iMac troubles

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to these forums and was hoping to find some answers to a problem my iMac has recently developed. It is the aluminum 2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo with 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM factory installed. In the last three or four days it is booting and processing extremely slowly without any real know reason. Often it will run at regular speed when doing simple web browsing or word processing but as soon as I go to stream video or even load my iphoto library or bring up imovie it "thinks" for an extremely long time. I feel it may be a RAM issue but have no reason why this would start happening so suddenly. Any thoughts ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks. (If it matters I have had the computer for a year and 3 months).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The video/photo/movie issues suggest a faulty video card. If you have the original disks that came with the computer, boot from Disk 1 and then run Disk Utility to do a hardware check and repair if necessary. If the card itself is at fault, then you'll probably need to take the iMac to a Mac service centre for replacement - hopefully under warranty.

That model of iMac will take up to 4 Gb RAM should you choose to upgrade the memory. You won't regret it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.