iphone 6s plus can start when power on off button pressed but cannot proceed to passcode number page

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
It just goes black and doesn't even give opportunity to switch it off. l tried the procedures at If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won'''t turn on or is frozen - Apple Support
it definitely isn't because there is no charge left in the battery, as the white screen with the black apple logo appears as if normal switch on. but l do know the condition of the battery is poor needing replacing. could replacing the battery fix this problem?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If you really have tried all of the suggestions on the linked page you provided there are no other suggestions I can think of. What happens if you turn it off then plug it into power?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
I don't have opportunity to switch it off, it switches on as if normal but before the passcode numbers appear, it just switches itself off, plugged in or not. there is a shop that replace iphone batteries without having to wipe out the hard drive, perhaps worth a try? suggestions?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I imagine you’ve tried plugging it into a computer to see if it can be synced. If that didn’t work and you’ve tried everything else then yes, that’s probably your only remaining option.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
it definitely isn't because there is no charge left in the battery, as the white screen with the black apple logo appears as if normal switch on
That behavior is what happens when the battery is totally flat. The screen stays dark until the charge is improved to 1-2% and then a battery icon appears with a single red line showing it barely above zero. It won't boot until there is a certain minimum charge in the battery. You have not said, but what happens if you put it on a charger, power it up, let it go black and then just wait a while? It can take a bit for the battery to get enough charge to let it display anything at all.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The suggestions on the link provided by the OP include that so as I said if all of those suggestions have been followed then I can only assume the battery is dead. That surprises me though, usually it's a slow progressive process of deterioration. Perhaps it's a power circuit issue or the charge cable is faulty (always a strong possibility worth eliminating) and I think also covered in the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Yeah, I knew that, Rod, but the OP's statement that, "it definitely isn't because there is no charge left in the battery, as the white screen with the black apple logo appears as if normal switch on" simply is not true. The Apple does appear for a brief time, even with a supposedly dead battery, as long as there is any residual power in it, then the screen goes black to allow ALL external power to feed the battery to get it off the floor. So I posed my question just to make sure the OP doesn't persist in thinking the battery is fine and charged just because the apple logo shows up for a few seconds.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
The suggestions on the link provided by the OP include that so as I said if all of those suggestions have been followed then I can only assume the battery is dead. That surprises me though, usually it's a slow progressive process of deterioration. Perhaps it's a power circuit issue or the charge cable is faulty (always a strong possibility worth eliminating) and I think also covered in the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
there were signs that battery is near its end, because sometimes it be like 30% left but switch off, until power it up again, but this was sporadic, as most of the time it goes down to ~10% before it would easily just power off until charge up. l have tried another cable, even though the initial cable was fine, as charges ipads and other iphones fine. the other cable is just the same. it powers it up and then it just goes black out after the white screen and black apple icon appear. it definitely not because the battery is flat. connecting to my mbpr itunes or power plug has the same results :( l think a new battery (from a small private shop that fixes mobiles, laptops incl apple) is the only option. suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
suggestions?

Yes. Quit fooling around with it and get the battery replaced before you mess the phone up and need a new one. :wink

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.