iPhone battery replacement

Reaction score
my iPhone 7 is having battery issues. Is it possible to get that battery replaced? Not sure because the phone is so old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
my iPhone 7 is having battery issues. Is it possible to get that battery replaced? Not sure because the phone is so old.
Well, that iPhone dates to 2016 and most would likely recommend replacement; but you can check your battery's health with Coconut Battery if the app runs on your old Mac? Below is my iPad Pro cabled into my laptop showing 89% health and 657 cycles - when those numbers drop into the 70s for health and exceed 1000 for cycles, then time to make a decision.

A professional replacement would likely cost around $100, although if you're a DIY handy with small tools then iFixit has a kit for $30 (including the battery) and a repair guide (check the link and pic below) - as to your data, be sure to back up the device on your computer or on iCloud. Dave

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 5.02.36 PM.png Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 1.36.40 PM.png

OP
S
Reaction score
health is down to 75 % and just yesterday it started to lose charge really quickly -- down to 1 % in about a half an hour or so, then today it's already down to 68% after a full charge. I think it's time to get a replacement. Don't want to do it myself. Best Buy charges around $69.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
If I may be a distracting nuisance for one second, I would like to ask the following: Is it the consensus among mac-forums members that cocunutbattery3 (same link as @RadDave's) is safe to download and safe to use? I'm a nervous nellie.

Thanks. :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If I may be a distracting nuisance for one second, I would like to ask the following: Is it the consensus among mac-forums members that cocunutbattery3 (same link as @RadDave's) is safe to download and safe to use? I'm a nervous nellie.

Thanks. :)
Yes, it's fine.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score

Apple may not be willing to do it, but somebody will.

I don't know where you are located and what is available to you nearby, but at least where I am, just about any big indoor mall will have a kiosk where they will do a battery replacement for you.

At one time my wife's iPhone was fairly old, but she just wanted a new battery. I took it to the Apple Store in the local mall, and they wanted $85 to do it, and I would have to come back some other day for them to do it.

I walked out into the mall, and just a few yards away was a kiosk where they repaired iPhones. I asked if they could replace the battery in my wife's iPhone, and they said "Sure! $35." I asked when they could do it, and the guy said "right now!".

He took the phone, and worked on it right in front of me. He had it open in about 5 seconds, and had the battery replaced with a new one in well less than 10 minutes!

The phone was like new for a year after that, when we traded it in on a brand new iPhone. It was an excellent experience.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Reaction score
...Is it the consensus among mac-forums members that cocunutbattery3... is safe to download and safe to use? I'm a nervous nellie.

This is the Macintosh. There are extremely few nasties for the Mac (unlike for Windows). The few nasties that exist are almost all Trojan Horses. Trojan Horses can't self-replicate. That means that they have to be disseminated someway that is anonymous (so the creator can't be traced back and put in prison).

A stable Web site of a known software developer isn't anonymous. So...downloading software from just about every and any established software developer, or from Apple's own Mac App Store, is just about always perfectly safe.

If you are concerned, you can download this excellent free anti-virus program and use it to scan anything that you download to check to see that it is safe:

VirusBarrier Free Edition (free)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/VirusBarrier-Scanner/id1200445649

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Apple may not be willing to do it, but somebody will.

We had a third party franchise type outfit, Dr Phone I believe was the name of the firm, who replaced the battery in my wife's iPhone 6s a few months ago and they provide a good decent guarantee and warranty for a total price of $40.00 Canadian.

Certainly affordable for those who don't want to do it themselves which can be a bit fiddly just to save a few bucks.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 16gbRam 500gb SSD Drive
You can change you own battery, the trick is lifting the screen and inserting the tool to release the adhesive around the screen. At this point it is too easy to insert the tool between the screens layers and ruin the screen. At this point throw away the iPhone7 as I had to :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can change you own battery, the trick is lifting the screen and inserting the tool to release the adhesive around the screen. At this point it is too easy to insert the tool between the screens layers and ruin the screen. At this point throw away the iPhone7 as I had to :(

As you say, yes you probably can the question is whether you should.

Personally, even if 1 is a pretty good handyman and do it yourselfer and enjoys working with precise small fiddly things, I would suggest the $40/00cdn it cost us for my wife's iPhone 6s at a local franchise shop that specializes in such work was well worth the money, and a full guarantee of satisfaction and success.

- Patrick
=======

JesseMorrison

Reaction score
Well, that iPhone dates to 2016 and most would likely recommend replacement; but you can check your battery's health with Coconut Battery if the app runs on your old Mac? Below is my iPad Pro cabled into my laptop showing 89% health and 657 cycles - when those numbers drop into the 70s for health and exceed 1000 for cycles, then time to make a decision.

A professional replacement would likely cost around $100, although if you're a DIY handy with small tools then iFixit has a kit for $30 (including the battery) and a repair guide (check the link and pic below) - as to your data, be sure to back up the device on your computer or on iCloud. Dave

View attachment 39280 View attachment 39281
Thanks I never knew about such kit existing, is it also available for the newer models as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If you are concerned, you can download this excellent free anti-virus program and use it to scan anything that you download to check to see that it is safe:

VirusBarrier Free Edition (free)
‎Intego VirusBarrier Scanner
Randy & Others - I've used Intergo's free VirusBarrier for years - now have two new Macs (M2 Air laptop & M3 iMac) and have had concerns: 1) V. 1.2 is 3 years old (despite the app updating definitions); 2) Temps on my computers have always increased dramatically as the app runs (2nd image below on my M2 laptop - usually runs in the 90º F range but shoots up to 150+ almost immediately - and no fan on this machine); and 3) the app is SLOWW... - went through only 3000 files in 10-15 mins - yes, a first run but don't feel like waiting for 100,000 or more. NOTE - this was the same behavior on my old laptops (MBP & Air).

These are just my observations - I've used the app but not completely happy as above. Just wondering how others may have similar or varied experiences. Thanks. Dave

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 10.56.48 PM.png Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 11.05.26 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Just wondering how others may have similar or varied experiences.
I uninstalled it years ago, and just rely on smart browsing. No viruses ever come unless I do something stupid.

Reaction score
...I've used the app but not completely happy as above. ...

VirusBarrier does a very thorough scan...it looks everywhere. That's why in comparison tests it does so well, usually detecting 100% of the samples. Do you want "the best" or do you want fast?

If you would be happy with just a fast scan, for known viruses, with expected file names, in expected places, you can do a scan instead with:

DetectX Swift (free)

It will be very fast.

Here's the thing...in all likelihood, you don't need either product. The main reason to use either product is because you are paranoid, and running a scan with them assuages your fears. So, run whichever product you want, or nothing at all, the results will most likely be the same. But if you are going to be doing a scan at all, it makes sense to do it with the best product available, everything being equal (such as price).

Keep in mind that you don't have to keep on scanning your entire drive with VirusBarrier every time that you run it. Once you've scanned your entire drive once, from then on you only need to scan new software you download. So you can confine your scans narrowly to your Downloads folder, and the file attachment folder in your e-mail program. Those scans should be very quick, and still perfectly effective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VirusBarrier does a very thorough scan...it looks everywhere. That's why in comparison tests it does so well, usually detecting 100% of the samples. Do you want "the best" or do you want fast?

If you would be happy with just a fast scan, for known viruses, with expected file names, in expected places, you can do a scan instead with:

DetectX Swift (free)

It will be very fast.

Here's the thing...in all likelihood, you don't need either product. The main reason to use either product is because you are paranoid, and running a scan with them assuages your fears. So, run whichever product you want, or nothing at all, the results will most likely be the same. But if you are going to be doing a scan at all, it makes sense to do it with the best product available, everything being equal (such as price).

Keep in mind that you don't have to keep on scanning your entire drive with VirusBarrier every time that you run it. Once you've scanned your entire drive once, from then on you only need to scan new software you download. So you can confine your scans narrowly to your Downloads folder, and the file attachment folder in your e-mail program. Those scans should be very quick, and still perfectly effective.
Thanks Randy - I also have DetectXSwift on my machines - I rarely use either of these apps (also same about OnyxX) unless some malware issue seems to have occurred, also a rarity and usually a browser attack/pop-up. Still don't understand the temp increase which has happened on all of my machines over the years. Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2) Temps on my computers have always increased dramatically as the app runs (2nd image below on my M2 laptop - usually runs in the 90º F range but shoots up to 150+ almost immediately - and no fan on this machine);

Wow... I haven't checked on what normal temperatures such machines should be running at but the ones in your graph seem to be rather on the hot side to me and exposure to electronic circuits.

Apple's article doesn't seem to be much help for such users:
Keep your Mac laptop within acceptable operating temperatures

Your Macs just seem to be running a bit on the hot side to me but maybe that's normal for those models. Regardless I think I would be inclined to add a bit of cooling, passive or not.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.