iOS 6 rip off...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Straight from Apple - iOS 6 Preview ...

Features are subject to change. Not all features are available on all devices.
1.Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas. Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply.
2.Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.
3.Shared Photo Streams requires iOS 6 on iPhone 4 or later or iPad 2 or later, or a Mac computer with OS X Mountain Lion. An up-to-date browser is required for accessing shared photo streams on the web.
4.FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability. Carrier data charges may apply. FaceTime is not available in all countries.
5.VIP list and VIP and Flagged smart mailboxes will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
6.Offline Reading List will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
7.Made for iPhone hearing aids require iPhone 4S.
8.Find My Friends and Find My iPhone enable you to locate iOS devices only when they are on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network or have an active data plan. Not available in all areas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
I'm glad I've waited and held on to my BB Storm's for the last 3.5 years. I wonder what this will do to IPad1 values?

Tom

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There will always be a used market for the original iPad and also the iPad2. The value may drop somewhat, just like used car values drop a bit every year when new models come out.

I just recently sold an early 2008 MacBook for a very good price. Way over that which was quoted by sites that specialize in placing values on used Macs, iPhones, and iPads. You may be surprised how much you can get for your iPad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just recently sold an early 2008 MacBook for a very good price.

Congrats!:) e-Bay, Craig's List, or elsewhere?

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried Craig's List but the only responses were obvious scams. One guy wanted me to ship it to him out of country and was willing to pay me $80 over my asking price - from PayPal no less. Yeah, right.

I also advertised it in my local Green Sheet. First guy that called bought it for my asking price - cash. (We met at a local restaurant that had WiFi.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I tried Craig's List but the only responses were obvious scams. One guy wanted me to ship it to him out of country and was willing to pay me $80 over my asking price - from PayPal no less. Yeah, right.

I also advertised it in my local Green Sheet. First guy that called bought it for my asking price - cash. (We met at a local restaurant that had WiFi.)

Very nice! Always nice to get your asking price...and not have the whole affair drag out with a bunch of half-interested "flakey" buyers!;)

I thought maybe since you got more than the MacBook is typically worth...that maybe you sold it on e-Bay...where the bidding can sometimes get "crazy" (due to the emotion/excitement) of the auction format...and folks bid higher than they should.

Congrats again,:)

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'd like to understand why the 1st generation iPad doesn't get this update at all. It was released in 2010, and it hasn't been quite 2 years since the last of the new units were sold. That's a pretty sharp cut-off. Technically speaking, it's powered by hardware components that are much the same as the iPhone 4 and should be capable of at least the same functions as that of the iPhone 4.

Unless there's something I'm missing, this is heavy-handed, even for Apple, who is known to EOL devices quicker than many of the other industry heavyweights. Note that I don't have an iPad 1, but I do have an iPad 2 - and I'm just curious if they'll essentially deprecate it before its time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well I get the gripe because it's the first time that I've been caught out. I bought an iPhone 4 just 12 months ago and it grates a little.

I guess it all depends on where you are in the cycle of your phone and upgrades. I actually purposly timed my first iPhone purchase with the iPhone 3G since it seemed that every other year a new design would come out with the latest bells and whistles and the latest software that would only run fully on the new model and it's all in sync with my upgrade cycle.The interim years (which bread things like the iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4s don't get huge software updates that cause my phone to lose compatibility, for the most part). I'll get a new iPhone 5 with iOS 6 in the fall, then skip the new hardware in 2013 (iPhone 5s? iOS 7?) and upgrade again in 2014 (iPhone 6 and iOS 8?). Sometimes, it's all about timing.

C

chas_m

I'd like to understand why the 1st generation iPad doesn't get this update at all.

Okay:

1. Single-core A4 chip versus the dual-core A5 chip (in the iPad 2). I don't know enough about those chips to tell you everything that's different, but single-core vs. dual-core generally equals a roughly 80-100 percent performance improvement.

2. VERY significantly-improved graphics, and of course the latest iPad had a 4X improvement on that score.

3. Gyroscope (the original iPad doesn't have one).

I think it's pretty obvious why the original iPad didn't get this upgrade, really.

PS. I might remind you that the iPhone has been on an equally aggressive turnover of technology for five years now. My original iPhone stopped at iOS 3.1.3 (2.5 years and two major upgrades after the device went on sale), and the iPhone 3G missed out on iOS 5 (2 years 11 months and once again two major upgrades from the version it shipped with). This pattern suggests that iOS 6 will be the last for the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4. If my notes are correct, the iPhone 4 only ever shipped with iOS 4.0 on its release day and thus will have remained compatible with two major upgrades since its release.

The original iPad will be -- well, look at that -- 2.5 years old when iOS 6 comes out, though *technically* it will have lasted two major upgrades since its original release (it shipped with 3.2 originally, got upgraded to 4.0 two or three months later).

I'm seeing a pattern.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do remember SAME CPU and Graphics on the 1st gen iPad as the 4 and the 4 gets the upgrade.

Also I have news for you, if the 1st gen iPad does not have a Gyro, why does the Stanley Level that USES the Gyro to function work Perfectly? I just tried it just to be sure. You know, Stanley who makes Levels and tape measures? Not trying to be a pain. The only thing missing is a Camera and you do not need a camera to run IOS6 even though I have heard it over and over as an excuse for IOS6 not working on the 1st gen iPad.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default...PAGE=PR_iphonelevelapp09.htm&LEFT=left_pr.htm

It flat out says they use the Gyro.

A lot of sites say it does not have a Gyro but the Astronomy App that tells you were the stars are also claims to use the Gyroscope and I installed and ran it on my iPad 1 and it works just like it does on my friends brand new 3RD gen iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
Straight from Apple - iOS 6 Preview ...
5.VIP list and VIP and Flagged smart mailboxes will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
6.Offline Reading List will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
In my opinion, these two features of iOS 6 highlight the almost unnecessary restrictions Apple is enforcing over the hardware. Of course, when you look at in from a purely logical point, why is an iPhone 3GS unable to have a new mailbox that shows emails from certain people? There is no hardware implications that I can imagine that would restrict this.

This however can be contrasted with the business side, one that seems to have be largely ignored in this thread. Apple is a business and despite how much they try and convince you, they want money, same as everybody else. Or being more specific: they want your money. And when you consider that the firmware updates are free, the only way for them to get more money from you is through hardware upgrades. They need some way for this to happen and thus they encourage you by showing the shiny new product that has features you don't have.

And while I must say that this is certainly not a nice move by Apple, it is life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I guess it all depends on where you are in the cycle of your phone and upgrades. I actually purposly timed my first iPhone purchase with the iPhone 3G since it seemed that every other year a new design would come out with the latest bells and whistles and the latest software that would only run fully on the new model and it's all in sync with my upgrade cycle.The interim years (which bread things like the iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4s don't get huge software updates that cause my phone to lose compatibility, for the most part). I'll get a new iPhone 5 with iOS 6 in the fall, then skip the new hardware in 2013 (iPhone 5s? iOS 7?) and upgrade again in 2014 (iPhone 6 and iOS 8?). Sometimes, it's all about timing.

I've been leaning that way for a while baggss. One of the problems for the consumer is that the purchase price and contracts suddenly become very attractive towards the end of life cycle.

The savvy Apple user may see it coming but most of the switchers and well meaning newbies won't and will end up out of sync with a nice product but a tinge of regret and disappointment.

Same thing happens with golf equipment...Ping are the masters of the technique.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Okay:

1. Single-core A4 chip versus the dual-core A5 chip (in the iPad 2). I don't know enough about those chips to tell you everything that's different, but single-core vs. dual-core generally equals a roughly 80-100 percent performance improvement.

My post referred specifically to the differences in hardware between the iPhone 4 (which does qualify for the upgrade) and the iPad 1, which does not. I realize the iPad 2 has the A5. The concern I raised is that if Apple is picking and choosing for seemingly arbitrary reasons, then I'm concerned about the longevity of the iPad 2.

Again, the iPad 1 was released in March 2010, and it continued to sell (new) all the way up to the iPad 2's release in March 2011. That means that they have EOL'ed the machine after less than 2 full years of service, while still maintaining OS upgrades for the iPhone 4, which is significantly older (but still has roughly the same hardware specs).

I think it's pretty obvious why the original iPad didn't get this upgrade, really.

Maybe I'm just incredibly stupid then, because I don't see an obvious reason other than Apple trying to strong arm their early adopters into upgrading their relatively new hardware. And if that's true, then I think what this should tell the consumer is "A first generation Apple product in a new market niche, is really kind of a beta test - always wait for the second gen"... and I hope that's not the case.

PS. I might remind you that the iPhone has been on an equally aggressive turnover of technology for five years now. My original iPhone stopped at iOS 3.1.3 (2.5 years and two major upgrades after the device went on sale), and the iPhone 3G missed out on iOS 5 (2 years 11 months and once again two major upgrades from the version it shipped with). This pattern suggests that iOS 6 will be the last for the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4. If my notes are correct, the iPhone 4 only ever shipped with iOS 4.0 on its release day and thus will have remained compatible with two major upgrades since its release.

The original iPad will be -- well, look at that -- 2.5 years old when iOS 6 comes out, though *technically* it will have lasted two major upgrades since its original release (it shipped with 3.2 originally, got upgraded to 4.0 two or three months later).

I'm seeing a pattern.

That analysis makes a little more sense to me, but I still think it's pretty crappy to time the EOL from date of original release. It should be timed to last machine in a model line sold before it was discontinued.

C

chas_m

Do remember SAME CPU and Graphics on the 1st gen iPad as the 4 and the 4 gets the upgrade.

One of them is still in producting and available for sale. The other is not. Again, obvious I would have thought.

Also I have news for you, if the 1st gen iPad does not have a Gyro, why does the Stanley Level that USES the Gyro to function work Perfectly?

My source for this was here:
iPad 2 vs. original iPad: what's changed? -- Engadget

Maybe they were wrong.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One of them is still in producting and available for sale. The other is not. Again, obvious I would have thought.

My source for this was here:
iPad 2 vs. original iPad: what's changed? -- Engadget

Maybe they were wrong.

The whole thing is confusing as I have also seen many articles saying the 1st Gen iPad had no Gyro, but then I have those apps that claim it needs one and they work! Time to take a headache pill! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The whole thing is confusing as I have also seen many articles saying the 1st Gen iPad had no Gyro, but then I have those apps that claim it needs one and they work! Time to take a headache pill! :D

Lol! More like a paracetemol sandwich Dennis. I think we are approaching critical mass.

Too many keynote speeches, upgrades,versions, software updates, apps, a marketing department that gets things wrong and a press that compounds it all to boot.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same here. Seems like a pretty short run for support.

I used to really get excited about IOS upgrades:Grimmace:

Yep..and now we are watchful and circumspect which is no bad thing in any case:D

Reaction score
I understand the OP's sentiments. Apple has been a greedy company. But lately they've been getting utterly ridiculous. Luckily I have a 4s, but I do have a power pc Mac and was destroyed when switched to intel. Not only this. But they are not nearly as innovative as they try to make people believe. Especially when it comes to iOS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.