iPhone 4 Jailbreak released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
What I'm curious about, is whether or not app devs will update their apps in order that they run on all OS versions and not just the likes of 3.1 or 4.0 etc.. I'm still on 3.0 and a lot of apps can't be installed because I would have to update the OS.

Why would you not want to at least update to 3.1.2 if it would improve your app compatibility?

The devs of JB apps are no different than the devs of the apps in the App Store. There are sometimes quirks and conflicts when a new OS update is released. Usually, within a couple weeks the JB apps on Cydia are updated just like the apps in the App Store. There are still thousands of apps in the App Store which are not fully compatible with iOS 4 yet. In time they are updated though. 95% of the most popular Cydia apps are already 4.0 compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Is it that they are not confident or simply don't want to listen to people whining abut bandwidth and how sluggish it may (or may not) be? I suspect it was a smart move on their part to keep resources available for as many users as possible. Doesn't mean I like it though. This is one of those many reasons they need to invest more in their infrastructure. Then again, I wonder if Verizon would actually be any better, I know Sprint and T-Mo wouldn't be.

Agreed, but I don't think that areas where their network is great and also happen to be vastly populated, there are many complaints. I wonder what the stats are for Verizon's user base considering they consist of so many Blackberry users, which were in full effect before during and still after the advent of such things as the iPhone and the App store. But yeah, they really do need to take their profits and sink them into their infrastructure.

I actually DO think that Sprint would be better. They're likely the least used company of the group, which I would assume bodes well for a clean network, and if they're also continuing to deploy 4G technology across the country, it can only get better. Sprint, for the record, has always been pretty stellar in NYC from my experience.

Why would you not want to at least update to 3.1.2 if it would improve your app compatibility?

The devs of JB apps are no different than the devs of the apps in the App Store. There are sometimes quirks and conflicts when a new OS update is released. Usually, within a couple weeks the JB apps on Cydia are updated just like the apps in the App Store. There are still thousands of apps in the App Store which are not fully compatible with iOS 4 yet. In time they are updated though. 95% of the most popular Cydia apps are already 4.0 compatible.

I couldn't because I was running on 3.0 and was reading that updating to 3.1 or higher would likely have ruined my chances at keeping my phone unlocked. I needed it to be because I'm now in EU. I'll be back in NY in a couple of weeks, and will likely look to update it then. Maybe to 4.0 if possible. Though at this point it doesn't matter I guess. The wifi on my iPhone just doesn't work anymore, kind of out of the blue. And I'm going Android as well. I'll keep the iPhone for when I travel out of the country since verizon or Sprint phones aren't SIM compatible. (bar an Blackberry or so)

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
YES!!!! Finally! that took too long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Alright I did this jailbreak also. It was very simple and works great. Using face time walking in the park over 3G was a trip!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Alright I did this jailbreak also. It was very simple and works great. Using face time walking in the park over 3G was a trip!

If it's only one reason to jailbreak facetime over 3G would be it.

OP
roeiboot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
(ps. i see talks about MyWi and My3G --it's from the same developer but different apps...)

i know it hasn't been long, but any negative effect on battery life ?

(+ i am still wanting to exchange my iPhone 4 due to yellow'ish photos in low light)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I actually DO think that Sprint would be better. They're likely the least used company of the group, which I would assume bodes well for a clean network, and if they're also continuing to deploy 4G technology across the country, it can only get better. Sprint, for the record, has always been pretty stellar in NYC from my experience.

I know people who work for Sprint. 4G is kind of an inside joke with them. In fact, so is 3G. I may have issues with AT&T from time to time, but I'd never even consider a move to Sprint. Ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 3GS & iPhone4 Factory Unlocked.
doesnt this bring back memories? first gen iphone jailbreak? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Jailbroke this morning. Slowly getting all the necessary apps installed. Cydia's repositories are getting hammered since the announcement.

KoDorSean, this doesn't really effect the choice of jailbreaking or not, even if you decide not to jailbreak, your device is open to an attack like this. All iOS devices, jailbroken or not, are now very vulnerable to this attack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

The Jailbreak actually gives one an opportunity to protect themselves from the exploit, not the other way around. With the JB you can install a .deb file which will execute a script that opens a pop up window asking if the user wants to open the offending file from the website they're on. This exploit has nothing to do with the jailbreak. So in fact, you can actually say that a JB iPhone is safer than one which is not, at this particular moment.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
doesnt this bring back memories? first gen iphone jailbreak? ;)

When I saw that it could be done through the browser, it brought back memories of the seamless 1.1.1 jailbreak. Ahh, good times...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Jailbroke this morning. Slowly getting all the necessary apps installed. Cydia's repositories are getting hammered since the announcement.

KoDorSean, this doesn't really effect the choice of jailbreaking or not, even if you decide not to jailbreak, your device is open to an attack like this. All iOS devices, jailbroken or not, are now very vulnerable to this attack.

The Jailbreak actually gives one an opportunity to protect themselves from the exploit, not the other way around. With the JB you can install a .deb file which will execute a script that opens a pop up window asking if the user wants to open the offending file from the website they're on. This exploit has nothing to do with the jailbreak. So in fact, you can actually say that a JB iPhone is safer than one which is not, at this particular moment.

Doug

I think more importantly this jailbreak points out a already existing serious security threat. Gaining root access via a web browser Apple is gonna have to patch this quick. This jailbreak wasn't developed by some engineer, It was a 17 year old hacker. Someone was going to find this sooner or later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
FYI, Robin mentioned on AppAdvice yesterday that the server for the device-based JB is busy, so you might get the 'server not found' message. It just means a timeout. Try again later.

She also showed the FaceTime working on 3G - slowly, but it was working :)

Reaction score
NEW EASY Idevices Jailbreak!! IOS 4.0 and 4.0.1

Just passing it along.....all you do is get on your iphone,ipad,ipod with 4.0 4.0.1 firmware and use safari and go to the following website...jailbreakme.com and slide to jailbreak....like i said just passing it along to the people that might want to do it!

First jailbreaking after the news of it being legal to jailbreak!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Finally got MyWi running. It actually seems a lot faster than before! It will actually download a whole 720p youtube video without lagging for a second! This is the best app that mankind has EVER created! It's so worth 20 bucks considering the unlimited iphone data is free throughout the U.S. Sweet!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's so worth 20 bucks considering the unlimited iphone data is free throughout the U.S. Sweet!

Um, you mean if you happen to be grandfathered into an unlimited plan of course, correct ?

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Um, you mean if you happen to be grandfathered into an unlimited plan of course, correct ?

Doug

of course... that's why I mentioned it, I'm not sure if anything varies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.