• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie dilemma

Reaction score
A long time ago I was an avid user of iMovie but it's been a long time since I used it and am completely baffled. First some facts.

My iMac is is a 20"early 2008 model running El Capitan 10.11.6 (highest version available). My iMovie is v9.0.9 last modified 5/20/18 and I can't find if it is upgradable.

Here is my dilemma. I am trying to create a slide show with photos only (no videos). If I can get it to work I might add music later. I have dragged multiple photos into the "Project Library" and they are there but when I press the play triangle the red bar moves through the photos but there is nothing playing anywhere. In the old days I would click a camera icon on the right side of the screen (I believe that was an earlier version of iMovie) and photo selections would appear. When I do it now a section titled Photo Booth opens with a message "To see Photo Booth media hear, open Photo Booth to take and save your pictures and videos". However when I open Photo Booth it is a screen with my unflattering live face.

As stated, I have dragged multiple photos into the "Project Library" and they are there. Have I dragge dthem to the wrong place? Am I working in vain here? As stated I am completely baffled.

Sugestions will be very appreciated

poppi

PS: Any recommendations for an affordable alternative to iMovie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Firstly, are you using Apple's Photos app or iPhoto? Photos was included from Yosemite onwards, so would have been with El Capitan.

iMovie v9.0.9(also known as iMovie 11 as it was bundled with iLife 11) was designed to integrate with iPhoto, so it doesn't recognise Photos as a media source. Also it's the final version of that iMovie.

From my memory, using that iMovie with El Capitan onwards, when inserting photos into that version of iMovie, they didn't show. All you got was a black screen.
I have dragged multiple photos into the "Project Library"
You could try dragging them straight to the Timeline.

Do you not have the later iMovie v10? It should have come with El Capitan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
PS. This is a work around for inserting a photo. OK for one or two, but obviously not for a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You may be able to download a newer version of iMovie from the El Capitan Mac App Store. It should offer an older version for your OS.

OP
P
Reaction score
Firstly, are you using Apple's Photos app or iPhoto? Photos was included from Yosemite onwards, so would have been with El Capitan.

I AM IN PHOTOS. I WAS IN IPHOTO UNTIL I UPGRADED TO 10.11 AND THAT'S WHEN MY PROBLEMS STARTED WITH IMPORTING PHOTOGRAPHS TO iMovie
iMovie v9.0.9(also known as iMovie 11 as it was bundled with iLife 11) was designed to integrate with iPhoto, so it doesn't recognise Photos as a media source. Also it's the final version of that iMovie.

From my memory, using that iMovie with El Capitan onwards, when inserting photos into that version of iMovie, they didn't show. All you got was a black screen.

You could try dragging them straight to the Timeline.

Do you not have the later iMovie v10? It should have come with El Capitan.

I DO NOT AND I CANNOT FIND A WAY TO UPGRADE TO v10

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I am trying to create a slide show with photos only (no videos).

Hi poppi. If that is what you want to do - you can do all that within the Photos app. No need to use iMovie.

Moreover, you can select a group of photos, then add text, choose a theme, add music and set how long each slide appears.

Would that not suit you?

Ian

OP
P
Reaction score
I used iMovie for years to create great movies with videos, photos, music etc but when they upgraded to iMovie 11 the ability to import photos varnished and try as I may I caannot find a solution to that problem so I am looking for a good alternative to iMovie. I am willng to pay a reasonable price for a program which will be as good as iMovie was in the o\past. Suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
No need to start another thread on the same topic. I'm sure a Mod will move this to merge with your ongoing thread. Did you see the suggestion to create the show with Photos?

OP
P
Reaction score
I AM IN PHOTOS. I WAS IN IPHOTO UNTIL I UPGRADED TO 10.11 AND THAT'S WHEN MY PROBLEMS STARTED WITH IMPORTING PHOTOGRAPHS TO iMovie

I DO NOT AND I CANNOT FIND A WAY TO UPGRADE TO v10

Hi poppi. If that is what you want to do - you can do all that within the Photos app. No need to use iMovie.

Moreover, you can select a group of photos, then add text, choose a theme, add music and set how long each slide appears.

Would that not suit you?

Ian
Thank you Ian that sounds perfect but there is one question. In the write-up it says "create a slideshow to play on a Mac, iPhone, iPad or Apple TV".Is it possible to burn the project to a disc to play on a DVD/TV combo

Thanks

poppi

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
.Is it possible to burn the project to a disc to play on a DVD/TV combo

Thanks

poppi
You will have to Export the Slideshow from Photos and then make a video dvd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The following work in a very similar way to the current version of iMovie and are free. I have tried them, but I've struck with iMovie because of it's integration with Photos and iTunes/Music which these don't have.

This one is probably the equivalent of Final Cut Pro. Still free though. I've tried two or three times to get to grips with it but find it far too complicated compared to iMovie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.