Impatiently Waiting for 15in MBA

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I long ago reached the point that new hardware greatly exceeded my computational requirements, and form, function and cost mattered more than speed.
To that end the MBA is almost the perfect Laptop . . . except these aging eyes don’t like small displays. I thought about going with the 16in MB Pro, but it really is overkill for my needs. It also grates to pay well north of $2000 just to get a bigger screen.

So I am waiting . . . . .. Just not patiently 🤪

Reaction score
...the MBA is almost the perfect Laptop . . . except these aging eyes don’t like small displays. ...

So I am waiting . . . . .. Just not patiently 🤪

You might want to keep tabs on this Web page. It keeps track of all of the developments with the MBA, including rumors, and time between refreshes (so that you can guess when the next refresh might come.):

Here are the latest rumors about a 15-inch MBA:

My personal feeling is that if you need a new Mac NOW, you should purchase one that comes closest to meeting your needs NOW. There will always be rumors of upcoming models, and you have no idea if they will materialize or when. The exception might be if there is a major Apple announcement event scheduled for very soon. It might be worth waiting to see what they announce.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Randy.
I’ve got an M1 13in MBA and a still functional 2012 15in MBP, so I don’t actually need a new laptop, just would appreciate the lighter weight and greater screen area of an upscaled MBA.
If the 16in MBP was lighter or cheaper I would probably go for it, but it isn’t enough of an improvement right now to make me open my wallet. OTA my credit card is on standby should the rumored 15in MBA ever become a reality

Reaction score
... just would appreciate the lighter weight and greater screen area of an upscaled MBA.

I know what you mean. I have a fleet of now very old MBA's, and yet I'm still amazed by how light and competent they are. They are almost like a miracle.

When I got my first MBA, I would bring it home from work and attach it to a desktop monitor, mouse and keyboard and use it as a desktop machine. It was plenty powerful for that task too. However, in time, I got a 27-inch iMac for home use.

I do hope that Apple brings back the 27-inch iMac. That was an ideal home setup. However, at this point I'm thinking that I will go for an M3 mini or Studio when they are released, and pair that with a 43-inch Samsung monitor for my next home computer. That setup should preclude any problems with my eyesight cropping up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Thanks, Randy.
I’ve got an M1 13in MBA and a still functional 2012 15in MBP, so I don’t actually need a new laptop, just would appreciate the lighter weight and greater screen area of an upscaled MBA.
If the 16in MBP was lighter or cheaper I would probably go for it, but it isn’t enough of an improvement right now to make me open my wallet. OTA my credit card is on standby should the rumored 15in MBA ever become a reality
The MBP 16" Mx is exactly the same dimensions as the 15in MBP you have. What makes that possible is that the bezels of the screen are really thin on the new MBP. I had a 15" before I got the 16" and put them on top of one another to compare. Exactly the same. So a 16" may be worth looking at.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know what you mean. I have a fleet of now very old MBA's, and yet I'm still amazed by how light and competent they are. They are almost like a miracle.

When I got my first MBA, I would bring it home from work and attach it to a desktop monitor, mouse and keyboard and use it as a desktop machine. It was plenty powerful for that task too. However, in time, I got a 27-inch iMac for home use.

I do hope that Apple brings back the 27-inch iMac. That was an ideal home setup. However, at this point I'm thinking that I will go for an M3 mini or Studio when they are released, and pair that with a 43-inch Samsung monitor for my next home computer. That setup should preclude any problems with my eyesight cropping up.
I have my M1 Mini hooked to a 48in LG OLED Tv and it is stunning. Tv is on an articulated wall mount so I have maximum flexibility to get the viewing perspective just right. Can’t recommend it more highly.
If I still did Autocad or was a Gamer there might be some downsides, but for my uses, Photography, writing, spreadsheets, and surfing the web . . . plus watching the occasional movie, it’s hard to beat.

Reaction score
I have my M1 Mini hooked to a 48in LG OLED Tv and it is stunning. Tv is on an articulated wall mount so I have maximum flexibility to get the viewing perspective just right. Can’t recommend it more highly.
If I still did Autocad or was a Gamer there might be some downsides, but for my uses, Photography, writing, spreadsheets, and surfing the web . . . plus watching the occasional movie, it’s hard to beat.

Yes, I got the idea from my son, who has a 43-inch Samsung TV/monitor. He is a programmer, so it is extremely useful for him to be able to have four pages open all at the same time, with a good amount of desktop still visible to use. 43-inches was the best size for his purposes.

We did a lot of research to find the perfect Samsung TV/monitor that would be idea for use as a computer monitor. Not all televisions, even 4K televisions, have the specs to work really well with a computer.

LG OLED monitors, of course, are stunning. LG is the premier source for OLED monitors. LG and Samsung have sued the **** out of each other over stealing each other's OLED technology. LOL. My son has a home theater with a huge LG OLED monitor. I'd rather see a movie in his home theater than in a movie theater.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Costco had 48in LG OLED on sale before Christmas last year and I grabbed one. I think it was $300 off. LOTR trilogy is absolutely gorgeous on it!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was looking at getting a new TV about the time the LG OLEDs were just starting to appear. Unfortunately, those units were out of my budget. We ended up with one of their mid-level models (non-OLED) and it's great.

SWMBO would like me to get rid of my monitor and use the TV as a monitor. I don't think that will happen though for two reasons:
1. When I move the computer screen onto most TVs the text of man UI elements is too small. I've worn glasses since I was a kid and it has gotten a bit worse as I've gotten older.
2. I often have the TV on while watching/listening to a program while working at the computer. I think that would be dead awkward without a computer monitor attached.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was looking at getting a new TV about the time the LG OLEDs were just starting to appear. Unfortunately, those units were out of my budget. We ended up with one of their mid-level models (non-OLED) and it's great.

SWMBO would like me to get rid of my monitor and use the TV as a monitor. I don't think that will happen though for two reasons:
1. When I move the computer screen onto most TVs the text of man UI elements is too small. I've worn glasses since I was a kid and it has gotten a bit worse as I've gotten older.
2. I often have the TV on while watching/listening to a program while working at the computer. I think that would be dead awkward without a computer monitor attached.
I have worn glasses since I was 5 and can barely count my fingers without them (a slight exaggeration).
A good 4K TV works quite well as a monitor, though getting the right balance of resolution so the Menus and drop downs are readable can be challenging. I used a 40in Samsung for several years, but ran in at 2560x1440 even though it was cable of full 4K.
Going up to the 48in let’s me run higher resolution while still being able to read the Menus.
Too bad we don’t live closer. I still have the 40in Samsung my LG OLED replaced. You would be more than welcome to it.

EDIT: to me, the “using the TV as a monitor” as distinct from my monitor is also a TV, doesn’t work. And that’s because of viewing distance. To function as a typical home entertainment device my 48in LG OLED would be 5 to 8 feet (or further) away to give a decent viewing angle for multiple people. In my setup I’m about 3 feet away from the screen, give or take a foot.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My LG is a 55" model from 2018 capable of up to 4K. SWMBO was hoping I could have one window open part of the screen with YouTube TV and the other with whatever computer window I need open. She was hoping it would allow me to get rid of the computer monitor.

I haven't tried it but I just don't think a would like that setup.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks . . . I think.
Now I’m even more impatient 😁

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 15" MBP 2.6 i7 GT 650M 16GB RAM/2012 27" iMac 3.4 i7 Radeon HD 6970M 2GB 24GB RAM
Probably wont happen, I’d grab a 14” Pro, with the base M1 Pro chip they have like 14 hours of battery .

I think it would serve your wants/needs well.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I got a 15in MBA last month on sale at Best Buy, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD. Wasn’t exactly what I would have specified if I ordered from Apple, but it was the closest config they had to what I wanted.
Even with my veteran discount the Apple Store version was ~$90 more, so I went for it. Have to say I am delighted! More than enough power and light as a feather (an exaggeration). It lives in a cradle next to my recliner now

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.