iPad 3rd Generation Battery behavior

Reaction score
I have a wifi-only white 16GB iPad 3, and I use a smart cover, and I don't notice any major battery loss in sleep mode... I think it is the 4G.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Charlie, try it with just location services enabled first and see how it fares. Talked to my friend today with iPad 3. He has Location on but no cellular and gets days before it goes down below 90% unless he really uses it a lot.

I'll do that Dennis. I'm going to be in and out and about this weekend and will give the location services a test to see what happens. I really want to keep that on anyway because I intend to buy a GPS app for the iPad in the near future.

C

chas_m

The Apple tech you talked to was both right and wrong. I'll explain. :)

With the LTE radio on all the time, the drain you're talking about is roughly normal. This was EXACTLY the reason why the last iPhone didn't have LTE included -- the radios for them are terrible battery hogs (ask ANY "4G" Android owner!), even if the machine is sleeping (since they need to constantly check for LTE signal

Turning off the 4G when it's not needed will save a lot of battery. I agree its a pita to do this, and thus most people don't, which is why Apple says the battery is functioning normally. It is (with the assumption that you're not going to switch off cellular when you don't need it).

I don't normally turn off 3G or Wi-Fi on my iPhone unless I'm obviously going to be in an area of no service (yes, city dwellers, it is still possible to occasionally be completely out of the reach of wireless data :) ), but those radios don't use nearly the power of an LTE radio. I do turn off BT unless I'm actually using it (since I only use BT on my iPhone for my headphones, so basically for exercise).

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the input chas. Looks like that's correct; with the cellular receiver turned off the battery still maintains its charge. I was concerned more about location services but as Dennis pointed out, that doesn't impact the battery usage.

We would rarely use the cellular ability but since we do travel about in Texas to places where there is no Wifi, we wanted to have it "just in case". By the way, this new iPad is a fantastic device. It never ceases to amaze of the innovation of the Apple engineers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.