Invald Memory Access

Reaction score
I'm chasing an issue and wanted to ask the communities opinion before purchasing new replacement memory. I own a 2005 Power Mac G5 quad that has developed the "roaring fan" issue, I was able to purchase the ASD dual boot 2.5.8 to recalibrate the fans but when booting up the ASD program I get this error pop up (bottom left of display)

Invalid Memory Access at SRR0: 00000000.007ff404 SRR1: 10000000.00003030

And cannot use the ASD software.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have you owned this Powermac G5 for a while (and it worked fine previously). Or did you purchase it recently...and it came this way?

Also...depending on how many sticks of RAM are installed. If you feel this is a RAM issue...remove all the RAM...and only reinstall the minimum RAM (one matching pair). Then you can "trial & error" test with different pairs of RAM & see if you get better stability.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Any chance this is the 2.5GHz model Dual Core? Being liquid cooled they can develop a leak and cause all sorts of problems. Seems two problems the fans and memory. Take the side off and boot her up (see Lisa?) and see which fan is roaring.

OP
X
Reaction score
Hi Nick,

I've owned the computer since 2005, the roaring fan issue started some time ago but did not attempt to solve until now. I have 16 Gb of OWC matched memory installed and tried the random reinstall of pairs without luck. I can't imagine all the memory would be bad :[

Thanks for the input.

- Scott

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey there Scott. Good to know some history on the Powermac.:) Sometimes with used computers...folks purchase them super cheap...then hope for a miracle to get them working again. Many times a miracle is what these folks need...since the previous owner knew the computer was about a good as a submarine with screen-doors!;)

If you tried various RAM combinations (with no improvement)...I would suspect the problem is not RAM...since at least one pair of RAM would be ok.

When you put the computer back together (from various disasemblies)...did you miss anything? Powermac G5's are/were very sensitive to everything being put back together properly...otherwise the fan's start howling like a 747 jet.

- Nick

OP
X
Reaction score
Any chance this is the 2.5GHz model Dual Core? Being liquid cooled they can develop a leak and cause all sorts of problems. Seems two problems the fans and memory. Take the side off and boot her up (see Lisa?) and see which fan is roaring.

The computer is the 2.5 Quad Core - I will take a look i side to determin which fan is out of control and if I can detect any signs of leakage.

Thanks for the input, will report my findings :)

OP
X
Reaction score
Hey there Scott. Good to know some history on the Powermac.:) Sometimes with used computers...folks purchase them super cheap...then hope for a miracle to get them working again. Many times a miracle is what these folks need...since the previous owner knew the computer was about a good as a submarine with screen-doors!;)

If you tried various RAM combinations (with no improvement)...I would suspect the problem is not RAM...since at least one pair of RAM would be ok.

When you put the computer back together (from various disasemblies)...did you miss anything? Powermac G5's are/were very sensitive to everything being put back together properly...otherwise the fan's start howling like a 747 jet.

- Nick

I will double check. When I started this project I blew the dust out with compressed air and carefully hand cleaned the parts/areas that the air couldent. Prior to this other than installing memory no tinkering.

I will report my findings and appreciate your input.

OP
X
Reaction score
Ok, opened her up including the cooling area to see if I could see any leaking, no leaks and the loud fans seem to be the cooling system rear pair.

When I start up the computer it dips then ramps up to this annoying speed. Possible heat sensor issue?

Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Xowi have a read of this link dealing with (a) the plastic insert and (b) the last post by an Apple technician on problems with memory and the PRAM battery. The battery is pretty cheap, just a few bucks, and may be the first shot to0 try:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypZRzdCo2EM

OP
X
Reaction score
Xowi have a read of this link dealing with (a) the plastic insert and (b) the last post by an Apple technician on problems with memory and the PRAM battery. The battery is pretty cheap, just a few bucks, and may be the first shot to0 try:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypZRzdCo2EM

Excellent, thank you. I'll replace the battery and check to make sure the plastic "shroud" is seating correctly to the sensor.

Thanks again for the ideas, would like to keep this computer in action ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...and check to make sure the plastic "shroud" is seating correctly to the sensor.

The plastic shroud was one of the items I was concerned about when I mentioned earlier about making sure the computer was reassembled 100%. If that shroud is forgotten or not aligned properly...then the fans will go crazy. I'm guessing you got it right...but never hurts to check.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.