• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie on iphone 11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Been experimenting with my new iPhone 11. Made a movie of my lovely garden with iMovie. Been trying to get the movie from the phone to my MacBook. Followed some ideas on YouTube but failed
any help please.
David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Look for an app called Image Capture on the Mac. Connect your iPhone, run that app. Once it is done connecting to the phone, it will show all the image files (photos and movies) on the iPhone. Pick the one you want, then where you want Image Capture to put it and Import the movie.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Jake is, of course, spot on.

The point is that any video taken on your iPhone (by any app) can only be transferred to your Mac via USB connection via either Image Capture or Photos app.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob, that article assumes he is running Catalina. He has not said what he is running there. Image Capture should work, no matter what is on the MBA from 2017 in his profile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Bob, that article assumes he is running Catalina. He has not said what he is running there. Image Capture should work, no matter what is on the MBA from 2017 in his profile.
Nope, it also talks about iOS. Which the OP wants to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob, read the first line of the article (emphasis mine):
In iMovie on iOS 13, iPadOS, and macOS Catalina,

EDIT: Apple only added the Finder access to files on iOS in Catalina

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Bob, read the first line of the article (emphasis mine):
Right, but the OP wants iOS. To export to MacBook. The article describes all the possibilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, but the OP wants iOS. To export to MacBook. The article describes all the possibilities.
In Catalina. The processes described there are for Catalina. It does say this:
You can also use AirDrop, iCloud Drive, and more to transfer finished videos and projects.
But the main thing it discusses is File transfer, which is new in Catalina. Image Capture will work no matter the version on his MBA.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But the main thing it discusses is File transfer, which is new in Catalina. Image Capture will work no matter the version on his MBA.

AirDrop works real well with Catalina which is actually easier than using Image Capture. AirDrop will place the video in his download folder. Image Capture is a bit more involved. I've used both for transferring videos from my wife's iPhone 11 to the iMac. IMO, much easier with AirDrop.

But, as said, Image Capture works with more versions of macOS than AirDrop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been using AirDrop to share videos between my phone and MacMini for a few years.

The link mentions iTunes, but CATALINA does not have iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been using AirDrop to share videos between my phone and MacMini for a few years.

The link mentions iTunes, but CATALINA does not have iTunes.
Yep. However, the article is useful to me, for example, as I have three older Macs that cannot go up to Catalina, and this MBP, is is on Catalina. So to transfer movies to those older systems, I have to do some tricks. The article says how.

I've tried Air Drop, find it spotty at best. Works, sometimes. Doesn't work, sometimes. I can't see anything consistent about the times it works and the times it doesn't. When it doesn't I don't mess with it, I just go to either sharing on a shared NAS drive or through Dropbox, depending on what I'm trying to do.

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Good morning to all

many thanks to all who replied to my prob with iMovie. Followed the method of airdrop yes it worked okay.
But how to get movie from the dow load folder to the iMovie.?
Thanks
David.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
But how to get movie from the dow load folder to the iMovie.?

Sorry, David. Could you just clarify for me? You used AirDrop and it worked. Got that. Are you saying that you used AirDrop to move the video from the iPhone to your Downloads Folder?

If I've got that right, then you would almost certainly want to put that in your Photos app along with all the pics.

To do that, Click/Drag the File from Downloads on to the Photos app icon in the Dock. (If you don't keep the Photos app in the Dock, then open Photos and the icon will appear in the Dock).

Or you can open Photos, then Click on File > Import and navigate to Downloads and click on the video file. More hassle that way.

I'm advising the Photos app rather than importing the video into the iMovie app because it keeps all your pics & videos in the same place for easy viewing.

But if you need to Edit the video and need the sophistication of iMovie app, then you can open iMovie and File Import from Downloads.

Ian

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks once again

will be looking at your method later not at home yet. Busy shopping

Thanks. Ian.
david.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.