• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie mystery

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I created a new movie but things have changed. I have created a project with 3 videos and titles and all looks good until I go to create the DVD. In the past I have In iMovie click Share > Export movie > Desk top > Export as Title Export. Becomes Title.m4v on desk top. Click burn icon in dock (looks like 6 slice pizza). Opens Burn screen, drag .m4v file from desk top. Message - incompatible file, convert to .mpg > Convert > Location desktop. Encoding places Title.mpg in Burn pane. Click Burn > Burn with Mahshita DVD-R UJ-875 (only option). Insert disc > Burn.

This works up to the "convert to mpg". Instead it says "convert to .wav. When I do that it places the .wav file on the desk top and when I burn it to disc it is unreadable on a DVD player.

which is an unplayable on a DVD player.

I am at iMovie 9.0.9. My burn application is Burn.app 2.5.1

Suggestions? How can I convert the .m4v to .mpg?

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Hi poppi. You've obviously forgotten that you already posted that here:

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi poppi. You've obviously forgotten that you already posted that here:
Yes I did post that a while back but this is a different (and annoying) problem with imovie. I am now able to create a "movie" with 3 videos and some titles but where I used to be able to convert the .m4v to .mpg. Now the only opotion offered is a .wav conversion which is unusable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Apologies, poppi, I didn't read your post properly.

It's not a iMovie/m4v problem. Having just had a play with Burn and an m4v file, I think that you have selected "Audio" at the top of the Burn window. That does give me a .wav file.

In Burn, you need to select Video, and then DVD-Video in the dropdown on the right hand side. You will then get the "Convert the mpg" option when you drop your m4v file in the window..

OP
P
Reaction score
Apologies, poppi, I didn't read your post properly.

It's not a iMovie/m4v problem. Having just had a play with Burn and an m4v file, I think that you have selected "Audio" at the top of the Burn window. That does give me a .wav file.

In Burn, you need to select Video, and then DVD-Video in the dropdown on the right hand side. You will then get the "Convert the mpg" option when you drop your m4v file in the window..
Thank you MightyGem you are a genius. I learned to read in the first grade and 80 years later I failed to see the Audio and Video notes. It worked as it always has in the past and I have successfully burned my video. Thanks again

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.