Incorrect date display - Catalina

czit

Reaction score
Running Mac mini, 2.3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16G RAM, Catalina.

Files in column view appear exactly one month earlier than they should. Files created or revised on July 16, appear as June 16 - but with the time of unchanged.

However, Get Info reveals the correct date. See attached screen shot.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Carl
date anomaly1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you look in System Preferences > Date & Time?

OP
C

czit

Reaction score
Did you look in System Preferences > Date & Time?
Thanks Bob, but Date & Time is set correctly. Everything working properly except date display in column view. This strangeness started a few days ago. All older files display dates correctly. It's just new ones that are exactly 1 month behind.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I notice that your files are dated as: Month/Day/Year whereas your "Get Info" gives the date as: Day/Month/Year and this is, you say, the correct one.

I don't know the exact relevance of having the dates shown differently; but I think you should use System Preferences, as member ferrarr (Bob) suggested.

I think that the date structure should be uniform across the computer. This can be changed in Sys Prefs.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I think that the date structure should be uniform across the computer. This can be changed in Sys Prefs.

I thought the Mac OS did that for a user and set the date and time globally drum set as to one's location unless the time date structure was changed with a custom order, but it should still use that setting globally. At least it does on my old 2011 iMac with Mavericks 10.9.5.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I thought the Mac OS did that for a user and set the date and time globally drum set as to one's location unless the time date structure was changed with a custom order, but it should still use that setting globally. At least it does on my old 2011 iMac with Mavericks 10.9.5.

- Patrick
=======
Still does, Patrick. At least through Monterey 12.4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still does, Patrick. At least through Monterey 12.4.

OK.
So am I misunderstanding something as Ian pointed out to the OP in his post #4 above???

They seem to have two different time/date orders in use.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could be that the displays have been customized. The options in System Preferences/Language & Ration/Advanced allow you to change the order by dragging and dropping the components. Here is a screenshot of the Advanced options. Note the "Type text and drag date elements to create a custom format":

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 5.13.56 PM.png
But even if the order is changed, the actual date data should be the same.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I agree.... and yet....... they are not the same.

I openly admit that my observation of the difference in the month/day order merely caused me to speculate. Why different sequence and why one date is correct and the other wrong?

Is this a red herring or does this point to a possible solution?

Supposing the OP changed the month/day sequence so that both are the same ie Day/Month/Year as in "Get Info"???

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the OP could probably do that. The format in Get Info seems to be the one labelled "Full" in the screenshot I posted, but Get Info in my system, which uses defaults, uses the "Long" format, that is, the day of the week isn't listed. I also note there is no space or punctuation between the day of the week and the date of the month. In other words, it says "Saturday16" instead of "Saturday, 16" as I think it should if it was still the default. From that, it appears that something is tinkering with the system settings, which is something either the OP isn't telling us or something sinister.

@czit do you have an "tweaks" to the system, or any "helpers" or "cleaners" installed? Any "utilities" that didn't come from Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Could be that the displays have been customized. The options in System Preferences/Language & Ration/Advanced allow you to change the order by dragging and dropping the components. Here is a screenshot of the Advanced options. Note the "Type text and drag date elements to create a custom format":

View attachment 36608

Huh. If I had to guess.... I think the OP clearly customized the date display given how it has the day of the week (Saturday) followed immediately by the day. No space or other separator. So he must have customized this. Given that, rather than having the month field filled in that changes as the month does, he simply free-texted "June" in its place. See my example here.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 21.11.39.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the OP clearly customized the date display given how it has the day of the week (Saturday) followed immediately by the day. No space or other separator. So he must have customized this.

Here is how a "get info" dates displays on my iMac which I am pretty sure are the default settings:

Screen Shot.png

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.