Install OSX on new HDD

Reaction score
I want to install Yosemite on a Unibody late 2009 with new empty HDD using a bootable USB stick. I was able to choose it to boot from but it's stuck on white screen with Apple logo and half bar. Any suggestions? (BTW: I can't connect to another Apple computer so that suggestion doesn't work for me)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A late 2009 Unibody MacBook can run High Sierra according to Apple. Are you sure your USB flash drive is a Yosemite installer? And, did you format the new HDD as HFS+ Guid scheme before attempting the install? You can't install macOS on an empty unformatted drive.

OP
P
Reaction score
A late 2009 Unibody MacBook can run High Sierra according to Apple. Are you sure your USB flash drive is a Yosemite installer? And, did you format the new HDD as HFS+ Guid scheme before attempting the install? You can't install macOS on an empty unformatted drive.
Yes, I'm sure it is a Yosemite installer and I'm also sure it works. To be more precise: although the usb stick is recognised as a startup disk the booting proces of the bootable USB stick is stuck, not the OS install proces.

Disk is not formatted yet, I thought it would be possible to format as soon Yosemite installer on USB has booted?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
You should try holding option key at startup and choose the installer - just to be sure it is using that for boot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Disk is not formatted yet, I thought it would be possible to format as soon Yosemite installer on USB has booted?

Nope. Format it first and then the Yosemite installer should work. You will need to boot from the Yosemite USB flash drive first, enter Disk Utility on the Flash Drive, and use it to fomat the new hard drive. Then reboot with the Yosemite installer and do the installation.

OP
P
Reaction score
As already told: I'm trying to boot from the Yosemite USB flash drive. I held down the option key at start up, I chose the USB flash drive: I started the booting proces from the Yosemite USB flash drive but it's stuck half way (I see a white screen with Apple logo and the progress bar half complete) so I can't enter the Disk Utility on the flash drive to format the new hdd.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then the Yosemite Flash Drive is either defective or isn't bootable. Make another installer and try again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, great to hear you're up and running. Visit us often, hopefully we will stay in business. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.