Internet connection slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017, 27' iMac. 3.5 Ghz,Qcore,i5,16 Gig, 1TB
Hello to All,
After doing a thorough cleaning with Onyx I installed macOS Sierra. All is well , but internet is slow. Opening Chrome ( or Firefox , Safari) is fine but going to any web site takes 30 - 60 secs. I have tested cable speed using Speedtest.net and after finally getting connected the test is always good (42-45 mbps). Using iPad or iPhone is no problem. Watching video on Youtube is ok , but for the slow connection . I think it must be a wrong or missing setting ?
Anyone with a suggestion , sure would appreciate.
Regards , John.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
- When was the last time the computer was rebooted?
- How much free space on the hard drive?
- What apps do you typically have open at the same time?

* Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
After doing a thorough cleaning with Onyx I installed macOS Sierra. All is well , but internet is slow. Opening Chrome ( or Firefox , Safari) is fine but going to any web site takes 30 - 60 secs. I have tested cable speed using Speedtest.net and after finally getting connected the test is always good (42-45 mbps). Using iPad or iPhone is no problem. Watching video on Youtube is ok , but for the slow connection . I think it must be a wrong or missing setting ?

Hi John - in addition to Nick's suggestions, I'm assuming that you used the standard 'Automation' setting on Onyx rather that going in and making a LOT of adjustments? Also, from your computer stats, your iMac has just 4 GBs of RAM - 8 would be better.

Please provide information on your internet setup: 1) ISP type (cable, DSL, or other); 2) What modem/router are you using - provide brands/models; 3) Have you cabled your iMac to the router, if so, any better results vs. wireless; 4) Assuming that 'no problem' w/ iPad or iPhone means that the Wi-Fi is working fine and that the problems you are having on the iMac are not being seen; and 5) If your iMac is wireless, please see the image below - if you hold the Option key and click on the Wi-Fi icon in your top menu bar, MUCH information is given on your Wi-Fi connection - do a similar screen capture and post back here.

In the meantime, I would also suggest that you 'power recycle' your modem and router, i.e. pull the AC (or turn off the ON-OFF switches) - wait a while and re-power the modem and then the router (of course, you may have both in one unit - don't know)? Will await your response. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 8.45.53 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In the meantime, I would also suggest that you 'power recycle' your modem and router, i.e. pull the AC (or turn off the ON-OFF switches) - wait a while and re-power the modem and then the router (of course, you may have both in one unit - don't know)?

Great suggestions Dave. Something I need to do once every other month or so when things get wacky!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great suggestions Dave. Something I need to do once every other month or so when things get wacky!;)

- Nick

Thanks Nick - think that I'm on my 5th or 6th router - great to clear out the 'cobwebs' w/ some power recycling occasionally! :) Dave

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017, 27' iMac. 3.5 Ghz,Qcore,i5,16 Gig, 1TB
Thanks Nick - think that I'm on my 5th or 6th router - great to clear out the 'cobwebs' w/ some power recycling occasionally! :) Dave

Hey Dave , Nick .
Thanks for the quick response. I think your suggestions may include a winner. It may take a few more days to prove.
Re: your questions - I do a cold boot regularly (about 2 weeks). Disk cap. is 215 used and 785 available. Onyx was run as usual. Cable modem is a "Arris" TG82G from Cogeco Cable Co. The Mac is set up for wireless, but I tried a patch cord to cable box, or TC (Airport Extreme Time Capsule 2 TB), .. all configurations did not fix. And yes , all other devices on my network work fine.
Dave , I have thought of upgrading to 8 or 16 G. But Santa is coming and a birthday (72) ... maybe this old guy gets lucky with a new iMac 27. HaHa , fingers crossed.
Apps that are usually on are 1Password , Blockless VPN , Notes , iTunes and Garmin Express - this is a app that updates my golf watch and uploads golf scores to their database. The watch connects through a saddle/cable/usb. The app comes up when you connect the watch and a new drive icon appears on the desktop. After disconnecting the watch the app remains active and the drive remains on desktop. From passed experience, I don't think Garmin works well with Apple.
So, I closed Garmin Connect app. , ejected Garmin drive and did a cold reboot and my internet connection is working fine ( 42-45 mbps). Will have to work out a sequence for ... eject or quit app or disc. watch. Don't want to reboot every few days.
Thanks again guys , much appreciate the work you do to keep us low level users running smooth. And will let you know if I find anything else about this problem.
Regards ,
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again John - thanks for your response and the information - looks like you'll give some of our suggestions a try, so will await your results - good luck! Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.