iPhone 4 battery drain issues?

Nev

Reaction score
Not paranoid!

I actually DO NOT believe you are paranoid. If the drain you are experiencing is the baseline, that is one thing, but my drain has increased with no change in usage after about one week.

I am in the same boat. Whilst there are lots of useful tips here about reducing battery drain, they all miss the essential point that suddenly, overnight, the battery started draining MUCH more quickly. In my case, I have always had Push email and bluetooth on as I need both. No change to either of those services, but suddenly, on 1st Jan, the battery life dropped by at least half. eg 100% at 7am and now 59% at 10am. For the record, I have no other apps running in the background.

Has anybody discovered the cause of the SUDDEN decrease in battery life?

A question to Developers: Is it possible that my Exchange server is trying to push something to the iPhone4 which then rejects it, so Exchange tries again? So, could it be in a push attempt/reject/retry loop? How can I see what the push traffic is?

Reaction score
same problem

I have suddenly started having the same problem of rapid battery drain. Have read all of this post and tried the recommendations. Does anyone have a further explanation and or suggestion for the cause and solution to the problem?

Iphone 4 seeing a similar rapid drain this morning the phone went from 100% to 45% from 8am to 11:25 with minimal usage.

Reaction score
I had the same issue with mine, it ended up being the "battery doctor pro" (the one with the red cross in the icon) app i'd downloaded and installed a couple of days before, after running the battery mantainance feature in the app my battery usage went crazy.
i only realised what the problem was after installing the same app on my wifes phone and having the same problem.
from what i gather, the app runs all the time recording your battery usage.
deleted the app off both phones and have gone back to the same battery usage as before.

Reaction score
update

After trying all the suggestions to recover my battery performance I finally found something that made a difference. After resetting The Exchange server email account the battery performance returned to the previous level.

Life is good again

Reaction score
I am on day three of charge...and I have been texting, surfing, using email regularly. If I am on the net intensively the battery will last a full day. but if im just using my phone regularly i should get 4 days out of it.

Reaction score
Same problem fixed for now!!

I have the iphone 4 for almost two months now and the battery drain issue happened like one month ago then I drain the battery to almost empty (not quite remember), then charged it to full, it was well for a month also. The same thing happened again 2 days ago, like dropping from 80% to 40% in 2 hours when it was on standby. Then I downloaded battery doctor pro, followed the instructions, charge it to full and all that, the battery still drained the same. I removed the battery doctor, searched for all the possible solutions..decided to restore the phone as new. Hoping it would help, but the battery draining worsened..the phone was warm ALL the time on standby, also the usage time=standby time..which is really ODD!! So decided to bring the phone back to the retailer the next day..However, the night before I went to get a replacement, the phone was so drained that it switched itself off ( 8 hours after 100% charged), so I plugged it in wall charger, while it was almost fully charged, i decided to soft reboot ( i think it's called "soft reboot"?) the phone by pressing home button and sleep/awake button for a while till the apple logo appears..also I reset the network setting as well. After it charged to 100%, I unplugged it, left it overnight..VIOLA!! it still stayed 100%!! and usage time=0 and standby time= whatever that I slept for!! and it's been well since..today is the 1st full day after it's recovered though. I had wifi on, push off, location service off and 3G off though..and only have very basic apps that I am sure that won't run in the background. Also added my email accounts include one exchange one. I thought restoring it is the ultimate nuclear solution, but it seemed not..I guess maybe draining it to shut itself did the trick? I do notice that if the phone gets warm during standby, that means the battery is draining real fast!!! Now I am obsessed with feeling the back of my phone every so often to check whether it's getting warm or not!! Anyway..this is what I experienced..fingers crossed it's fixed for good!! hope that helps!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I actually DO NOT believe you are paranoid. If the drain you are experiencing is the baseline, that is one thing, but my drain has increased with no change in usage after about one week.

It started over the holiday weekend, where I would put the phone into standby and it would drain as fast as if was being used regularly. I lost 35% of my battery in four hours time. Yes, the 3G is on, and the phone checks for emails once every 15 minutes, but come on! It didn't have that same problem a week ago! Also, it has started becoming much warmer to the touch when charging. this was not happening before.

I love the phone, but I want it to perform as it should and was the first week. Another strange issue is that the standby and usage times were lockstep for the first 28 minutes, even though I had the screen off. I don't understand how the phone can report simultaneous standby AND usage for the first 28 minutes. Anyone looking at the menu would think that it had been 56 minutes since the last charge, which it hadn't.

it gets warm regardless, after the display is on its right under the glass. so its obisously going to warm up the screen

Reaction score
Battery drain

Okay this is really frustrating me now. My iPhone4 is just 3 months old and now the battery can't get less than 51%! whenever it reaches 51%, it automatically gets drained to 0%! It used to drain from just 31% to 0% earlier this week, but now the battery gets drained when 51% battery is left. Really need some professional help in this. Please do help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013),
i noticed that my battery drained faster then my blackberry.I made adjustments and still drained faster than I would like. I went online and did some research and ended up buying a mophie juice pack plus and have not had any issues since. Yes it is a bit expensive but I feel it is well worth it knowing that I have an extra 8 hours of battery life in the event I dont get home or have my charger available.

Reaction score
Turn off Location Services for Safari!

My battery had also suddenly started draining way too fast couple of days ago. It was fine until then. After turning a bunch of stuff on and off, I found the culprit: Safari's location services were on. Once I turned that off, it went back to normal. Hope that will solve the issue for some of you!

Reaction score
Remember that an Iphone is a computer

An Iphone is a computer with a CPU, memory etc. The OS should really include an App that lets you see the CPU usage, memory usage etc...

My battery was draining like nuts (10%/hour) in standby mode, and I tried all the above tips in a blind manner without success until the point where I decided to understand what was going on!

First of all just like any other PC it should do NOTHING most of the time. That is the CPU should be idle 90% of the time.

Buy (unfortunately!) an app such as System Status and check your CPU usage. If it shows something like 80% activity, you have some app that is looping! Check the system log and I bet you that you will find zillion of log entries for an app trying to do something over and over. In my case it was Email, which was trying and failing to connect every 30s because I had no network! This is obviously a bug! So disabling 3G or Wifi has exactly the counter effect as expected. It drains the battery by preventing email to connect and forcing it to loop!

I’m travelling in a foreign country at the moment so I have no 3G and no WiFi. The only option was to disable email.

Reaction score
Solutions for iPhone 4 Excessive Battery Draining

There are always bugs and problems with any software update. And iOS 4.3 update is also not an exception. Recently many iPhone 4 users faced some problems with battery life after upgrading to iOS 4.3 firmware. PocketLing blog found out that battery draining issue in iPhone 4 is happening because of the new feature added to your device called “Ping”.

Do you face the same Battery Drain issue after upgrading your iPhone 4 or any other iDevice to iOS 4.3? Here is first method to disable "Ping" and improve iPhone 4 battery life.

Launch Home Screen and go to Settings
Select General, then Restrictions
Enter 4 digit pass code
Scroll down to Ping settings and click on the switch to disable it.
It may save 2 hours of your iOS device.

If the first method is not working for you, here is second method to stop iOS 4.3 Battery life problems:

Turn the iPhone 4 off and then on again.
Go to Setting > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Here is another link that will help you adjust some common settings that could be draining your battery life...

Tips: iPhone Battery Draining Too Fast? | iPhone Alley - iPhone news, app reviews, and accessories

I hope this helps you as it did for me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.