iMac upgrade from Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have a late 2007 macbook. Am I able to upgrade to Maverick. I use it on my Mac Pro 2013 and love it. I'd like some of the short cuts, etc. that aren't available with Snow Leopard.

Nope. OS X 10.7.5 is the latest that MB will run. Check its specs at:
Apple MacBook Specs (All MacBook Technical Specs) @ EveryMac.com

And there are lots of ways to add shortcuts in SL, for suggestions just do a Google search on 'Mac Snow Leopard create short cuts' etc. or use some of the third party utilities for more options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
If you want a performance upgrade, try installing a solid state drive in place of either the super drive or the HDD. I did this to my 32 bit Intel iMac because it was otherwise at end of life since 10.6.8 is the last release that will run on it. I did this a few years ago already and I'm still not tempted to buy another new machine, although I'm typing this on my recent MB Air supplied by my company. I mostly did it because the HDD was dead, but as things would go, the hard drive decided to come to life the day I went to open it up. I figured I should try to turn it on one last time, and sure enough. For a month before that all I would get is a clicking sound.

It isn't an easy swap as you have to open it up, but I did it without any previous experience and it booted up and restored itself from the Time Machine backup first time. I just needed to have an original Snow Leopard disk.

After I had it fully set up again, I did the test of selecting ALL of my apps and clicking them open simultaneously. Only iMovie lagged behind the rest opened instantly.

I'm going to do a SSD update to my kids' MBPs (3-4 years old now) before they go to school in the fall. It is a lot cheaper than buying 3 new machines for them.

Reaction score
iMac Upgrade from Snow Leopard

You have received good advice. I have only one thing to add. Consider upgrading very carefully. When I upgraded to Mavericks, everything on my 2008 iMac slowed up. It's quite infuriating. If I were you, I wouldn't do it, knowing what I know now. If you are getting good use from your MS Word version, keep it. Don't upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you do upgrade make sure you do a clean install after burning Mavericks Installer to a thumb drive.

Remember no more security updates for Snow Leopard which may well become a big problem in this day and age.

OP
R
Reaction score
iMac upgrade

I would just like to thank most sincerely all those who kindly replied to my enquiries about upgrading. The best bit about it is that the general consensus seems to follow my philosophy in life -- do nothing till you have to. Nice to know there are a few souls out there working happily on 10-year-old stuff without hassle.
Once again, it's great to be part of the Mac community. Thanks all.
Rob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.