iPad pictures out of order???

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're talking about the Picture Frame icon on the first screen before you unlock - head for Settings - Picture Frame - turn off Shuffle.

You'll also be able to set only specific albums to be used for the slideshow or all photos.

Reaction score
ipad slideshow

Tried that, every time I sync whether from iphoto or just the images as re-assigned names and dates, they work fine if just scrolling through, but in 'slideshow', they still revert to some weird sequence I can't decipher.. Only way I've come up with is to in iphoto, click on the image, then click on 'info' button below, change the date/time to place in sequence, then sync to ipad, then sequence works in slideshow.. Surely the techheads can get this sorted much easier.!

C

chas_m

For those following this thread, there is another option. It's not a "solution," since the problem appears to be a genuine -- and rare -- Apple bug, but rather a workaround.

Keynote for the iPad.

Take the photos, put them into slides. Voila. Problem solved for $10.

Not only that, but you get nicer transitions and absolute control (even on-the-fly) plus lots of other fringe benefits.

I'm not trying to minimize the f-up bug that is affecting PC users, but at least here is a solution that will work right now, immediately, and might actually end up being as good or better an option (for presenters) than an actual bug fix. HTH.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For Mac users, I don't know. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I have been unsuccesful at duplicating this issue on my iPad as long as I'm doing slideshows of an album or albums vs all pictures.

Granted all of my photos are in either iPhoto or Aperture. I create an album in either one of them, arrange the pictures in whatever order I want without the modification of any data, time stamps, etc.; sync those albums to the iPad, choose anything except the Origami feature and open the Photos app, select an Album, start a slideshow and have yet to have a single one not play in the order I have arranged them.

Likewise, if I use the Picture Frame after having gone into Settings and turned off Shuffle and selecting Albums rather than All Pictures, it will play a single album or multiple albums as they have been arranged. With 'All Pictures' selected in the Picture Frame settings, it does not play "all" pictures of album a, then album b, etc. It has some formula it uses to display x # of pics from a, then b, c, etc...

For the Win users, I can see how this would be frustrating. Not sure how a fix would be implemented for those just syncing photos from a standard file folder.

Reaction score
For the Win users, I can see how this would be frustrating. Not sure how a fix would be implemented for those just syncing photos from a standard file folder.
It could be an option that can be turned on or off. It shouldn't be that difficult to make it turn off or on (once you've actually worked out how to sort it by filename instead of date created).

At the very least a Windows app that could be used to create an album would be an acceptable solution.

Reaction score
Ipad photos not synched

Had the same issues as everybody here...(i am using a PC.)

So far i have been able to fix this by changing the time stamp on all my photos (comic Jpg) (meaning putting the same time for all the files (last accessed, last modified and created))
Only problem is that it still loads the images in reverse. Meaning that the first image showing is usually the last of the book.
Also, uploading more than a few folders at the same time seems to void this "solution"

very annoying. I was thinking of converting all my comics into pdf and using good reader app. It works great. (just have too many comics books)

In term of software used for changing all the time stamps (and names), i recommend Flash renamer (excellent and fast)

hope it helps

California

Reaction score
I wonder if using the camera connection kit wouldn t help transfer all my jpg (in folders and in the right order) correctly?
any thoughts anybody?

thx

Reaction score
I have same problem here. Using Windows Vista. I will try some of the solutions suggested here.

Reaction score
I used california2004 method. Didn't solve the problem but I can live with it. I use Ipad mainly to read manga scans which reads from right to left. I start from the bottom up. Ipad basically orders via latest time stamp and descending file number.

Reaction score
Lightroom for the iPad

When Adobe releases their app. for the iPad the slide show problem will history. Not only ordering slide shows, but adding titles, dates and comments will be great features, hopefully from Adobe. A Lightroom type of app, would be great for the iPad!

Reaction score
Getting the iPad to show your photos in your chosen order

One of the primary reasons that I got an iPad was to display my photographs. On the other hand, i didn't have all that many projects that required the photos to be in a certain order.

But I did have one.

For my son's wedding, I had about 300 photos, perhaps 150 from the professional, 100 from me, and 50 from 7 or 8 friends (i.e., about 6 apiece). This was a big integration project, since my and my friends' photos had to be intersperced with the professional's photos.

And the iPad was not cooperating!

Here's what I finally did --

(1) I use something called "ThumbsPlus", but you could use anything that enables you to see thumbnails of the photos.

(2) I also used a freeware program called "Renamer", which I really like, because it gives you a lot of control of how files are renamed.

(3) I renamed all my files by putting a 5-digit number at the beginning of the file name. I wanted the numbers to be 00100, 00200, etc., while not losing the "real" name of the file, since I wanted to be able to track down the "original" TIFF files, even if I was organizing smaller jpg files for the iPad.

(4) Next, I went to my thumbnail program, and I identified groups of photos that could be "plugged in" to the professional's set. So, I might determine that my files numbered 02100 through 03100, which were taken by a friend, should fit between the professional's photos that I had numbered 08000 and 08100. I went back to renamer, and I had it rename those files as 08001, 08002, etc., so that when I sorted the files by name, now those files appeared where I wanted them to be.

(5) Next, I got AttributeMagicPro. Alas, this is NOT freeware; it cost about $30. If you go this route, make sure that you download the "free" version, and then order the "real" version through it. You'll save $5.

(6) Load the entire directory of photos to AMP. They will be sorted by name, which is the way that I want them. Go to "Property to Modify" and change ALL the date attributes -- there are four of them -- i.e., CREATED, MODIFIED, ACCESSED, and (probably most important) something called ORIGINAL (picture taken). You'll have to scroll down for this last one. It's much farther down in the stack. For the "Action" choose "Sequential Modification" Set a date and time that is appropriate for the photos. (I used the day of the wedding, and 1 PM as the time). You have to do this 4 times, since AMP changes ONE attribute with each pass.

(7) Go back to the directory where the photos are, and remove all of the "backup" files. I suppose that AMP was trying to protect me, by making a copy of every file. There's probably a way to turn this off, but I didn't look for it.

(8) Next, I changed the name of the directory where the photos are located. I made the change really minor, like "The Wedding", instead of "Wedding". My purpose was to make sure that iTunes would set up a new directory and not simply copy the old order.

(9) Finally, I used iTunes to load the directory onto my iPad. Make sure that the directory is in the right place so that iTunes can find it.

This worked on all fronts; the photos were in the right order, and the slideshow feature worked too.

I hope this helps!

-- Forrest Milder

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I call that seeing a problem and finding a solution...

Thanks for sharing.

But, it really shouldn't be so hard for any of our non-iPhoto and non-Aperture using friends to do this.

Reaction score
perl script to automate this solution

Here's what I finally did --...

Great thanks for this idea! It works. I've also created small script to automate this. I've put it in mass-image-property-changer - Project Hosting on Google Code

You can download executable if you don't want to install perl and staff.

Here is how it works:
  1. Copy images to specific folder
  2. Run image_change_original_dt.exe you_folder_name
  3. Syncronize the folder with iPad

As result you'll see all images in iPad as they are sorted by name.

C

chas_m

I have to tell you that the ACDSee Pro for Mac beta could have helped you with all that renaming/batch processing in one tool (which is currently free while in beta), but I'm glad you got it to work, and that's the important thing.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll note, his download script is a .exe and is for helping our Windows using friends syncing to their iPads.

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Not sure if you have this info already but I have been trying to get my photos in order on my PC!

All I did was right click on the image and select properties, and then click the details tab at the top on the new window. About half way down there is the date of the photo or image, you can manually change the date to the 1st then click apply. Do the same again to each photo in the order you need them but change the date by a day e.g. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th on so on. Then sync the folder to the iPad and they go on in the order you wish them!

Hope this helps people!

Reaction score
Here's something I saw posted in an Iphone forum. Tried it with the Ipad and didn't work. However, maybe it might work if instead of synching with a folder you synced with a photo album in Picassa or Photoshop Elements. I currently don't have access to either but maybe someone can try it out.

----------------------------------
(from another forum)

FINALLY!
I have solved the sorting problem and my photos are now all sorted exactly like I want them. I realized that the iPhone sorts photos chronologically based on the optimized version it creates. What you have to do to get your photos sorted the way you want them is the following:

1) Uncheck the "Sync Photos" box in iTunes and choose to delete all pictures from your device
2) Go to the folder that your pictures are in
2) Find the folder called "iPod Photo Cache"
3) Delete that folder
4) Go back to iTunes and recheck the box to sync photos
5) iTunes will optimize your photos again and they will be sorted the way you have them in the folder

It is not the cleanest way to get your photos in the order you want (especially if you have like 1,200 photos), but it gets the job done. You will have to do this every time you add new photos, but I would rather take a few minutes every time I sync my iPhone and have my pictures sorted correctly rather than look at my pictures out of order.

I'm a Windows and Photoshop Elements user. I was very frustrated that my iPad photos were sorely out of order despite careful chronological ordering in PSE.

I was additionally frustrated by the fact that once upon a time, photos on my iPod was correctly ordered.

This fix lessened the problem. They're not completely in order, but are significantly less out of order than what I started with. I'll play around some to see if I can make additional improvements, but this makes things more livable.

Thanks for the tip.

Reaction score
Sorting photos on iPad

If this hasn't already been suggested, I use "Photo-Sort (HD) for iPad" app (and iPad Saved Photos) to change the order of photos and to rename any photo. Photo-Sort orders photos by file name.

The sequence in which you select and copy photos in Photo-Sort is maintained as you "Upload to iPad Saved Photos." Photos are downloaded to Photo-Sort from iPad Saved Photos.

Empty folders are easy to create and name (and nest) in Photo-Sort; photos can be quickly copied (or cut) and pasted to other Photo-Sort folders. Instructions cover wi-fi network photo or folder transfers to/from PC and Mac computers. App includes slide show.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.