iOS4 - Can I go Back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
I agree with chas_m, you must do a RESTORE not an upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I tried downgrading last night. It did not go well. I ended up restoring several times, including having to restore as a new phone - after which I discovered that for some reason none of my backups would work. Eventually, I had to restore a backup from February, which means I lost a lot of changes.

Most of it has now been resynchronised, apart from the fact I can no longer login to WoW as my mobile authenticator got removed. I have reinstalled it, but my account no longer recognizes it. I have emailed Battlenet support, but no WoW until they sort that out.

I feel disappointed and angry that Apple have so obviously ruined the 3G phones as a cynical sales ploy - hoping to force happy 3G users to discard what was a fully working phone and buy a new iPhone4 - which they neither wanted nor needed.

Of course, the fact that none of the shops have them in stock anyway, due to Apple once again restricting the supply in order to increase the cachet of being able to buy and own one only adds to the fact that £400 worth of kit only 18 months old is now slow and hard to use, whereas last week it worked fine. :(

Apple seems to forget they already have a large number of almost fanatical fans, who are likely to upgrade eventually anyway - so this sort of tactics are not necessary.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I do not understand what is happening to some iPhone 3g's. Like I said before mine was sluggish right after the upgrade. I turned it off and back on and it was like it was before with 3.1.3. I did not even have to do the double hard reset.

I took it with me last night to a friends and opened every application and messed around. It's just as fast as before iOS4.

Reaction score
I completely agree - my 3G phone is very also very slow and just loading up facebook took 9 seconds! There aren't that many new benefits to upgrading the software and now I want to go back, if I restore what information will I loose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
Look not every one is having this issue meaning that it is a bug. Please submit a bug report and we can hope that it will be fixed. www.bugreport.apple.com

If you choose to do a restore, it will reinstall iOS4 from scratch which should fix your problems. Do no restore from back up or anything, set up as a new phone.

Then everything is going to be compatible there should be no reason for the phone to be slow.

edv

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro iPhone and 2nd gen iPod
iPhone 3G problem after updating software

After I downloaded the new OS4 to my 3G iPhone I lost the information on my apps like Gas Cubby and my photos are messed up with the key photos have lines through them and the photos some are there and others have blanks. I have sync my iPhone again and change the setting on what to download without any luck. When I went to restore it puts the iPhone back to out of the box condition loosing everything. Anyone else had this problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.