iPad as a SOLE device for students?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Van , you make a very fine point ( as always ) . Apple could very well have implemented several things that would have made this device a much stronger contender for the all in one product and still kept it in its own class. I dont mean OS X ( would have been a mess ) the SD card would have been great , as well as the ability to print from the device natively and not from some 3rd party app . If the great one wants to see this product change everything he will have to adopt a different approach to keeping the faithful happy before going after the unenlightened.

Clay

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've noted on many occasions that I don't like the iPad but I also came to the conclusion, as noted on IRC, that I should wait to try it. My frustrations though as they are now stem from what appears to be a lack of inclusion of things that could have easily been included (this won't change). A prime example of this is a camera. I think the largest concern raised after the announcement, aside from a lack of Flash support (which shouldn't have been a surprise), was the lack of a camera - something so simple but (for some at least) very useful. I know this was supposed to be an "in-between" device but it would have been so easy to include a few more things that wouldn't have threatened this "in-between" status.

Reaction score
As a current student studying Graphic Design I am definately aware that this is not the sort of thing that I can have as a stand alone unit. However I could definately add it to my workflow. A copy of brushes/layers and I could stop carrying a sketchbook around.

Flash really isn't an issue for me because I can watch youtube and vimeo through HTML5 and I don't really view anyone else's video

As for not having a camera, I can deal with that, I'm dealing with a substandard camera on my iphone and macbook. I'd like to see some sort of iPhoto application though. Buy an 8bit- mini usb cable of some sort to plug my camera directly into the iPad.

Typing up notes on the go with iWork is definately a killer feature. I know there isn't multi-tasking but a piece of paper can't show you the internet as well and that product is still going pretty strong.

Don't get me wrong, the iPad has a lot of shortcomings. Front facing camera for skype. Multi-tasking etc etc. Yet it has got an appeal. For me personally I have no need, I have a macbook and an iphone so apart from the sketchbook use no good.

Just so I "stay on topic" Billy would be fine with it. His college/ university will have computers and printers. Nothing is stopping him from printing a webpage out and then typing his notes up from there. Yeah thats how multi-tasking was done before the computer was invented, but its a solution.
I actually think the keypad will be fine to type with if my experiences with the iphone are anything to go by (to this date I am still surprised when out completely off my face and type something that is so far from the word I want and the spell checker gets it right that I have to show everyone with in a 2 step radius in the club how clever it is) and I can type at lightning speed with just my thumbs on that bad boy.

Over all billy doesn't have a problem
and neither does average joe either

Reaction score
Before you respond with "OMG! FAIL! I NEED MORE!" please hear me out.

There's a student, let's call him Billy. Billy doesn't have a computer at all, his family couldn't afford to buy him one, but he's a good student and got a scholarship to cover his tuition and housing. Good job Billy!

Billy got some money for graduation gifts from his family and friends, he's got a little bit of money to spend, so he buys a bicycle, and needs a computer, but on impulse decides to buy an iPad. "UH OH!" you say, "Billy can't only have an iPad! He needs more functionality for school!" Billy also buys a network capable printer, an iPad dock, iPad case and a bluetooth keyboard and headset. Now billy can print what he needs for his research, buy e-books for school, type his term papers, and listen to music, movies, and games all without disturbing his roommate.

Billy starts school and is doing very well, he's a Biology major with hopes of going to Dental School.......

I'm sure that this point has been made, however- You need a computer to use iPad!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I don't see why it couldn't be use for school. Numerous "to-do" apps to keep track of assignments, "notes" apps, Safari for researching (as I have mentioned a while ago, take snapshots of sections of articles to use for reference), email, calendar, calculator, and if you need to find your way around campus you have Google Maps ;D

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Future iPad owner
I'm sure that this point has been made, however- You need a computer to use iPad!!

Well, I dunno, maybe Billy could hook it up to his roommates PC or something. You don't need a computer to use it though, you just need a computer to update and sync with iTunes, neither of which is completely needed. I agree with what you are saying, and my situation is completely hypothetical like I said, because most people will have a PC already, but I figured in the near future, we might just see this situation arising more and more.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Future iPad owner
You know what, Superbike? Your tone in this thread is ridiculous and doesn't warrant help from anyone really.

I answered your ostentatious "hypothetical billybob" question as per my opinion and thought based on what you laid out and you tell me I'm off topic? LMAO!!!

For someone with a psychology degree, you don't really have the "interacting with strangers via social nettiquette" thing down pat, do you?

BEST of luck.

No, you went off topic.

I asked what kind of problems he would have, you said he wouldn't be able to type papers on it. Why? I said he already got a wireless keyboard for it, so typing would be exactly the same as on a laptop. Then you also say it can't do file storage. Who says? So you are telling me we'll be able to type up something but not save it and open it later? Then you go COMPLETELY off topic and say "buy a Macbook." I didn't ask what else he should buy, I asked what problems he will run into.

C

chas_m

Perhaps but many many people don't want backup or storage to reside online.

Hmm. Strange thing to say. Pretty much everyone who uses the net for anything more than reading has some "storage" or "backup" in the cloud right now. Facebook? Flickr? Your blog? Everything you've written on this forum? I could go on ...

The fact of having all of my data controlled by someone else, frankly, terrifies me.

"Terrifies"? Really? Again, that seems like a really strange thing for an obviously mac-savvy, web-savvy person to say. In the year 2010, it's a bit like saying "I don't trust electricity."

There is no reason to have a fully cloud based machine regardless of how easy it is.

Ah, okay, I think I'm seeing where you're coming from there. This would be a misunderstanding of what type of data we're talking about here.

There is no reason Apple couldn't have given the iPad an SD slot and some other basic ports.

1. Well, yes there is actually.
2. $29 buys you a USB port *and* an SD port.

Sure, it may not come with some things now that could be implemented in the future but that's the problem - why not now?

I'll answer that as soon as you tell me where my personal jetpack, flying rocketcar and home teleportation unit are. :)

People were complaining about copy and paste, something available to most smartphones, when the iPhone came out.

EXCELLENT point! Just what I was talking about! The lack of copy and paste on the iPhone for almost TWO YEARS did *nothing* to stop it being the most popular smartphone on earth starting on Day One.

Apple will implement (feature x) when they figure out a way to make (feature x) AWESOME and not before. You want mediocre solutions now with a vague promise to fix it later that never comes true, you want a Windows pad.

You are premising your argument on cloud storage and a hope for future innovation.

Not at all ... the technology exists right now. Indeed, millions of people are using it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
IMy frustrations though as they are now stem from what appears to be a lack of inclusion of things that could have easily been included (this won't change). A prime example of this is a camera. I think the largest concern raised after the announcement, aside from a lack of Flash support (which shouldn't have been a surprise), was the lack of a camera - something so simple but (for some at least) very useful.

I must say what you said I agree with most of it. You said most of what I weas feeling. Apart from the camera bit. i know I'm in the minority. But I am one of those people who think version 1 of the ipad is better without a camera.

Everyone says the ipad as it currently stands can not be a stand alone computer. You need a computer at home to make best use of it. And I agree and that's the inbetween niché thing Apple was talking about. But I think most of the people who will buy an ipad already have a good camera. And would not be willing to take serious photos on anything less mega pixels then the good camera they have. Sure thingas like ipod nano/phone camera are fun to have and play around with. But that's all they are a fun toy. Not like a real camera that can get some serious work done.

And I think that's why they left off the camera. They want the ipad to be a thing that helps to get work done and not a gimmicky thing people play with. Sure ipad games contradict this statement. But I think they are an after thought. Like a bonus. "My ipad can get my work done and that's why I bought it, but it can also play games". Just a little more incentive for people to go out an buy one.

Even games on there have a purpose. "All work and no play" as you all know. Plus for people who are childrten or disabled or post surgery. They can use games to learn things. Heck even students can learn from certain educational games.

But back to my original point. I'm glad the ipad so far has no camera. Way to gimmicky for my liking with no real benifit in it being there. I know I'm in the minority here. But that's how I feel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Ark, I'm going to pick up on your post.

Most people nowadays have phones with cameras on them, so I don't see the problem. Plus, the only thing the camera could be used for would be for like chat, I mean how awkward is going to be holding an iPad backwards to take a picture of something? And even then, that functionality would almost be the opposite of the purpose of the iPad. Using live chat without it being connected to it's dock I would assume eat battery like it was cake, decreasing usage time (and honestly, it is a pretty big inconvienence when your primary device is about to die). Having a camera alone just doesn't seem practical. Yes, you can say you would use it when connected to the dock, but then how about when you're out? Or sitting on the couch just relaxing? You would have to hold it steady for however long the chat was. That, in my opinion, would be tiring and annoyng. I do not agree as well that the iPad should have a camera.

Just my two cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
No, you went off topic.

I asked what kind of problems he would have, you said he wouldn't be able to type papers on it. Why? I said he already got a wireless keyboard for it, so typing would be exactly the same as on a laptop. Then you also say it can't do file storage. Who says? So you are telling me we'll be able to type up something but not save it and open it later? Then you go COMPLETELY off topic and say "buy a Macbook." I didn't ask what else he should buy, I asked what problems he will run into.

Did you even READ my post? I said I wasn't sure HOW file storage would work, for one and for two you ASKED IF ONE COULD GET BY WITH JUST THE iPAD. I stated why I thought you couldn't.

You aren't tying to get the answers you need, just the answer you want...

Well, here it is:

Get the iPad as your only device, type your little papers on it, store them everywhere you want, and forget the fact that the iPad needs to sync to a computer to take advantage of many features. It'll work fine and you'll be alright.

lol...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Now now this is a friendly forum and not a pissing contest. Lets try to keep things civil here please.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No more insults or this thread will be closed. Keep it nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
You're right, my bad...edited.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hmm. Strange thing to say. Pretty much everyone who uses the net for anything more than reading has some "storage" or "backup" in the cloud right now. Facebook? Flickr? Your blog? Everything you've written on this forum? I could go on ...
That's not storage or backup, that's user created content uploaded for the purpose of sharing. Facebook, Flickr and blogs are meant to be public, storage and backup are not.

"Terrifies"? Really? Again, that seems like a really strange thing for an obviously mac-savvy, web-savvy person to say. In the year 2010, it's a bit like saying "I don't trust electricity."
Yes, it does terrify me. Just because technology exists doesn't mean it's perfect and secure. Just look at the recent Google/China incident - personal email accounts hacked. Sure, I feel confident with the technology but I don't want my data on a set of servers (with many others) that, if hacked, would reveal much more info about me than I care the world to know about. I want to be selective about what I put online as opposed to having a backup of my system online. So, yes, the thought of having all my data stored remotely and quite possibly in another country doesn't make me feel confident about the security of my information. For instance as an example, if I had all my content stored online using Google's infrastructure, there could very well be something I possess that is illegal in the US but not here. What happens then to my data? I don't want my data to be subject to the rules and regulations of other nations, corporations or individuals. It's my data and I want to control it the way I want.

1. Well, yes there is actually.
2. $29 buys you a USB port *and* an SD port.
No, they didn't give the iPad those things - you have to add that functionality yourself. That's like saying your Mac comes with Office but to install it, you have to go buy it.

I'll answer that as soon as you tell me where my personal jetpack, flying rocketcar and home teleportation unit are. :)
Those don't exist, SD card slots and cameras do exist. It's not as if I am complaining because Apple didn't include something that doesn't exist.

EXCELLENT point! Just what I was talking about! The lack of copy and paste on the iPhone for almost TWO YEARS did *nothing* to stop it being the most popular smartphone on earth starting on Day One.
That is in no way an excuse for not including basic functionality from the get go. Would it suit you if Apple disabled WiFi, 3G and access to the internal storage if it was said that support for those were coming in an update?

Apple will implement (feature x) when they figure out a way to make (feature x) AWESOME and not before. You want mediocre solutions now with a vague promise to fix it later that never comes true, you want a Windows pad.
I'm no engineer but I think SD card slots have been just about perfected. Apple has also be including cameras in its notebooks for a while so I think they're confident enough with building those. And how awesome can an SD slot really be? Also, mediocre solutions are building devices missing basic functionality. That's mediocrity at it's finest.

Not at all ... the technology exists right now. Indeed, millions of people are using it.
So, the technology exists but it's apparently no good enough for inclusion in the iPad yet it's good enough for a $29 peripheral and their notebooks?

I must say what you said I agree with most of it. You said most of what I weas feeling. Apart from the camera bit. i know I'm in the minority. But I am one of those people who think version 1 of the ipad is better without a camera.
I'm with you on that. I don't think it needs a camera and I am in the minority with you. :) My point though was that since many people seem to want it and the technology is there, I'm left wondering why it wasn't included. It wasn't meant to be specific to the camera - it was just a commentary on easily included technology that wasn't.

C

chas_m

My point though was that since many people seem to want [feature x] and the technology is there, I'm left wondering why it wasn't included.

Because when you add in everything people want -- a camera, an SD slot, higher resolution, more processing power, an optical drive, Flash, multiple programs all running at the same time, a command line, full Mac OS X, a physical keyboard, multiple USB ports, etc etc etc ... you get this:

(outdated link removed)

Or, at best, this:

(outdated link removed)

Which has been out for months and has not sold well. We have 95,000 members here and I've yet to hear from a single one of us that they have one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's because a lot of people:
1. Do not know it exists.
2. Are not willing to by non Apple hardware to run OS X.
3. Are not willing or able to pay $3049 or $4698.
4. Are in the train of thought that for a lot less money you can get a Macbook Pro. Which is true.

So I think those 4 reasons is why we never hear of any M-F users actually owning a Modbook Pro.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That's because a lot of people:
1. Do not know it exists.
2. Are not willing to by non Apple hardware to run OS X.
3. Are not willing or able to pay $3049 or $4698.
4. Are in the train of thought that for a lot less money you can get a Macbook Pro. Which is true.

So I think those 4 reasons is why we never hear of any M-F users actually owning a Modbook Pro.

Agreed completely.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because when you add in everything people want -- a camera, an SD slot, higher resolution, more processing power, an optical drive, Flash, multiple programs all running at the same time, a command line, full Mac OS X, a physical keyboard, multiple USB ports, etc etc etc ... you get this:
I hardly think adding an SD slot qualifies for a comparison to an MBP.

At no point did I say that we should have an optical drive, multitasking (although that would be nice), a command line, physical keyboard, multiple USB ports, etc. On top of this, I don't want there to be Flash or a camera. I didn't ask for the world - I suggested that a few simple additions would make this a better "middle" machine (or however Jobs referred to it).

As for your edit comment, there is no reason to approach this discussion in such an inconsiderate way. I am by no means paranoid and saying so shows me that you can not approach this discussion without resorting to typecasting me into a role that I don't fit (nor deserve to). I am not paranoid and having an opinion against sharing my data with others is not paranoia but a consideration for the privacy of my own data. If you have a problem with that, address it here in a civil and polite manner as opposed to leaving it as a comment for why you edited your post.

Reaction score
Maybe, but I would rather carry a laptop at this point.

For certain people I think it would work, depends on your specific uses/criteria.

I don't even know if it has a good document platform , is text editor on there or is it something they developed new for it?

That would be a must for a student, and web browsing on it would probably fine for homework and reading online material.

Give it a shot and tell us whether it was a good idea

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.