iPhone XS Call volume issues

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have an iPhone Xs purchased shortly after they were released and currently on IOS 14.4. For several months now, I've had an interesting issue that seems to be getting worse. When I answer the phone normally, I can barely hear the person on the other end of the call, no matter how quiet the surroundings are. Initially, I noticed this on calls to/from one contact. Now it affects every call. Here's what I know so far:

1. This problem has gotten progressively worse over the last several months.
2. I'm running the 14.4 Beta, installed a few minutes ago, but the problem has existed across several IOS releases (final and Beta).
3. The volume is fine for any audio activity other than incoming calls (speakerphone, video playback, etc.).
4. I've checked every audio-related setting I can think of on the phone with no improvement.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I checked the Apple support site earlier tonight but didn't find anything I hadn't already tried

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Faults like that are hard to pin down on an iOS device. Much easier with a Mac.

Have you tried a reset of the phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
How is the volume if you use earbuds or an earphone? I have found that the speaker hole in the iPhone has to be well lined up with my ear to have good volume on calls.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Faults like that are hard to pin down on an iOS device. Much easier with a Mac.

Have you tried a reset of the phone?

I think I tried that when I first noticed the problem, but I don't remember for sure. It certainly won't hurt to try that again.
How is the volume if you use earbuds or an earphone? I have found that the speaker hole in the iPhone has to be well lined up with my ear to have good volume on calls.
I don't use earbuds often because I find most of them uncomfortable, but I'll try that later today. TBH since the volume is fine when I use Bluetooth headsets, I don't expect much improvement. Sorry for not including that tidbit in the description.

Shifting the position of the phone relative to my ear doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Shifting the position of the phone relative to my ear doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference.

Looks like we are going to have to fit you with larger ears like the alien guy on "Star Trek Deep Space Nine".
:rofl

If you tried a reset before and it didn't help, it's likely a defect with the phone. Not much you can do about that since an Xs is out of warranty and probably be too costly to repair. Besides, Apple does not do that kind of repairs but rather they will replace the phone with a refurbished one.

I have no idea how much they will charge assuming they even have Xs refurbished models in stock. You might be better off replacing the phone with a new model. The 12 mini is very popular and not expensive.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Charlie,

When I read your post, I remembered your suggestion to try a reset. Try as I might, I didn't remember whether I had done one or not, so I tried it. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending upon your perspective, the reset didn't work.

Looking hard at one of the iPhone 12's and whether I should go through Verizon or straight to Apple. I compared the pricing recently, but I don't remember how the deals compared. Anybody got connections at the North Pole?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might do better with Verizon if they accept your Xs as a trade in. I would check both Apple and Verizon though before deciding.

Other folks have stated that Verizon will charge an activation fee for a new iPhone 12 5G. Not sure what happens when you buy from Apple.

I'm on T-Mobile and use their over 65 plan. 2 Lines with unlimited text, calls, and data for $60/month including all taxes. I usually buy the no sim version of the iPhone from Apple and then just swap my sim to the new phone. No activation fee.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I checked both a week or so ago, but I don't remember the details of the deals I was eligible for at the time. I'm definitely going to check both places. Like you, I would get the sim free version and just swap cards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like you, I would get the sim free version and just swap cards.

According to other Verizon users you may have to get a new sim from Verizon if you want 5G and also pay an activation fee. Not sure of all the details so your best bet is to contact their customer service and ask. If there's a Verizon store nearby, that's best. Just go into the store and strike up a deal.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a Verizon store a few minutes from me, but I think I will have to make an appointment due to some of the COVID restrictions.

I ran the numbers a few minutes ago, and the Verizon deal is a few bucks a month better if you pay by the month. I could do the phone change with the Verizon deal change through the Apple site, but I get an error telling me the line isn't eligible for that upgrade. I think it is because my current plan isn't unlimited, but that was already slated to change tomorrow anyway.

I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I need an appointment.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We have all three stores in our neighborhood: T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T and as far as I know, they are still open for walk ins. The only restriction is that you wear a face mask.

I'm getting tired of running around looking like the Lone Ranger, I'll be glad when this pandemic is in our rear view mirror.

My Sister in Law who is a nurse practitioner at one of the larger hospitals in Dallas received her first shot of the Covid vaccine last week. She has one more shot to take (I think in two weeks). So it appears that medical workers, police, fire, and other front liners are starting to get the vaccine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)2.3 GHz Intel Core i58 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
I have an iPhone Xs purchased shortly after they were released and currently on IOS 14.4. For several months now, I've had an interesting issue that seems to be getting worse. When I answer the phone normally, I can barely hear the person on the other end of the call, no matter how quiet the surroundings are. Initially, I noticed this on calls to/from one contact. Now it affects every call. Here's what I know so far:

1. This problem has gotten progressively worse over the last several months.
2. I'm running the 14.4 Beta, installed a few minutes ago, but the problem has existed across several IOS releases (final and Beta).
3. The volume is fine for any audio activity other than incoming calls (speakerphone, video playback, etc.).
4. I've checked every audio-related setting I can think of on the phone with no improvement.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I checked the Apple support site earlier tonight but didn't find anything I hadn't already tried
I quick scanned through the other replies and didn't see anything about the speaker itself, but I had an 8 that had a speaker go out. Apparently an issue with that model and I received a replacement through Verizon
Hope you figure it out

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I saw some of those questions on the Apple forum. Fortunately for me, SWMBO decided I was on the nice list long enough this year to deserve a new phone. We're going that route before she changes her mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)2.3 GHz Intel Core i58 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
I saw some of those questions on the Apple forum. Fortunately for me, SWMBO decided I was on the nice list long enough this year to deserve a new phone. We're going that route before she changes her mind.
Good for you!
If you like taking photos, the camera's are awesome on the 12!

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should be taking photos much more than I do. I've been at family events several times and thought, "I should have brought the camera," only to realize later that the camera on my Xs is far better than my digital point and shoot camera from years ago.

I'm sitting on pins because the phone won't arrive for several days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.