Imac won't boot up.

Reaction score
Hello, all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Hopefully someone here can help me out!

My Imac always worked great, no problems, a little short on memory from time to time, no slowing, you get the breeze. Anyways, I unplug it from the surge supressor during a storm, plug it back in, fire the baby up and nothing. Not completely nothing. It starts to the point of the apple logo and the little whirling waiting display.

It won't go past that. I've tried launching it in target disk mode on another mac and the external drive comes up as "Techtool deluxe cd".

Two questions. Does anyone know how I could go about fixing this without using target disk mode? (2) What is up with target disk mode? It's not giving me any access to the files on that computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

First try zapping the PRAM by rebooting and holding down Option Command P and R keys all together immediately after the chime, and keep held down until the third chime and release.

Next boot from your system install disc, you do have this I trust, and go to utilities and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. You may have a dead hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.