iPhone 8 SMS problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Hi all,

My sister-in-law (who's on the O2 network) has an iPhone 8. Most of her friends and acquaintances have iPhones too. I've got an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S2 running Jellybean - I know, don't laugh!) and I'm on GiffGaff.

Previously she was on an iPhone 5 and we had no problems. Ever since she got the iPhone 8, she and I have had a terrible time sending/receiving text messages between ourselves. If I send her a text, it will show at my end as sent, but she won't receive it or will only get it after a long delay. If she tries to text me, more often than not it shows up at her end as "Undelivered".

Last night (Sunday Jan 16th), at nearly midnight, I was in bed and dropping off to sleep when my phone gave out a text alert. I got up to see who could be needing to contact me so late. It turned out to be a text from my sister-in-law ...one that she sent me on December 29th!

I had wondered whether it was a network-related problem, but the fact is, I don't have this problem with anyone else, regardless of what kind of mobile they've got.

Any thoughts, folks? All suggestions gratefully received. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I had wondered whether it was a network-related problem, but the fact is, I don't have this problem with anyone else, regardless of what kind of mobile they've got.
Maybe it's her O2 network that is having the issue?

I also experience these issues occasionally on my iPhone 12 using the Verizon Wireless network. When I force/restart/hard restart my iPhone, it usually fixes this issue.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm with Bob (ferrarr) on this. I'm also with O2 and so is my wife and we both have iPhones - yet, there are times when there is a significant delay in sending/delivered and the other Receiving.

It always happens when one or other of us is NOT on WiFi - ie we are using the O2 network. Also had same problem with the receiver of the message being an Android user - BUT again when not using WiFi.

These are few-and-far between events, I admit; but I'm pretty certain it's an O2 problem.

We have an O2 shop in town. You can anticipate their response. The problem goes away itself.

@Horsa - if an O2 shop is anywhere near you, pop in and see if they can help. You can try phoning O2 if you're "feeling lucky punk". (That's a quote OK; not an insult) :)

Ian

OP
Horsa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Thanks, guys. You wanna know the really ironic part of this? Giffgaff uses the O2 network for all its traffic - it's effectively an O2 reseller! :D

Re. WiFi vs mobile data: that's the other weird bit. Most of our texts to/from each other are made when she's at home and her iPhone is accessing her WiFi. It's all very odd...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have the same problem here in the US. It's usually because of network traffic but seems to be more pronounced when sending texts as SMS instead of iMessage. Part of that blame goes to Apple since they refuse to develop iMessage for the Android.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.