iOS 7 is Two Steps Back

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I am also an IT professional, and have done everything from systems administration, systems engineering, and software engineering. I write iPhone applications for my own consumption. So now that we've established our credentials to an extent, we can get on with the ad hominem attacks.

You sound an Apple fanboy who is drunk on apple juice. You parrot the same point that other apple devotees espouse, and try to blame apples blunders on people being resistant to change, when in fact, many of Apple's own developers think Ive's minimalist approach is excessive. The iOS 7 core apps ALL have an ugly white anemic looking interface, with small hard to read gray text, and "stick people" for button icons. Hideous. Many Apple developers think so as well. Google it, and maybe you will become enlightened, but I doubt it. Here's one story to help begin beginning your path to enlightenment:

Apple Facing A Designer And Developer Revolt Over iOS 7
Is Apple Facing A Designer And Developer Revolt Over iOS 7? - Forbes

I see no real information in that article at all, just the usual Forbes link bait.

You spout your credentiatials and insult a senior member for nothing but an opinion. You are as right and indeed wrong as any other. Everyone has an opinion. You've chosen to reference what you see as an opinion aligned with yours, yet that doesn't give it any more weight towards being right or wrong.

Just because people have differing opinions doesn't mean we can't express them in a civil way without resorting to gutter press fanboy rhetoric.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You sound an Apple fanboy who is drunk on apple juice. You parrot the same point that other apple devotees espouse, and try to blame apples blunders on people being resistant to change, when in fact, many of Apple's own developers think Ive's minimalist approach is excessive.
I fail to see how many of the comments made by cwa107 were in fact apologetic. In fact, he made some astute observations about change in general that happen to be quite apt in this context. If you think about it, your response itself demonstrates the credence of his argument - you're resisting the changes made by Apple. If you grow to like, great. If not, move on since there many other solid platforms out their to use.

And let's think about this rationally. I'm willing to bet good chunks of cash that no group of developers will all stand by the product released. Let's take your example. I'm willing to wager that there are many developers at Google who disliked the Holo redesign that came with Honeycomb and ICS. If you can find evidence to the contrary, I'd love to hear it.

To address a different point - the entrenched argument is a weak one at best. Nothing keeps you locked into a platform and if you are an IT professional, you'd know that heterogeneous are not only possible but can be very coherent packages. I use Apple PCs and Android mobile devices, a mixture that causes absolutely zero problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I fail to see how many of the comments made by cwa107 were in fact apologetic. In fact, he made some astute observations about change in general that happen to be quite apt in this context. If you think about it, your response itself demonstrates the credence of his argument - you're resisting the changes made by Apple. If you grow to like, great. If not, move on since there many other solid platforms out next to use.

And let's think about this rationally. I'm willing to bet good chunks of cash that no group of developers will all stand by the product released. Let's take your example. I'm willing to wager that there are many developers at Google who disliked the Holo redesign that came with Honeycomb and ICS. If you can find evidence to the contrary, I'd love to hear it.

To address a different point - the entrenched argument is a weak one at best. Nothing keeps you locked into a platform and if you are an IT professional, you'd know that heterogeneous are not only possible but can be very coherent packages. I use Apple PCs and Android mobile devices, a mixture that causes absolutely zero problems.

What he said +1 there is good and bad in every OS I know I play with many but as always familiarize yourself with the tool your using it makes work less stressful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
I updated about a week ago. Loooove it. Nice. No problems with it. So far. Well, when it was released. What ever date that was.

Reaction score
Typically, I'd bounce you out of here for violating rule #1, but I don't think you read my entire post - or perhaps you just jumped to conclusions early on and started with your vitriol, so I will attempt to have a constructive conversation with you, if that's possible.

Please read:

My main point in preceding paragraphs is to explain the tendency for folks to get soured on one particular facet of a software release, and as a result, diminish the significance of overall improvements. But I think you missed that point.

You then continue on with your comments about the developer community, which I've seen as well and didn't discount in my post...

I don't doubt that many iOS developers are disappointed in the new approach, as it certainly means a lot of work, particularly with apps that haven't had a refresh in a while.

Apple has made similar UI redesigns in the past, and while jarring at first, they are typically refined over time - and I have little doubt that the same will be true with iOS 7. But I think that characterizing the entire OS as a blunder, when there are many significant functionality improvements, is more than a bit overzealous.... and your approach of ridiculing those who disagree with your own opinion, doesn't exactly add to your credibility.

Apple developers were not complaining of Ive's minimalist approach because it meant more work for them -- Many think that it is an excessive knee jerk reaction to Android and Windows 8 being "flattened" out. I've seen several articles on the subject.

I never said that iOS 7 in it's entirety is a blunder, I've only ever referenced the core apps such as Email, Safari, Reminders, etc. I'll say it again, they are hideous! The use of white backgrounds and some which have light gray text looks anemic, and difficult to read. and a step backwards in usability in my opinion. Now if the apps were translucent like siri and notification center, that that would be a big improvement. Or just let the user pick a color!

In my opinion the core apps are so bad I was seriously considering buying an Android phone, but I am too immersed into the Apple ecosystem. I plan on getting the 5s and jailbreaking it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I never said that iOS 7 in it's entirety is a blunder, I've only ever referenced the core apps such as Email, Safari, Reminders, etc. I'll say it again, they are hideous!
Use substitutes then. Use a different mail client, browser and notes application. Take a look here for some suggestions.

In my opinion the core apps are so bad I was seriously considering buying an Android phone, but I am too immersed into the Apple ecosystem. I plan on getting the 5s and jailbreaking it.
How are you so immersed within the Apple ecosystem? Transitioning away from it is so easy if you export your data. In fact, some of Apple's services (such as iCloud) use standard technologies that can be used with other platforms. For example, here are the email settings for iCloud.

Reaction score
Use substitutes then. Use a different mail client, browser and notes application. Take a look here for some suggestions.

How are you so immersed within the Apple ecosystem? Transitioning away from it is so easy if you export your data. In fact, some of Apple's services (such as iCloud) use standard technologies that can be used with other platforms. For example, here are the email settings for iCloud.

Yes, substitutes are one possibility. However, then you lose the ability to use voice commands to add reminders and so forth. And sure, OS X allows you to configure mail, calendars, and contacts. But then to send text from an android to all my iphone friends and family, they would have to install and configure third party SMS apps. Plus I like being able to tell my iphone to "add celery to shopping list", and it appears everywhere. Not that easy with android!

Another possibility is to jailbreak the iPhone, which I'm planning on doing. Then I don't have to contend with minimalist fanaticism gone awry.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I never said that iOS 7 in it's entirety is a blunder, I've only ever referenced the core apps such as Email, Safari, Reminders, etc. I'll say it again, they are hideous! The use of white backgrounds and some which have light gray text looks anemic, and difficult to read. and a step backwards in usability in my opinion. Now if the apps were translucent like siri and notification center, that that would be a big improvement. Or just let the user pick a color!

OK then, on that point we agree. On backlit screens, I much prefer dark backgrounds with light text - there is certainly an overuse of white in iOS 7. I also don't care for the Apple icons at all, and I don't like how the swipes were reversed in Mail/Messages. I also agree that Apple should implement skins/color themes. And finally, it has been my dearest wish for some time now to allow "default application" selections - particularly for the browser. Mobile Safari sucks as bad as desktop Safari and I would prefer to use Atomic Browser as my default.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi
I downloaded iOS 7 for my iPad 3 and well, it is what it is. lol

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I downloaded iOS 7 for my iPad 3 and well, it is what it is. lol

I did too and I absolutely love it! I like the new icons and the different arrangement of apps along with the easier access to Mail. A great update.

I've heard some folks complain about battery usage but I haven't noticed anything different from iOS 6 and I use my iPad 3 on cellular (Verizon LTE) most of the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi
Well you know after playing with it for a while it's not too bad. I do miss the cool graphics but I will get used to it.

C

chas_m

I think largely a lot of the complaints really come down to "its just different." That usually fades.

I'll go along with some of cwa's concerns -- I have to wonder if the (bit excessive) use of white isn't eating more battery. I'm not at all bothered by the new icons, but yeah the reversal of the way you delete messages will take some getting used to (however, the swipe is now WAY MORE selective and functional than it was, so I'll take it).

The last time Apple allowed people to use themes (ie built into the OS), the result was the most hideous concepts Man has yet recorded. The blunt truth is that most people have Microsoft's level of taste and style, and should leave such things to the professionals. It's INCREDIBLY rare that I ever see a customized Windows or Linux machine and don't think "what is WRONG with this person?"

And you know it's bad if you find yourself wishing they'd go back to XP's default scheme, the Fisher-Price-invades-Teletubby-land special!!

I've never agree with ALL of Apple's design choices and I doubt I'll be starting anytime soon, but as someone who didn't like the look of the early iOS 7 screenshots at all, I find that in practice they are better than I expected on the whole.

To my GREAT surprise, the thinner font is actually easier for me to read (because in most cases it's larger and superior typographically, which makes it clearer). Simply put, I'll take this:

IMG_1008.PNG

Over this:

6a0115710fc794970c0192acb26378970d-320wi.png

ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, with me it's the white with Gray text. For the last 10 years even with good glasses that combo makes me strain to read it. That is the most serious issue for me. I do not really like the Flat look and icons but that White and gray is what really hurts me. Not my fault but many others seem to have the same issue. I wish that part could be changed by the user.

I really don't like the yellow with black look at that much above but I can read that without issue at least! :D Grin

C

chas_m

Dennis: that part CAN be changed by the user. It's under Preferences Accessibility Visual.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas I have a lot of respect for you so I am sure you are right. But answer me this then, why is everyone talking like it's set in stone?

C

chas_m

Because they haven't discovered what I just mentioned, I guess. Or if they really won't give iOS 7 a proper chance, they also can't be bothered to learn how to revert to iOS 6 if that's what they really want.

Let me put this another way: has history shown that Apple's biggest decisions that moved users off whatever they were on and onto whatever the new system/processor/etc was ... ever been retroactively judged by the majority of users to have been a colossal mistake?

I've been through this many times, as have you most likely ... 680x0 to PPC, PPC to Intel, OS 7 to OS 8, OS 9 to OS X, the iMac with its USB ports (HERESY!), iMovie to iMovie, Final Cut Pro to Final Cut Pro X ... just to name a few examples. I can't think of any occasion where the introduction of the change wasn't marked by a wailing and gnashing of teeth and the lamentations of the women and children.

Then you wait a few weeks, sometimes months, sometimes a year ... and everyone wonders what the fuss was about. I've seen this over and over and over and over.

Apple occasionally makes small missteps, I grant you. It's part of why I like the company so much, actually ... still willing to take big risks, and still willing to fail sometimes.

But I've racked my brain and can't think of a single instance where something Apple did that really pushed users forward didn't ultimately pay off and get accepted (and ultimately lead to more and better things). I'm willing to bet big money that iOS 7 isn't going to be the first to buck that trend, even if there are things about it I'm not totally crazy about.

This is the way Apple has always worked. Release a great idea, then polish and polish and polish. Mac OS X 10.0 was an AWFUL release, but nobody went back. iMovie 7 was LOATHED by iMovie 6 users (me included!!), but by the time iMovie 09 rolled around guess what happened.

I remember all too clearly all the SCREAMING about compatibility issues with Snow Leopard -- sometimes by the exact same people who now claim that was Apple's "golden age" of OS X releases. :)

If there's something you don't like about iOS 7, try to think of it as iOS 7, version 1.0 ... and adjust the attitude, because Apple ain't going back.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
What is "drunken goat cheese"? I LOVE goat cheese, and well, you add the word "drunken" to it and I'm intrigued! ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is "drunken goat cheese"? I LOVE goat cheese, and well, you add the word "drunken" to it and I'm intrigued! ;)

Not sure but like you I LOVE Goat cheese also. I can't get enough of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.