iPhone 13 Pro Max issue with a car radio with the Made for iPhone feature

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have a car radio which has the Made for iPhone feature and a USB port.

When I connect an iPhone 8 or an iPad 9 on the USB port, I can hear sounds from the Music app and the Phone app (or any other calling app) in the car radio speakers.

When I connect an iPhone 13 Pro Max on the USB port, I can hear sounds from the Music app in the car radio speakers but not the sound from the Phone app (or any other calling app).

I restarted the car radio and the iPhone 13 but I still can’t hear the sounds from the Phone app (or any other calling app) in the car speakers .

Is there some settings in the iPhone 13 that prevent hearing sounds in my car radio speakers when I use calling apps?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are you using the same USB cord to connect both iPhones?
Is your radio compatible with the newer iPhone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hear! Hear! Jim B.

Before I was able to get/use Apple Car Play, I had varying difficulties syncing my iPhone with the car "audio system".

Now, with Car Play, it's just so easy and, of course, you get access to all the apps on your iPhone. As well as Music, there's various Maps (Google, Apple of course and Waze - the latter of no use to me in a relative backwater as regards traffic); and Messages which you can dictate, Send & Receive via Siri. No hands needed. And all the rest.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If your car radio doesn't support CarPlay but has BT, just use that to get all audio streaming to the car speakers without any issues. You'll also use the cars microphones instead of the phone.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I tried a Car Play compatible radio and didn't like it. I couldn't adjust the angle of the screen and because of the glare, I couldn't properly follow Maps directions during the day most of the time. Adjusting the angle of my iPhone holder makes it much better. I may also have had the same calling issue with it.

I don't want to use Bluetooth because the iPhone doesn't always connect automatically. I have to manually reconnect. It easier to just connect the cable.

I mainly only use Music, Maps, which transmit sounds properly in the radio and phone calls which doesn't. But I can also dictate Messages or do other stuff as well with Siri with the iPhone. Older iPhones are working just fine with the USB connection. I would like to keep the current radio and figure out the calling issue with the iPhone 13.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I use Bluetooth to connect my iPhone in multiple vehicles. I find it much easier than finding a cable and plugging it in unless I need to charge the phone. When I press the "media" button in my Kia my iPhone is the only device listed. I can control the phone from buttons on the steering wheel including answering phone calls.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't want to use Bluetooth because the iPhone doesn't always connect automatically. I have to manually reconnect. It easier to just connect the cable.
That's not how any of my cars that have BT support have ever worked. This is also not how BT works in general. You have to pair the devices once, but after that, the connection should happen each time automatically.

For example, my BT headphones are paired with my MBP. I turn the headphones off at night. In the morning, I login to my MBP and then power on the headphones which immediately connects to the MBP and is available for use. The only time I have to manually reconnect is when I take the powered on headphones out of BT range, it disconnects, but will not reconnect when I get back into range. This is also expected behavior.

I mainly only use Music, Maps, which transmit sounds properly in the radio and phone calls which doesn't. But I can also dictate Messages or do other stuff as well with Siri with the iPhone. Older iPhones are working just fine with the USB connection. I would like to keep the current radio and figure out the calling issue with the iPhone 13.
What specific radio do you have?

If things are working with the older iPhone, it should most likely work with the newer iPhone.

OP
L
Reaction score
That's not how any of my cars that have BT support have ever worked. This is also not how BT works in general. You have to pair the devices once, but after that, the connection should happen each time automatically.

For example, my BT headphones are paired with my MBP. I turn the headphones off at night. In the morning, I login to my MBP and then power on the headphones which immediately connects to the MBP and is available for use. The only time I have to manually reconnect is when I take the powered on headphones out of BT range, it disconnects, but will not reconnect when I get back into range. This is also expected behavior.

What specific radio do you have?

If things are working with the older iPhone, it should most likely work with the newer iPhone.
Radio: Kenwood KDC-BT365U

I understand it's not working as it should.

OP
L
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question, but have you actually paired the new iPhone with the radio? How do do that is described on page 15 of the user guide for the radio I found here:

This is not a dumb question. I welcome any suggestion. I appreciate the time you and all others have spent trying to figure out a solution.

Yes,, this is how I pair my cells. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you see there was a firmware update for your stereo?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Radio: Kenwood KDC-BT365U

I understand it's not working as it should.
So looking at the specs of the BT portion, it states..

• HFP(Hands Free Profile)
  • SPP(Serial Port Profile)
  • PBAP(Phonebook Access Profile)
  • A2DP(Advanced Audio Distribution Profile)
  • AVRCP(Audio/Video Remote Control Profile)
The HFP gives the ability to make phone calls, A2DP gives you audio playback and AVRCP gives you the ability to control that playback.

So, looks like things should work through BT.

Now, through the USB interface, my guess is that between iPhone 8 and 13, iOS versions have changed and likely with that, what is and is not supported. I'm not sure when this "Made for iPhone/iPod" thing came around, but as Bob pointed out earlier on, there's very little detail from Apple on what that means and the Kenwood spec doesn't have details either. So it might just vary with models and versions of the OS.

OP
L
Reaction score
I tested the USB connection with an iPhone 15 with the same iOS and the calling sound works just fine through the radio. I suspect an issue with this iPhone 13. I hadn't used this radio in a while but I think it used to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then you can compare the iPhone Phone settings the iPhone 15 with the iPhone 13. There should be something that is different and may need to be enabled/disabled for it to work properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.