larger), a simpler interface, and it looks cooler. Sorry, but it can stand up easily to the iBook. At half the price, you get MUCH more features than the iBook.

Seriously, see Job's Keynote, you'll see why Apple didn't include video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Video on a 2" screen wouldn't make sense, I agree, but as it already has a video output to connect it to a TV, why not giving it video support? So you could not only show your family your cute little baby, but also a video of baby's first steps. ;-)
I agree that a bigger screen would make the iPod bulkier if you keep the click wheel, and it simply wouldn't be the iPod anymore.
By the way, I saw the Thomson in real and had it in my hand, it really is the same size than my ipaq (PDA), just a little thicker. It definitely fits in a pocket.
Concerning the iPod mini, well, that's exactly why I bought a "regular" 3g iPod. For a little more money (I got it at the same price than the 4g 20GB, as they wanted to sell out the 3g) I had more capacity, a cooler look (IMO), no ClickWheel (don't like it) and more accessories (remote, holster and dock).
I compared it to the iBook because of the price, I know that both things have different markets and usage. Ok, battery life is better, and 10GB more storage space (the iBook has 30GB, not 20GB), but the iBook can do a lot more things than the iPod...except fitting in your pocket, of course... :)

Sorry, but I still think that, for what it is, it's really way too expensive...

And concerning Steve Jobs' ideas...well, without him and his ideas, Apple wouldn't be what it is, but that doesn't mean that, as a Mac user, I have to agree with everything he says or thinks...I mean, one-button mouse nowadays and colored socks for the iPod for $29...come on! :(

M

m1k

Anyone know if you can adjust the screen brightness?

Well, you can turn the backlight on/off, go to settings->backlight, and you can set it to turn on for a specific amount of time after a button is pressed.

Video on a 2" screen wouldn't make sense, I agree, but as it already has a video output to connect it to a TV, why not giving it video support? So you could not only show your family your cute little baby, but also a video of baby's first steps. ;-)
I agree that a bigger screen would make the iPod bulkier if you keep the click wheel, and it simply wouldn't be the iPod anymore.
By the way, I saw the Thomson in real and had it in my hand, it really is the same size than my ipaq (PDA), just a little thicker. It definitely fits in a pocket.
Concerning the iPod mini, well, that's exactly why I bought a "regular" 3g iPod. For a little more money (I got it at the same price than the 4g 20GB, as they wanted to sell out the 3g) I had more capacity, a cooler look (IMO), no ClickWheel (don't like it) and more accessories (remote, holster and dock).
I compared it to the iBook because of the price, I know that both things have different markets and usage. Ok, battery life is better, and 10GB more storage space (the iBook has 30GB, not 20GB), but the iBook can do a lot more things than the iPod...except fitting in your pocket, of course...

Sorry, but I still think that, for what it is, it's really way too expensive...

And concerning Steve Jobs' ideas...well, without him and his ideas, Apple wouldn't be what it is, but that doesn't mean that, as a Mac user, I have to agree with everything he says or thinks...I mean, one-button mouse nowadays and colored socks for the iPod for $29...come on!

Good point about the video, I forgot about the video output. But most people don't make their own movies of their baby's steps, if you don't own a Mac it's practically impossible. Also, I don't think Apple wants to get into copyright issues with watching illegally downloaded DVDs on your iPod. That may be the main reason why a video iPod isn't being released, because Apple doesn't want to get into any trouble with the law ;)

Really, the Thompson fits in a pocket? Cool, didn't know that! *gets one*

I got the iPod mini because my library is only slightly over a gig, so I didn't really have any use for more than 4. I've never owned an iPod before (just got my first Mac in June), so the click wheel comes naturally to me because I've never used the touch-sensitive separate buttons on the 3G iPod.

Yeah, iBook does do a lot more things than the iPod. (by the way, iPods go up to 60gigs, so 30gigs is 1/2 of 60). But when it comes to playing music, you need something that will fit into your pocket. Although if you want to watch movies an iBook is definitely your best bet, you're right. But an iPod is the perfect size for playing music/viewing photos (ok maybe not photos... 2" is a bit small). I'd rather have an iBook though :)

I don't disagree about the price point, I'm not going to get one, because I'm not really into digital photography and it's not worth the money for the color screen and a bit more battery life. But I do think it would be perfect for someone who is a digital photographer or does Photoshopping and would like to show their work to others. But it is a bit on the pricy side, no doubt :(

I actually don't mind the 1-button mouse, I love its elegance and when I want to right-click I just ctrl+click, but that's just me.

But I do agree about the iPod socks. Stoopid move on Apple's part :(

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
m1k said:
Abs, your attitude is awful. If you hate Macs that much, don't stick around the forums, and go drink bleach or something.

Seriously, stop with the attitude, OK?
First, I didn't say the work "Mac" in my post. I like my iPod, its a cool gadget, but an iPod Photo is just an expensive piece of crap.
Second... Oh, I see. Because I don't agree with you, then I am wrong. You are on a message board, get used to opinions.

I love the Internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I tried the iPod color, and it is awesome! It even has progress bars just like Aqua, and the screen looks just like OS X You gotta see it before you judge it :alien:

M

m1k

First, I didn't say the work "Mac" in my post. I like my iPod, its a cool gadget, but an iPod Photo is just an expensive piece of crap.
Second... Oh, I see. Because I don't agree with you, then I am wrong. You are on a message board, get used to opinions.

I love the Internet.

OK, my bad, I meant Apple instead of Mac, if it makes you feel better.

The iPod Photo is an 'expensive piece of crap'? That's a new one... Other members expressed their feelings, um, in a less fiery way.

Yeah, I'm used to opinions, but other members are polite and nice when they disagree. Unlike you.

Clean up your act.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
m1k said:
Good point about the video, I forgot about the video output. But most people don't make their own movies of their baby's steps, if you don't own a Mac it's practically impossible. Also, I don't think Apple wants to get into copyright issues with watching illegally downloaded DVDs on your iPod. That may be the main reason why a video iPod isn't being released, because Apple doesn't want to get into any trouble with the law ;)
Hmm...I guess the copyright issue is a good point too...didn't think about that. And you can make videos of your baby's first steps, even without owning a Mac. The Mac might be the reference when it comes to video editing, but it's not the only option available.

m1k said:
Really, the Thompson fits in a pocket? Cool, didn't know that! *gets one*
Yes it does! :D

m1k said:
I got the iPod mini because my library is only slightly over a gig, so I didn't really have any use for more than 4. I've never owned an iPod before (just got my first Mac in June), so the click wheel comes naturally to me because I've never used the touch-sensitive separate buttons on the 3G iPod.

Well, my 20GB iPod is about half full with my music collection, so 4GB wouldn't be enough ;) About the click wheel, well, when I bought my iPod, I tried all three models (3g, 4g and mini). I prefered the 3g because it didn't have any mechanical buttons (except the hold switch) and because the all-white front looks much cooler than the grey Click Wheel. The mini's Wheel is white, then why on earth did they make it ugly grey on the iPod?!? Oh, and of course because of the red lit buttons...looks way cooler in the dark :)

m1k said:
Yeah, iBook does do a lot more things than the iPod. (by the way, iPods go up to 60gigs, so 30gigs is 1/2 of 60)....
Speaking about half the price: The 40GB iPod photo is about half the price of a 12" iBook ($499 vs. $999), which makes the difference of 10GB. The 60GB is a little less than half the price of the 14" iBook ($5999 vs. $1299), which has also 60GB...just to point that out :spook:

m1k said:
I actually don't mind the 1-button mouse, I love its elegance and when I want to right-click I just ctrl+click, but that's just me.
To be honest, I have to say that I was positively surprised after buying my Mac, and not getting bothered much about the missing right button, and I like it's elegance too. But I was so used to use a scroll wheel that I had to get an other mouse. And the only option for me was The Mouse from MacMice, because it's the closest one to the Apple Pro Mouse's design (which is the most elegant mouse on the market).

OP
M
Reaction score
I played with one at apple today, I would consider getting one if I was looking to get a regular size iPod but for now I really like my mini.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
m1k said:
OK, my bad, I meant Apple instead of Mac, if it makes you feel better.

The iPod Photo is an 'expensive piece of crap'? That's a new one... Other members expressed their feelings, um, in a less fiery way.

Yeah, I'm used to opinions, but other members are polite and nice when they disagree. Unlike you.

Clean up your act.
Ok, Dad. Don't you dare tell me how to act. Only I can control myself, not you. Don't like it? Unplug your Mac and go outside. Go to McDonalds, order some nuggets and eat them, go to the park, walk around, and go to the Apple store and buy a PowerBook, because you just can't stand to be away from your Mac.

You know its the truth, the iPod Photo is expensive, and its crap. Oh, and iPod with a color screen, that can view photos, and plug into a TV! WOW! The sad thing is that it is going to sell like hot cakes because of Zealots like you. Its an iPod with a color screen that can allow you to view photos on a 2" screen, that hooks up to a TV. And it has a click wheel!1!!!11! I'll stick with my 3g iPod, thank you.

M

m1k

Ok, Dad. Don't you dare tell me how to act. Only I can control myself, not you. Don't like it? Unplug your Mac and go outside. Go to McDonalds, order some nuggets and eat them, go to the park, walk around, and go to the Apple store and buy a PowerBook, because you just can't stand to be away from your Mac.

I don't eat McDonalds and I already have a PowerBook. I don't get what the point of that paragraph was.

You know its the truth, the iPod Photo is expensive, and its crap. Oh, and iPod with a color screen, that can view photos, and plug into a TV! WOW! The sad thing is that it is going to sell like hot cakes because of Zealots like you. Its an iPod with a color screen that can allow you to view photos on a 2" screen, that hooks up to a TV. And it has a click wheel!1!!!11! I'll stick with my 3g iPod, thank you.

I never said I would get one. I'll stick with my mini, because the price is too high for someone who only listens to music.

I said it would be perfect for the digital photographer or Photoshop user who wants to show others his pictures. You can't find a smaller player with a bigger harddrive that also shows photos than the iPod photo. Other players are so big they won't fit in your pocket.

Admit it, I have reason.

And I'm serious. My last post didn't dis you at all, and yet you attack me. Why?

I'm sick and tired of you doing this shiat. Stop it. If you want to argue, do it like me or Avalon.

Hmm...I guess the copyright issue is a good point too...didn't think about that. And you can make videos of your baby's first steps, even without owning a Mac. The Mac might be the reference when it comes to video editing, but it's not the only option available.

Yeah, but you need lots of fancy expensive software. On my XP box, no video software comes standard at all, whereas on my PowerBook both iMovie and iDVD were included. But you can do it on an XP box, agreed.

Well, my 20GB iPod is about half full with my music collection, so 4GB wouldn't be enough About the click wheel, well, when I bought my iPod, I tried all three models (3g, 4g and mini). I prefered the 3g because it didn't have any mechanical buttons (except the hold switch) and because the all-white front looks much cooler than the grey Click Wheel. The mini's Wheel is white, then why on earth did they make it ugly grey on the iPod?!? Oh, and of course because of the red lit buttons...looks way cooler in the dark

Yeah, the mechanical buttons are sometimes annoying, like when the wheel goes under the case (It happened once to me, easily fixed but annoying). Agreed about the regular iPod as well, they fuglied it up!

Speaking about half the price: The 40GB iPod photo is about half the price of a 12" iBook ($499 vs. $999), which makes the difference of 10GB. The 60GB is a little less than half the price of the 14" iBook ($5999 vs. $1299), which has also 60GB...just to point that out

Sorry, mybad...

To be honest, I have to say that I was positively surprised after buying my Mac, and not getting bothered much about the missing right button, and I like it's elegance too. But I was so used to use a scroll wheel that I had to get an other mouse. And the only option for me was The Mouse from MacMice, because it's the closest one to the Apple Pro Mouse's design (which is the most elegant mouse on the market).

Yeah, I miss the scroll wheel too, I might get a The Mouse BT from MacMice for Christmas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Enough you two, stay on topic and quit the personal attacks, and I don't care who started what or who said what, just stop it. Thanks have a nice day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
m1k said:
If you want to argue, do it like me or Avalon.

I wouldn't call this arguing...but discussing and pointing out each one's opinion, right? :cool:

Murlyn said:
Enough you two, stay on topic and quit the personal attacks, and I don't care who started what or who said what, just stop it. Thanks have a nice day.

Did you refer to me and m1k or to Absolute Zero and m1k?!?
Because I stayed on topic and didn't attak anyone... at least not intentionally :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Im talking to all of you who are not talking about the subject, "iPod Photo is up at Apple.com" if you are talking about anything other than that, then consider my post closely, because Im talking to you, otherwise, continue on with the subject at hand.

M

m1k

Im talking to all of you who are not talking about the subject, "iPod Photo is up at Apple.com" if you are talking about anything other than that, then consider my post closely, because Im talking to you, otherwise, continue on with the subject at hand.

Not that I want to pick a fight with a mod, but...

Avalon and I were discussing iPod Photo, like the first post in this thread said we should do. Abs and I were also discussing iPod Photo, but I was just asking him to discuss nicely.

I don't see why that's off-topic, but whatever.

Reaction score
I think the whole idea to have pictures on an iPod is cool. But its just ar rip off to me and probbably is to others. The screen is so tiny, and it doesnt have a camera in it or anything. And for that much money, you could just buy a nice digital camera with a big flash card for a good price. (the screen size on the back might be similar to the iPod one.) This would be cheaper. Its a cool idea in all, but its not worth it .

Anyone agree?

M

m1k

And for that much money, you could just buy a nice digital camera with a big flash card for a good price.

As far as I know they don't make 60gig flash cards ;) :)

And digital cams don't play music or have a cool interface.

But digital cams do have a built in camera, which is a big plus. Apple probably should have included a built-in cam, that would have been COOL!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.