iPad used instead of a Laptop?

MsB

Reaction score
I'm also trying to decide if a tablet is what I need. We are a Mac family. Currently I'm using a desk top because my laptop was just old and slow. LOL...it is now primarily used for pandora.

The desk top is normally fine for my needs but it becomes an issue when it is time to cook or when I need it in other parts of the house. I am constantly printing out recipes or running to the computer in another room to remember ingredients. What I am looking for is basically a household management device. I want to be able to access my recipes, my families calendar, lists, e-mails and browse the web. Oh we also have very little counter space in the kitchen.

I guess one of the biggest obstacles is that I have a lot of recipes in Word. Is there an easy way to transfer them all to iwork? Will icloud allow me to access everything on my desktop from ipad? I've never used iwork but many people I know who have tried it don't like it.

So would you suggest an ipad or an 11" laptop.

Thanks in advance for your help

C

chas_m

Adobe makes a wide range of apps for the iPad (I'm surprised that the respondents in this thread don't seem to know this). None of them are the equivalent of the their desktop apps for obvious reasons, but are complementary to those for the most part.

The iPad is, for most users, an ideal replacement for a notebook for light-duty use, both passive and active uses. I've used mine to write (extensively, with a BT keyboard), reply to email, book trips, edit video, create presentations, make music and other "active" uses. I admit I use it more for passive stuff than active stuff, though.

As Ivan said, having the freedom to do MOST of what you do with a computer anywhere you want is the iPad's big selling point IMO. But as Steve Jobs said, sometimes you still need a truck rather than a sports car. For those moments, there's my MacBook Pro (sitting mostly at my desk, it's not really very portable these days!). When I do the type of work where sitting at a desk is most helpful, I use the MBP. For nearly everything else, I prefer using the iPad.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess one of the biggest obstacles is that I have a lot of recipes in Word. Is there an easy way to transfer them all to iwork? Will icloud allow me to access everything on my desktop from ipad? I've never used iwork but many people I know who have tried it don't like it.

Pages (iWork) has no problem opening and editing Word documents. There are some folks who don't like Pages and there are other folks who love it. The one nice thing about Pages for iOS is that it's very functional, almost as functional as its desktop Mac counterpart. Pages for iOS is only $9.99.

However, there are other Office applications for iOS that can open and work with MS Office files. Several of them are very good. As far as transferring the Word files, you can use DropBox (free for 2 GB of storage).

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have a number of Photogaphy APPs including Photoshop Express, as well as the IOS counterparts to the iWork APPs, and several writing and other office type APPs.

I also have an Apple Wireless Keyboard that I occasionally pair to my iPad. It works great.

Bottomline: I am by no means trying to say (or even imply) that you can't do significant work with the iPad; you can. But, a replacement for my MBP--No way! The combination of comfort, power and ease of use (no mouse or trackpad with the iPad unfortunately) make my MBP my go to device when I have heavy lifting to do. For everything else (like replying to this thread) I choose my iPad.

I love my iPad and use it constantly, but if I could only have one device I would have to tearfully give it up.

My opinion. ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
What irks me the most about the iPad is YouTube. No interaction with hidden buttons on the videos. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What irks me the most about the iPad is YouTube. No interaction with hidden buttons on the videos. >_<"

Do you have an example link? Try Puffin or Skyfire - Puffin has a mouse pad function that lets you move around a cursor to show various mouse interactive elements on certain websites. I could try it out for you if you have a link.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Do you have an example link? Try Puffin or Skyfire - Puffin has a mouse pad function that lets you move around a cursor to show various mouse interactive elements on certain websites. I could try it out for you if you have a link.

No it's okay. I was talking about the Youtube application itself. I'll keep an eye out for those two sometime.

Reaction score
Pages (iWork) has no problem opening and editing Word documents... However, there are other Office applications for iOS that can open and work with MS Office files. Several of them are very good. As far as transferring the Word files, you can use DropBox (free for 2 GB of storage).

My MBP just died and I'm looking to replace it. My roommate has an iPad and says the biggest thing that stops it from replacing a notebook is that you can't email files (pdfs, word docs etc.). Is this true? Can you really not save something in Pages and email it from your iPad?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've never had the opportunity or occasion to use my iPad for email attachments as I prefer receiving and sending mail on my iMac in the office. I usually go directly to my GMail account on the Web from the iPad to read mail when I'm away. With an IMAP account mail will be in sync.

But there are other reasons why an iPad is not a replacement for a MacBook Pro. I won't go into them here, but you can read why in many various articles that have appeared in MacWorld Mag and other places. In my opinion, there is no way my 3rd Generation iPad could ever replace my Mac. It's a great device but not as a replacement for a notebook or desktop computer.

If you have to replace your MacBook Pro, my advice is to buy another MacBook Pro. Later on if you have the $$ to spend, you can think about an iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have to replace your MacBook Pro, my advice is to buy another MacBook Pro. Later on if you have the $$ to spend, you can think about an iPad.

@chscag - I'd like to start a discussion here.

If you are replacing a Macbook Pro - a compelling replacement could be an iPad/iMac - for similar money. It is totally usage dependent - but I could see for some people where a desktop and iPad could be a decent replacement for just a Laptop.

the lowest end new iPad plus the lowest end iMac would be ~$1700 USD. The lowest end 13" is ~$1200 usd and the lowest end 15" is ~$1800 USD. Lowest end rMBP ~$2200 USD.

So if you have light mobile usage (email, web browsing, light photo/video editing) you could probably just use an iPad. Also handwriting and note applications - I personally like the iPad for these. Some people like typing and recording - but since a lot of my interactions are 1 on 1 with customers - the iPad looks/feels more like paper - instead of popping a laptop and having a screen between you. Hand annotating PDFs works quite well on the iPad.

Anything needing encoding, heavy photo manipulation, Heavy Office type work - here I mean stuff like really graphical presentations, really graphical/math heavy docs, or really complex spreadsheets then a laptop may be required.

You could also remote in (ssh, teamviewer, logmein, vnc, vpn) into your desktop and take control of it if you need to do something somewhat heavy. Not as comfortable as working directly on a computer but I find myself sitting on my couch, starting up teamviewer, checking in on my big laptop on my desk, then logging out. Don't really have to go back to my desk unless I know I am going to be spending hours creating content.

@airwalk331 - You can email - pretty much any file from the iPad - as long as the program supports it. Most programs support emailing their files, or making jpgs of their files then sending it. I also use Dropbox to edit/share files across multiple devices. Dropbox seems to be the best way to move files around right now - as multiple iOS programs support Dropbox integration - and Dropbox provides a program for desktop OSes for syncing.

Reaction score
@chscag - I'd like to start a discussion here.

If you are replacing a Macbook Pro - a compelling replacement could be an iPad/iMac - for similar money. It is totally usage dependent - but I could see for some people where a desktop and iPad could be a decent replacement for just a Laptop.

the lowest end new iPad plus the lowest end iMac would be ~$1700 USD. The lowest end 13" is ~$1200 usd and the lowest end 15" is ~$1800 USD. Lowest end rMBP ~$2200 USD.

So if you have light mobile usage (email, web browsing, light photo/video editing) you could probably just use an iPad. Also handwriting and note applications - I personally like the iPad for these. Some people like typing and recording - but since a lot of my interactions are 1 on 1 with customers - the iPad looks/feels more like paper - instead of popping a laptop and having a screen between you. Hand annotating PDFs works quite well on the iPad.

This is an option I've considered- getting an iMac and an iPad.

HOWEVER, to introduce a new idea to this thread- what about getting an Mac Mini and an iPad and using the iPad as the primary display for the Mac Mini? There's a thread about it here- iPad + Mac Mini + Air Display = full computer? - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums

What do you guys think?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 3rd generation iPad has a fantastic retina display, but it's still only 9". I'm not sure with my older eyes I would want to use it as a primary display for a Mac Mini. But I guess if your eyes can stand it, why not? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
iPad newbie here, "4G" model, 32GB.

A great but mixed bag. It was NOT a smooth startup experience. A lot of issues getting the accounts working-had to call Verizon a couple of times, something not set up correctly on their end.

Then iPad demanded I answer security questions for my first purchase "from this device." Fine-except it said my answers were wrong, and they weren't.*

And NO you cannot really download stuff while driving down the freeway from LA to Vegas to Utah. Not enough speed I guess. (My friend who works at the Apple store wonders if it's just my device; think I'll post another thread about that).

Once we got by Zion National Park, there was no 3G coverage. The RV parks WiFi was weak and fluctuating. So again, couldn't really download stuff. Maybe web surf a bit.

Anyway, some of this may be Apple store and Verizon issues, but my point is don't expect to necessarily jump in and have everything beautiful instantly.

*I had to email the store to reset. Then it happened AGAIN when we got an iPhone. Then a coworker said it happened to them. I set up my answers so they cannot be mistaken. After the first occurrence I even wrote them down so I could check. So maybe the store has a problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Has anyone tried this? Is there any lag?

I have been using air display - but it isn't good for a primary display. It runs over wifi. In theory there is a way to use it over USB but you'll have to jailbreak the iPad to make it work.

As chscag mentioned - it is only 9". I would say the iPad is a decent second display but currently I couldn't find a way to - nor do I recommend using it as a primary display.

Note you could still remote in and that seems responsive - but movies and games wouldn't be good there either.

Reaction score
I have been using air display - but it isn't good for a primary display. It runs over wifi. In theory there is a way to use it over USB but you'll have to jailbreak the iPad to make it work.

As chscag mentioned - it is only 9". I would say the iPad is a decent second display but currently I couldn't find a way to - nor do I recommend using it as a primary display.

Note you could still remote in and that seems responsive - but movies and games wouldn't be good there either.

Thanks for your response! I'm leaning toward a a beefier macbook air or a macbook pro :/

Reaction score
Using an iPad instead of a laptop or desktop was Steve Jobs dream. In my opinion, if you're an average computer user, then you should use an iPad instead of a laptop/desktop. If you're an advanced user who codes a lot, then stick with the laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Using an iPad instead of a laptop or desktop was Steve Jobs dream. In my opinion, if you're an average computer user, then you should use an iPad instead of a laptop/desktop. If you're an advanced user who codes a lot, then stick with the laptop.
Or a professional photographer who needs a computer on the road.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Can you view your raw files?
Regards.
Gary
I was responding to the last part, Gary. If you're an advanced user who codes a lot, then stick with the laptop.

The iPad is useless for my photography. Even the 64GB model will not hold a weekend's photos, the screen is not color accurate, and I would not have the patience to wait for a 1GHz computer with only 512MB RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.