iPod broke PC?

M

MacHeadCase

*Phew* Glad it's fixed!

The title to this thread could have been iPod Shuffle on steroids.

Or is this a modern day version of David vs Goliath?
icon10.gif

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Yeah, we are very, very happy to have the machine working again. The Sonata cases are great and Antec is a great company. I used another Sonata in a different build last year and accidentally broke off the front door while building...Antec sent me an entire new face plate for free, even with free shipping. Love the company & their products. Plus they look great :)

I've had problems with Shuffles before...my brother's 1g Shuffle completely fried his 15" MacBook Pro (under OS X) and my dad's 2g Shuffle shutdown his new Dell desktop (also using the front USB ports). We had to do a complete OS reinstall on my brother's MacBook Pro to get it working again; I don't remember what we did to my dad's Dell but we were able to save the data on the hard drive. I love my 2g Shuffle, but they amount of problems they are having is ridiculous. They should at least issue a warning not to use them with your front USB ports. It was evident based on the menu system and the questions the phone tech asked that they were experiencing a multitude of problems with the Shuffles. Oh well, lesson learned, life goes on.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Can't limit this to PC manufacturers as much as you may like since Apple has done the same thing with the right side USB port of at least the MacBook Pro that I am aware of.

PC = Personal Computer, I wasn't limiting it to any particular manufacturer!

Anyhow where do you get the idea that Apple "has done the same thing with the right side USB port"? The specifications of both ports (or all three on the 17 inch) are identical according to the hardware developers documentation. If you have a dodgy right side USB port send it back to Apple because that is a faulty machine.

Amen-Moses

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
PC = Personal Computer, I wasn't limiting it to any particular manufacturer!

Anyhow where do you get the idea that Apple "has done the same thing with the right side USB port"? The specifications of both ports (or all three on the 17 inch) are identical according to the hardware developers documentation. If you have a dodgy right side USB port send it back to Apple because that is a faulty machine.

Amen-Moses

This idea came about within the first week or 2 of owning my MBP while I was doing a lot of research regarding different types of hardware. I don't recall which ones they were at this time (ended up not purchasing either of them and am not going to spend the time it would take to go back looking at all the sites I did at that time to find them), but I found 2 different maufacturers that had specific notes in their FAQ's about connecting their USB devices to the right side port on MBP's. This is just one of the tech support items you kind of file away in your memory in case you find someone having a similar problem. The issue related to not enough power through the right side port due to it sharing power connector with the FW ports. According to my memory, the issue was primarily related to powering their device while simultaneously having a FW device connected, and possibly not having enough to power their USB device adequately. Both of the 2 places I found this item specifically recommended using the left side USB with their device. It has nothing to do with a faulty USB device, but with the inherent design of the power bus on the MBP. Both of these 2 manufacturers were aware of this and provided info. I do not remember finding anything related to their devices frying the bus, only in their device not working due to not enough power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This idea came about within the first week or 2 of owning my MBP while I was doing a lot of research regarding different types of hardware. I don't recall which ones they were at this time (ended up not purchasing either of them and am not going to spend the time it would take to go back looking at all the sites I did at that time to find them), but I found 2 different maufacturers that had specific notes in their FAQ's about connecting their USB devices to the right side port on MBP's. This is just one of the tech support items you kind of file away in your memory in case you find someone having a similar problem. The issue related to not enough power through the right side port due to it sharing power connector with the FW ports. According to my memory, the issue was primarily related to powering their device while simultaneously having a FW device connected, and possibly not having enough to power their USB device adequately. Both of the 2 places I found this item specifically recommended using the left side USB with their device. It has nothing to do with a faulty USB device, but with the inherent design of the power bus on the MBP. Both of these 2 manufacturers were aware of this and provided info. I do not remember finding anything related to their devices frying the bus, only in their device not working due to not enough power.

I found references to Protools and Audio devices, the manufacturers claim that there are timing differences on the right hand USB (i.e they say you could get dropped samples at high sampling rates), no mention at all of power problems nor that it only happens when the FW is in use.

Strangely the users complaining of problems with this hardware online seem equally split about whether the left or right works better (according to the hardware diagrams both are fed from the same chip, the only real difference being the length of the wires.

It is possible that timing issues could be down to poor screening but more likely these devices were designed for FireWire and have been adapted for USB which although theoretically capable of high speeds in practice the "up to 480Mb/s" is under perfect conditions and very rarely achievable.

Anyhow Apple claim full spec for both ports so if if you could prove it wasn't able to supply enough current to meet the spec then you would be able to get it replaced/fixed etc under warranty.

Knowing how simple the Shuffle design is I wouldn't be surprised if under some conditions (i.e if the battery had been completely drained) it could be attempting to draw more than the spec allows but that still shouldn't cause a hardware problem as the spec for USB and FW ports (and other hot-pluggable ports) calls for short circuit and over-current protection.

btw, is this the new Shuffle or the old one, my brother is having problems with his new Shuffle and the front USB port on his PC (which like you I built for him).

Amen-Moses

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
btw, is this the new Shuffle or the old one, my brother is having problems with his new Shuffle and the front USB port on his PC (which like you I built for him).

Amen-Moses

I am guessing the new one because he said 1 and 2 GB. The old was 512 and 1GB correct?

I agree with you on the rest. Ports should not blow like that. I have plugged many high current USB devices into ports that did not have enough current and all it did was say it could not work, not blow out the port. Strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am guessing the new one because he said 1 and 2 GB. The old was 512 and 1GB correct?

I agree with you on the rest. Ports should not blow like that. I have plugged many high current USB devices into ports that did not have enough current and all it did was say it could not work, not blow out the port. Strange.

Same here, on my Macs it usually puts a little window up saying something to the effect that the device cannot be powered and to try another port.

Amen-Moses

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube

I said 1g and 2g, g=gen (1st generation and 2nd generation), sorry for the confusion. Yeah, the ports should not blow out like that, but this wasn't a one-time occurrence, and from googling it seems like this is only one problem among many. Oh well. We will just exchange the Shuffle for a new one and pray it works well this time :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I said 1g and 2g, g=gen (1st generation and 2nd generation), sorry for the confusion. Yeah, the ports should not blow out like that, but this wasn't a one-time occurrence, and from googling it seems like this is only one problem among many. Oh well. We will just exchange the Shuffle for a new one and pray it works well this time :D

:spook: Hahahaha! I was almost sure by G you meant GB! Let us know how the new one works.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
:spook: Hahahaha! I was almost sure by G you meant GB! Let us know how the new one works.

Yeah I got confused initially by that too, I was like, 2nd gen Shuffles are only 1gb, when did they come out with 2gb models? Then I figured out that 2g = 2nd generation. I guess I'm the weird one now, lol. Anyway, nearly everyone in my family has a Shuffle of some kind...4 1g Shuffles and 4 2g Shuffles between my family and my wife's family. 3 of those have had issues. 3:8, nearly 50/50 lol. We like them though, they are great for working out, plugging into the car, just taking with you wherever you go, especially the new clip-on ones. Just wish they didn't have so many problems. Although this site is down right now for exceeding it's bandwidth, check it out sometime:

http://www.1418****.com/
Edit: Apparently Mac Forums doesn't like this link, so you'll have to type it out - it's 1418heck.com, but the "other" spelling.

Anyway, we're not alone in our Shuffle problems ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.