iOS4 thoughts and opinions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" upgraded to 1GB RAM and iPhone 3GS 16gb on O2 and a couple of iPods
iOS4 on a UK 3GS 16gb iPhone

Upgrade was fairly quick and didn't drag; took about 30 minutes but progressed the whole time - didn't seem to stall.

The phone is noticeably slower and scrolling in some apps is jumpy / seems to stick or stutter.

Scrolling in Apple apps e.g. Safari is slower but still smooth. The NYTimes app, as an example is jerky when scrolling. Within an article it is smooth but definitely slower.

Apps seem to open more slowly and frustrated that you can't close an app completely within the app and have to go to the new multi-task bar.

Does anyone know if having a lot of apps open in the background will slow things down and/or drain the battery? Logic says it will....

Wallpapers a nice touch but wish there was a "no home wallpaper" option; plain black was fine with me.

The animation on the home screen is a lot slower. In 3.1.3 you could barely tell there was any animation. With iOS4 you are able to watch it and, whilst it's a split second, it's noticeable that you need to pause for a split second

The phone is not slow; everything is quick and slick but it's noticeably a lot slower than before iOS4.

Reaction score
Speaking from the point of view from someone that is not as smart as you guys with these brilliant Apple products, here’s a dummies review.

1. It’s quicker
2. I love the folders, i now have all my apps on the one page.
3. The end

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
i think it's hella dope, but they shoulda left game center -.-

why ? it didn't work, Apple hasn't mentioned it during WWDC.. "rumor" has it it will be re-announced and going live in the fall with the release of the new iPods..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
*SNIP*
Does anyone know if having a lot of apps open in the background will slow things down and/or drain the battery? Logic says it will....

Wallpapers a nice touch but wish there was a "no home wallpaper" option; plain black was fine with me.
*SNIP*

i think i read once it would start slowing, the OS closes apps... Apple claims it's not effecting battery life.

wallpapers, agreed... there for i just put a plain jane dark :) black wallpaper on the phone, which i use for the Springboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
I see, thanks. One thing I have noticed that I don't like is the fact that every app you open stays open in the multitasking bar. Unless there is a setting to change that that I have not found yet. Some apps I just have no need to keep open and multitask all the time.

i agree and would also be in favor of like a blacklist or whitelist of apps that can not or can remain open, kinda like what Backgrounder did (JB app) although i noticed on the 3G it significantly slowed down the OS with many apps open (when i had the JB) last night there were 9 apps open on my new 3GS and no slowdown noticeable..

aan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early-08 15" MBP 2.4Ghz, 6GB RAM, 240GB SSD, OS X 10.6.8
I've noticed that all my pictures from iPhoto in Photos look really bad. The photos in Camera Roll are Ok. I had to delete all iPhoto pictures and load them again. Now they look as clear as before upgrade and looks like they also take less space.

Reaction score
I've noticed that all my pictures from iPhoto in Photos look really bad. The photos in Camera Roll are Ok. I had to delete all iPhoto pictures and load them again. Now they look as clear as before upgrade and looks like they also take less space.

I noticed that too mate..............here comes a stupid question............ermmmmmmmm.

How do i take all my photos and movies completely off my Iphone and choose the ones i want back on in my own folders?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Overall, I love iOS 4 and it runs great on my iPhone 3G. I have to admit, the first 20 minutes or so after having iOS 4 on my 3G, the phone was extremely slow & at one point froze and restarted itself. Well, after that, I saw a complete turnaround! The phone has since improved dramatically & actually seems faster than before installing iOS 4! I love Folders, the new spell checker, iBooks and everything else. Great update, Apple!!!

It is still hard to be sure, but this does seem to be happening to some extent on my 3G. Last night, it took over 2 hours to install and the result was so slow and bug and crash ridden I was seriously wondering how I could revert back to OS3. However, today it does seem a little more smooth, even if it does take much longer for every app to load.

The combined email is good and the folders will eventually tidy things up once I get around to moving other apps to take up the extra space and so end up with less screens.

Wish they still offered a 16GB 3GS instead of just the 8GB. At a fair price (i.e. US prices rather than UK), that would still be a good phone option.

On the other hand, if you take the price of a new iPhone4 in the UK on a contract, plus the monthly charge for the duration of the contract, then even the lowest contract price still adds up to more than buying the iPhone4 outright at the extortionate price applied here in the UK and then running it on a PAYG deal for the same period. Strange as it seems, £499 is still cheaper than a lower initial price and £30 per month for 24 months (or £35 per month for 18 months).

Of course, there is no denying that $199 is cheaper still - apart from the fact that the signal I would get in Warwickshire from AT&T is probably even worse than from O2 (i.e. none - in both cases) :)

I am seriously tempted, especially now our useless Government has decided to increase VAT to 20% from next January. It just seems wrong to scrap a perfectly functional iPhone3G which is only 18 months old :\

(The fact that I bought an iPad only a month ago does have some bearing on the matter. If we had not been forced to wait an extra 2 months for that, then perhaps more of us over here would have gone out and bought an iPhone4 as well).

aan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do i take all my photos and movies completely off my Iphone

This one is easy. :)
Just uncheck photos in iTunes and sync.

and choose the ones i want back on in my own folders?

I would guess you have to select them again unless iTunes remember your previous selection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have a 3g and could care less about the new upgrade! I just upgraded it last night, and actually thought the upgrade had failed because it looked axactly the same as before. Some of the things that were left out on the 3g are an unbelievable joke! I can't put a wallpaper on the main screen?? Seriously?? I always thought they were limiting features because the 3g didn't have the right specs, but I now know that there are other reasons behind it. Sorry, I just can't get over this one! You can't put a still pictured wallpaper on a phone that has better specs than most old computers...which LET you do it! It's a joke!!:Angry: Thank god i4 comes out in 2 days!! I also wouldn't be saying this if I hadn't tried jb-ing my phone with wallpapers THAT DIDN'T HINDER PERFORMANCE AT ALL(unless you used a video wallpaper)!!! What gives Apple??

Ooohhh...1k posts :)

I also have noticed another *problem*, or maybe it's not a problem but has something to do with the options in iphoto/itunes. All my pictures are blurry, as if they have been compressed. I haven't tried to figure it out yet, but I'm guessing there might be a "compress photo's" option. Although that wouldn't answer why some look fine...arggghhhhhh

Edit: upon further examination, it seems that I have the same amount of photos as before, while having them take up less space on my iphone. How do I take it back so they are not so compressed...the way it was before iOS4?

aan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thought - I could not find a way to remove wallpaper from the main screen and return it to the 3.1 look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Another thought - I could not find a way to remove wallpaper from the main screen and return it to the 3.1 look.

I don't think you can. You can just put a black or solid color background on your iPhone and choose that for your home screen background.

aan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think you can. You can just put a black or solid color background on your iPhone and choose that for your home screen background.

That is what I've done - closed the camera and took a black picture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Mine did a 'convert pictures' thing as well. Hope it hasn't screwed up my pictures. :(

Edit - they look OK as far as I can tell :)

Reaction score
3G internet slow?

Has anyone noticed that the internet over 3G (not WiFi) is a lot slower and unreliable? It started right after the update. Also, the maps app loads the streets way slower. What gives? Hm.....

Other than that, I like it. Nothing mind blowing yet, but I do like the wallpaper, and the folders. Haven't really USED the multitasking feature yet. They say over 100 new features, but those are the 3 or 4 everyones talking about! LOL :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I have a 3Gs. No problems here, I love it! Although I am tempted to get an iPhone 4 but I'm not sure yet. My 3Gs is doing a good job. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
The new spellcheck update or whatever seems to give me problems. Not as responsive, instead of changing some words automatically it just underlines them in red. Otherwise pretty happy with it. Went ahead and upgraded my 3G S to iOS4 and made all of my folders so when I transfer all my stuff to my new iPhone 4 on Thursday it's all done. Can't wait!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
iPhone 3G (non-GS) - I noticed with iOS4 GM that when I open my Calendar in the phone, it shows whatever was there last time I looked at it but the image displayed is not interactive - touching the screen does nothing. Then after about 1 or 2 seconds, for some reason, all of my events disappear leaving just the white background and lines delineating each hour. After one second of no events, they all reappear and are now usable. According to my router no data is being passed at this time over WiFi. There is no spinning icon in the upper left of the screen either. Anyone else notice this? I was hoping this would be addressed in the released version, but the issue is still present. This was not the case with any other iOS version prior to iOS4. I thought perhaps it had to do with over the air MobileMe iCal syncing, but with no data being passed (that I can detect), I am not so sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.