iMac vs SSD ???

Reaction score
Hi

I'm considering buying an IMac late 2013, 8GB ram, 1TB HDD, OS High Sierra, it will be specifically for music production working with Garageband.. unfortunately theres no option to upgrade the RAM any further then 8GB or to upgrade the hard drive to an SSD. In terms of speed will the currant specs be sufficient for working with audio and a piano sample library running through Garageband?

Or would it be advised to purchase an external SSD and install Garageband and the sample library on the SSD ?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This must be a 21.5" iMac which has soldered on RAM. What are the CPU specs of that machine? The HDD is the 5400 PRM variety which is not good for access times. I'm not sure how memory intensive Garageband is or what size files you will be dealing with, so the 8GB of RAM and slower HDD might work for you.

But the SSD is going to be significantly better for access times and going to 16GB is generally recommended for longevity of the machine.

This isn't a refurb machine you are looking at, but just used. So be weary that you don't have any warranty on this 6 year old machine.

What is your budget?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...unfortunately theres no option to upgrade the RAM any further then 8GB or to upgrade the hard drive to an SSD.

Yes...things have been this way for a while. A bunch of Apple computer models since about 2012/2013...were not intended to be upgraded by the end user. In many cases...the computer needs to be configured at original purchase...with the amount of RAM & internal storage the computer will ever need in it's lifespan.

Fortunately...it actually is possible to upgrade both the RAM and internal storage in a Late 2013 21.5" iMac...but...this doesn't mean that it's easy. If you're willing to give upgrading it yourself a try...then this computer may be for you. But remember...this computer is 6 years old now...and it will only get older from this point forward. 8gig of RAM...and a "spinner" HD inside may be less & less able to get the job done in the future.

Of course what we don't know is...what your total budget is...and what this computer is selling for. If it's a really awesome deal...8gig of RAM and spinner internal HD may be fine.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm considering buying an IMac late 2013, 8GB ram, 1TB HDD, OS High Sierra, it will be specifically for music production working with Garageband..

I would think it would help with the decision if we knew exactly which model it was as there are three in that range and their speed rsge veries by quite a bit:
Geekbench 2 (64): 10123
iMac "Core i5" 2.7 21.5-Inch (Late 2013) Specs (Late 2013, ME086LL/A, iMac14,1, A1418, 2638): EveryMac.com
and
Geekbench 2 (64): 14981
iMac "Core i7" 3.1 21.5-Inch (Late 2013) Specs (Late 2013, BTO/CTO, iMac14,3, A1418, 2742): EveryMac.com

I think I'd also want to do some checking on "minimum iMac for working with garageband" etc:
minimum iMac for working with garageband - Google Search

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro (2017)
I have used Garageband numerous times and wouldn't recommend 8GB of ram. I would recommend at least 16GB with SSD and that's without adding a video to your music.

I would continue looking for something with more ram or get something that you can add more ram too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Duplicate post deleted from here, please just ignore.

It seems the m-f server is having some issues again today.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your feedback..

Specs..

iMac 13,1/i5-3335S
8GB Ram/1TB HDD
GT 640M/21"/A

Intel Core i5 Processor
2.7 GHz, Quad-Core,1600 MHz FSB

Price £350.. is it worth it for the intended use ???

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro (2017)
Thanks everyone for your feedback..

Specs..

iMac 13,1/i5-3335S
8GB Ram/1TB HDD
GT 640M/21"/A

Intel Core i5 Processor
2.7 GHz, Quad-Core,1600 MHz FSB

Price £350.. is it worth it for the intended use ???

As mentioned, no. But that is my opinion. I am not sure what as far as music you intend to create with Garageband. What I do know is that at one time my earlier iMac had 16GB of ram and I added an SSD. I could use Garageband for minor music creation but not extensive music creation. After adding 32 GB of ram things were a bit better. But I later sold it and bought an iMac Pro because I needed more power.

So, 16 GB with an SSD would be the least amount of ram I would recommend.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not in my book for a 2012 21.5" iMac with a slow old 5400rpm drive.

Look for a later 27"model where you can upgrade the memory via the hatch dooron the rear, and that comes with a 512GB SSD. No Fusion drives models eitherwhich just abound on auction sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
The most common problem I see at work with the 21.5" iMac specified in this thread is running slow. To beef them up requires the HD replacing with an SSD, and in many cases the memory upgraded to 16GB. If you receive an older iMac passed down or cheap and are capable of upgrading yourself, not an easy task, I believe it's viable. Not if you are paying £350 and then pay to have it upgraded. Then there's the issue would it be capable of effectively being used for music production? Best first to determine the ideal spec of the Mac for your use, not the minimum spec, then you will know what to look for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
For the first time ever I might be able to help. My late 21.5" imac, EMC2455 was running slow, painfully slow. I couldn't and still can't afford a new one so I bought a 1TB SSD and 16GB of ram along with the tools to get the screen off/ screwdrivers etc, and did it myself. As most on here will tell you, I ain't the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to computers, but I've now got a nice fast imac. I couldn't comment about garage band, but photos and iphotos fly. This was after the so called expert told me that nothing could be done to make it better. I do have to admit one thing though; and that it's that I put the screen back on with the new adhesive strips before testing it, guess what, power on and not a peep. Took the screen off and cracked it :angry:angry
Turns out that I'd forgotten to replace a tiny plug to the power board. The screen cracked because the new adhesive was so strong. Being an ex motor mechanic, I could still kick myself for being so stupid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.