iMac or MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Hi there!

First of all, let me say that I'm not asking for an accurate decision specific to me, I'm just curious on your thoughts. ;)

I currently own a 20" iMac which is 3 years old. I'll be finishing University next year so have been thinking about taking advantage of my student discount while I have it.

The current 15" MacBook Pro at £1500 from the Apple online store is ever so slightly better than my current desktop, so it seems like a good bet to go with that with it being portable AND a tiny bit higher in specs. But then I'm the type to think that it's a waste buying a machine which is about as powerful as my current one, when I could go all out and get the i7 Quad core 27" iMac instead...

What are your thoughts on this situation? I've been thinking about it for a few weeks, so I thought I'd get some input from the community. ;)

Thanks! :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure what this has to do with Community Suggestions & Feedback, moved to appropriate forum. Please read the forum descriptions before posting. Thanks for understanding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Apple iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb, 1TB HDD
i'd personally go for the iMac if you don't need portability.. I've just recently bought a 27" iMac to replace my old XP desktop and absolutely love it!!.. although I do have an HP Mini 110 notebook (running Win 7), a Dell Latitude E6400 (work laptop) and an iPhone 4 which takes care of all my mobile needs.. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
iMac 27" all the way baby...... :D

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It's a no-brainer. The 27" iMac.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.