iPad Purchase in Canada

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have a rather ‘different’ request to make regarding the purchase of an iPad - in Canada. Unfortunately there is no brief way to outline this [Mods please delete if not permitted].

I live in New Zealand, and my profile can expand on that.

I am trying to assist a tertiary student at Vancouver University. She needs an iPad for her studies, but neither she nor her family can afford one. I have offered to fund the purchase in Canada - from NZ.

I thought I could simply order an iPad, and pay for it using my credit card. Not so - apparently - I’m told the only way I can make a purchase using offshore funds, in this case NZ$, is via an app named Wish.

In turn my bank in NZ insists on something called EFT Router, and an address-physical of the recipient of the $$. Neither is forthcoming.

There are what seem to me to be obscure and secretive ‘consultants’, who send me links to use without identifying themselves as a ‘real’ person, or which store-physical they work at or from. Communication suffers obscurity and delay.

Will any Canadians who use any of the Apple stores in Vancouver please enlighten me. Thank you.

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Can you transfer the funds through something like PayPal, or even Apple Pay? Or maybe you can go to an Apple store in NZ and talk to them about purchasing it there for pickup in Vancouver? Or maybe even contact Apple through Apple.com to see what they can offer by opening an online chat session with them. I looked at the Wish site, and I would not use that myself. Who sent you to them?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It's a very kind gesture on your part Hugh, I'd hate to see you scammed for your generosity. I agree with Jake, try all the official sites, Apple themselves if possible. Apple Pay or PayPal are good if suitable. Booking a session with Apple sounds good, I'd try that first. Living overseas as I do I use Wise (formerly TransferWise) for cash transfers in different currencies, no account required, min fees, good exchange rates, just a subscription in NZ is all you need if you want to transfer NZ dollars into this student's bank account in Canadian dollars.
Personally I wouldn't do that but that's just me.

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Thank you gentlemen, you have pretty much confirmed what the inner self is telling me ... don't!

Officers of the bank I use have warned me not to proceed using Wish (legit) because the recipient of the funding is not clearly identified. The word being used is 'physical' (= real).

They have also warned strongly against using methods suggested by Jake, ie. transfer to a personal account (I don't use PayPal incidentally). Use of personal accounts is too open to abuse because there is no control over the end-recipient's use of the funds.

I shall investigate ApplePay further.

Communication from shadowy Apple 'consultants' is almost non-existent, and on the basis of that alone I am wary. Tho I have no evidence as such, it smacks of s-c-a-m. Proceedings are suspended meantime.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
An iPad is not an inexpensive purchase. If this student is well known to you, you should be able to determine a 'safe' way to get them the money so that they can go to the local Apple store to make the purchase. A lot of banks, in the US at least, are offering Zelle as a service.

So definitely go the route that has you interacting with the receiving individual directly with no "middle men".

Depending on fees, you can also get their bank account info and do a wire transfer and have them account for conversion rate and all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I am trying to assist a tertiary student at Vancouver University. She needs an iPad for her studies, but neither she nor her family can afford one. I have offered to fund the purchase in Canada - from NZ.

I would try contacting the particular "Vancouver University" and their bookstore or computer outlet store, they may be separate, and I'm sure they will accommodate you using either your credit card or a bank transfer and with the students credentials there could possibly also be a discount available from Apple Canada if they still have such a discount for students available.

Certainly a generous offer of you and I hope everything works out for you and the student.

I'm sure the particular Institution would have contact information available to you that's available on the web.

- Patrick
=======

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update - the deal is OFF!

I took advice from my bank, two senior officers of which cautioned me firmly against involvement. Further, there were details given that didn't make sense, so I suspect I was being lured into a scam.

I shan't go into detail here, but if someone finds themselves in a similar position I invite them to make contact with me via the Conversation system.

Since I cancelled, I've had no further contact from the (three) participants of the 'other side'. Funny, that.

Thanks again for the advice provided here, it's been much appreciated.

Hugh

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The number of line scams now is just ridiculous. So even if you know a person, unless you can do a face to face transaction, be weary and vigilant!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
So even if you know a person, unless you can do a face to face transaction, be weary and vigilant!

So very true as I discovered a week or two ago that we had to use our local bank to get sorted out and get the visa withdrawal I had been charged reversed with a credit on our VISA account.

I wish there was some way to just wipe out such firms from doing any business anywhere.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.