Input codec problem

Reaction score
I am using a Behringer DAC to record from a stereo receiver (phono input) on my Macbook Pro Retina, 15 inch, 2014 laptop running Big Sur 11.2.3. I have set the sound preference to USB audio codec, and the input level monitor on the sound preference screen shows that there is audio coming in. I have set the output in sound preferences to iShowU Audio Capture, but no signal is reaching the Audacity app I use to record. Switching to internal speakers, still no output. Any suggestions?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Which Behringer DAC are you using? There's probably a switch/setting that needs to be adjusted on the DAC. I'm using a very basic Behringer mixer, and if I don't get certain buttons set correctly, I get behavior like that you're describing. It would also help to know exactly how you have the hardware connected.

BTW I read the description of iShowU Audio Capture a quick read. I think that extension allows recording Mac's internal sounds, such as system beeps. I don't think that's what you are trying to do.

Here's my current setup for recording from my stereo to the computer. Something similar should work for you.
1. The mixer I use is connected to the Mac via USB.
2. The left and right channels from whatever stereo output I am using are connected by cable to the left and right side of an input channel of my Behringer.
3. In the Mac Sound preference, pane input is set to USB Audio Codec. Output is set to whatever sound device I want to use to hear the recording. It's usually set to the Behringer because I have headphones connected there, but I've also used the Mac headphone port or a Bluetooth speaker/headset.
4. In Audacity, go to Preferences>Devices and set the import device to USB Audio Codec.

Now try a recording and see what happens.

OP
P
Reaction score
The DAC is UCA222. It's also simple, with the only switch labeled monitor off-on. Neither position corrects the problem. It looks like a signal is getting to the computer, because the audio monitor on the input screen of sound preferences shows an audio signal coming in. Mjy problem is that I can't get that signal expressed using either the internal speakers or IShowU audio capture using sound preferences.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Which Behringer DAC are you using? There's probably a switch/setting that needs to be adjusted on the DAC. I'm using a very basic Behringer mixer, and if I don't get certain buttons set correctly, I get behavior like that you're describing. It would also help to know exactly how you have the hardware connected.

BTW I read the description of iShowU Audio Capture a quick read. I think that extension allows recording Mac's internal sounds, such as system beeps. I don't think that's what you are trying to do.

Here's my current setup for recording from my stereo to the computer. Something similar should work for you.
1. The mixer I use is connected to the Mac via USB.
2. The left and right channels from whatever stereo output I am using are connected by cable to the left and right side of an input channel of my Behringer.
3. In the Mac Sound preference, pane input is set to USB Audio Codec. Output is set to whatever sound device I want to use to hear the recording. It's usually set to the Behringer because I have headphones connected there, but I've also used the Mac headphone port or a Bluetooth speaker/headset.
4. In Audacity, go to Preferences>Devices and set the import device to USB Audio Codec.

Now try a recording and see what happens.

Hi Sly; any chance you might resurrect your weekly video casts? They were great.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've been thinking about doing that for some time now. Every time I think I'm going to get going, something goes wrong. Summer break is coming up soon. I think I'll be able to get them resurrected soon.

I'm thinking in terms of shorter segments may be focussed on How-Tos etc. PM me any suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.