Iphone 12 Pro Case

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), Apple Watch: IPad Mini 3: Iphone 12 Pro
Hi Friends-

My previous phone was an iPhone 6s Plus and I had an Otterbox defender I think, and it had a clear plastic piece that covers the actual face of the phone and protected it from scratching. I am now looking at the Otterbox for an iPhone 12 Pro and it does not appear as though any version contains that clear plastic, is this correct? Can anyone tell me if current Otterbox cases have that clear plastic? It seems like its now an extra that must be purchased, can anyone confirm for me that this is correct? Thanks

Allison

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They actually sell two types: One less expensive without the plastic screen protector and the other more expensive with screen protection.

My advice is look on Amazon for other cases. I recently purchased a case for my iPhone 12 Mini that came with two plastic screen protectors: Spigen Ultra Hybrid 2nd Generation including two screen protectors, all for $11.99.

The Otterbox cases vary from $35 - $40 (no protector) to around $65 or more with protector. Unless you have the dropsies, you probably don't need an Otterbox.

Your choice. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Also, one of the differences is that the new iPhone can use wireless charging and also the new MagSafe charger, if you want to, so think about that as you get a case. I have seen lots of complaints about cases that don't implement MagSafe and so the magnets don't adhere strongly enough through the case. You also don't want to be in a case that is too thick and does not allow efficient wireless charging.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Obviously there are circumstances where a strong and perhaps even waterproof case may be required due to where and when it's used, eg rock climbing, deep sea fishing etc, but really the best case for an iPhone is the one it already has.
I too used to think I needed a screen protector and a drop proof case but soon realised that they have real drawbacks. Difficulty with plugin accessories, chargers, decreased screen clarity and touch sensitivity and all for what? A phone that looks new even when it no longer works.
Today I just have a simple silicon case, light, easy to remove, stops the phone from sliding around on polished surfaces, pleasant to hold, bump proof and does not interfere with my Qi charger or wired Pioneer ear buds.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the responses. So I got the silicone case with MagSafe when I purchased the phone and its great except I would prefer a screen protector and I miss the 2nd layer of case that comes with the Otterbox although I may change my mind on that issue. Although I do not rock climb or do any other activities that would cause worry for the safety of the phone, I have dropped it on occasion and I usually throw it in my tote when I go to work and go home etc. Maybe a separate screen protector will help me feel safer about the screen; I have used this item on my watch and iPad since I purchased them Armorsuit Screen Protector and I will say I have banged my watch and the screen is fine with this protector. Yes my iPhone 6s plus looks brand new lol, but my sons all crack up their screens in no time. I don't want my beautiful expensive phone to get cracks and scratches on the screen.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well I did have a glass screen protector on my old iPhone 7 which worked very well. Glass is great, clear, good conduction but after a few failures I decided they need to be expertly fitted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I put on a glass protector. I don't remember the brand, but it came with a frame for my particular iPhone, center the glass on the screen perfectly for me and the glass protector installed with no bubbles or flaws. The kit also had a cleaning kit to make sure there was no fingerprints or dust on the screen before the fitting. Wasn't cheap, I seem to remember about $20 or so. I'll look to see if I can find it again on the net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'll second the Zagg products. When I traded my iPhone 8 for a 10 XS, I went into the Verizon store. The young lady assisting me commented about the screen being scratched/cracked (numerous deep scratches, a possible crack, and some dirt). Her reaction upon peeling off the protector and revealing a pristine screen was priceless.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now that the Apple stores are once again open, you can buy the glass screen protector from them and they will apply it for you for free. I prefer Zagg also but I don't know if Apple sells that particular brand.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not heard of Zagg, very interesting and seems to offer some innovative items, some interest me very much like the vision guard. Lately I look like I am blinking morse code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When I got my iPhone 11 last year, my provider (T-Mobile) installed the Zagg I purchased. It came with free replacements for lifetime. I'm on my third screen protector.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I highly endorse the Zagg protectors. My wife had a 6s+ for several years that she really beat up. It had scratches and several cracks across the Zagg. When we pulled off the Zagg protector, the original display was still like new. We then donated the phone to someone who needed it.

I put a Zagg on a 7+ that we had for awhile and it too kept the screen like new. We also donated that phone.

We now have an 8, 11, and 12 Mini all with screen protectors on them.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I’m sold Zagg it is!! Thanks so much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.