iPhone 4 Return Experiences... Post Here

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
PS... I have no idea how to contact you. Please check you Mac Forums private message inbox for my contact information.
Thanks

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still SOL here on my return... Newgistics was a complete dead end. Actually, they have a really good scam going as far is shirking any responsibility for the items they handle for their clients. I contacted the person within their company whom they suggested. I was told that they basically have some guy who goes to the post office once or twice a week to pick up any returns that they processing for thier clients. Once this happens, it's out of the USPS's hands and out of their tracking system. USPS is no longer involved here and cannot help. Basically the Newgistics person who picks up the returns from the Post Office is suppose to get them logged in and sent off to an AT&T warehouse, or whatever destination they are headed towards. The iPhone 4 returns never go to any Newgistics facility at all, but rather get sent to an AT&T warehouse. I'm guessing the "value-added" by Newgistics is their awesome tracking and management system? Since the USPS tracking website and records show the package as having been picked up, I was told that the reason it wasn't in Newgistic's online tracking system is that the label or bar code must have been damaged in handling or entered improperly into the system. My box was most likely along with all the others, probably sitting in one of AT&T's warehouses. Or it could be posted on eBay by the idiot Newgistics employee who does Minneapolis pickups and never logged my package. The next opportunity to find it would be whenever AT&T stumbles upon my box, opens it and reads in the EMI number or serial number. That could be today or next year. The Newgistics website at this point will reflect only the date the label was printed since genius never logged it in or notated a "damaged package" was picked up. See, since it was hot-potato handed off to AT&T, it's not Newgistic's problem anymore. It's on AT&T's side of the fence.

Newgistics considers their job to be complete at this point and is out of the loop. They do not seem to have any follow up on who may have picked up your shipment from the Post Office or any information on whether the shipment pick up that they arranged for AT&T ever arrived at AT&T, or what items were contained in that shipment when it arrived. No notes exist regarding, for example: "One box from Minneapolis addressed to Newgistics with damaged label and partial RMA number". And this begs the question, if the label were damaged, how would USPS have known it goes to the Newgistics guy to pick up anyhow? Assuming the label was damaged and just said "Newgistics" and nothing else, why didn't the pick up person contact the Newgistics mothership and ask how to log the package as received. Did he mail it off to some other company that Newgistics works for? There is apparently no system in place to verify that the person who picked up the packages actually mailed all of the items he picked up. Basically, whoever picked up the box could have left it in the trunk after signing it out from USPS.

So, now officially we have the label printed on the 7th or July, and picked up by Newgistics personnel from the USPS on the 14th of July. The folks you talk to on the phone at AT&T have no way to contact their own warehouse to have someone go routing around for my phone, and no way to contact Newgistics (who don't know where the packages they forward go anyhow). Apparently, my next step is to wait until after August 14th to have a lost/stolen report filed. Once that happens, it's another 30 days to investigate for fraud. Yes, I'll be forwarding AT&T's fraud inquiries to the USPS and Newgistics. After that, if AT&T decides I actually mailed the phone back, they can refund money I'm out, and cancel my service if I desire. The caveat being I have to keep paying them during the whole process. What a joke. Done for now. Contacting the BBB and the Postmaster on both of these joker companies.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AT&T has finally confirmed that my iPhone 4 return was legitimate, and that it was likely lost/stolen by their vendor's employees. Now that that's taken care of, I have to wait 7 days for my account to be updated to reflect my original contract end date. My account is still "escalated" which means the folks you talk to on the phone can't do anything with it until the loss/fraud folks officially close on it in 7 business days. Once that is updated, I can cancel my account without the $325 early termination fee for the the phone I returned on July 14th. Guess they squeezed and additional month and a half of service out of me at the end of the day. Still will have to pay an $80 ETF, which is actually less than another month's service. Glad to be on my way out (fingers crossed). Take away: don't have a take away anymore, just glad to get released soon!

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally. I was able to cancel my AT&T iPhone account. Didn't realize I had been with Cingular/AT&T since 2005! Story is over finally. They screwed up my end of term date from 11/2010 to 12/2010, but at this point who cares. $75 ETF and I'm outta here! One and a half months to get closure on a phone return. The iPhone was nice, but I AM GLAD to not be with AT&T anymore. Anyone want to by an iPhone 3G LOL?
Dave

Reaction score
Smoothest exchange i've had with anything

I've never owned an apple/mac anything before, but always liked the iphone so right before I knew the iPhone4 was coming out I snagged a 3GS and got on the unlimited data plan and was within that grace period to upgrade to the iphone4 for free (minus the restocking fee of the 3GS). I loved the phone(s) enough that when my PC crapped out I went and splurged on the 27" iMac and have been enamoured with it. Then topped it off with an iPad :)

So when I started having issues with my IP4 I was concerned, but happy to know that I could still return the iMac at this point if apple would screw me over on the phone :)

The phone would charge fine from the computer, but plugged in to the wall or car for more than 10 minutes and it would get so hot I would have to unplug the wall/lighter end of the cable because I couldn't hold the phone to disconnect that end. Of course it had the temperature warning and emergency call only slidebar with no backlight for another 10 minutes while it cooled down. It only happened a few times too. But after the latest one I noticed the camera wasn't auto-focusing any more and there was a more than noticible "normal" rattle in the phone as well as the home button just not quite clicking right (it worked, but the physical "click" had changed).

I contacted apple support and was told just to make sure it wasn't a sensor error and asked for me to totally wipe and reinstall the firmware on the phone. Obviously they were more concerned about the temperature warning than it being physically too hot to touch. So I did what they said just to make them happy. Little did I know that would wipe out the records of the warnings displayed (which they look for at the genius bar at the apple store). But lucky me - I needed to use my low-battery phone while on my way to the apple store, plugged it in, got the warning in about 15 minutes and was hot enough to keep the warning screen up for over 6 minutes after unplugging it.

The girl at the genius bar did her thing and was incredibly nice. She was quick, read whatever internal log the phone keeps, and only asked 2 questions: "did it happed more than once", and "did it happen when using different chargers, not the same charger every time?" She saw the latest alert record, had me sign the paper and gave me a brand new phone.

I have worse times trying to return defective "cheap" items at bestbuy, where I'm a premium member, than I did as a newbie at Apple. I haven't been this happy with a company in a long time.

new "cool" phone + new netflix app + pandora + grandfathered unlimited data plan = happy scavok

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G
Well I was having proximity sensor issues and was really frustrated even after the 4.1 update. I had heard it was perhaps a hardware issue with some of the phones so I took it into an Apple store with a Genius appointment. I had to wait a few minutes after my appointment time to get assisted, but after about 2 and a half minutes I had a new Iphone in my hands that seems to be working properly.

They disappointed me with the Iphone 4 issues, but impressed me with their customer service!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.