iMac M1 keeps waking from sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
As above, my iMac M1 wakes from sleep without any apparent reason. This happened on Big Sur and still happens now I have upgraded to Monterey.

I put it to sleep, stand to walk away and the screen pops up again. Or I will wake in the night and see the glow from the screen. The iMac is in the next room to our bedroom. I then have a look at it and it awakened. Put it back to sleep and hope?

Any ideas how to stop it please?

Reaction score
Any ideas how to stop it please?

Macs wake up anytime there is some sort of input.

Have a look to see if this helps...

System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> uncheck "Wake For Network Access"

also, in the same dialog box:

Schedule button --> uncheck "Start Up Or Wake..."

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Done Randy, thank you.

The Schedule 'Start up or wake' wasn't checked and it shouldn't wake for network now either

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey John:

Let us know if it still happens even with the "wake for network access" turned off. I have my iMac set with that item checked and it never wakes from sleep.

I think you should additionally do a SMC reset:

This is how:

SMCs and M1 Macs
However, with Macs that are equipped with Apple Silicon chips (the M1 and later) all you have to do is restart your computer. Yep. That’s all. This is another benefit of M.x-based Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Hey John:

Let us know if it still happens even with the "wake for network access" turned off. I have my iMac set with that item checked and it never wakes from sleep.

I think you should additionally do a SMC reset:

This is how:

SMCs and M1 Macs
However, with Macs that are equipped with Apple Silicon chips (the M1 and later) all you have to do is restart your computer. Yep. That’s all. This is another benefit of M.x-based Macs.
No real need, Charlie. In the M1 Macs the SMC is reset every boot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, I knew that but just in case John leaves his machine on 24/7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True. Didn't think of that.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well since I have had the "wake for network access" turned off it hasn't stirred until it's disturbed by tapping a key or moving/clicking the mouse. So that seems to have it cracked OK.

I do do a restart every now and then, but not that often so if it does happen I will make sure I do one.

Starred again folks, ta! All I need to do now is either sort out this dislyxciuqe keybaord or put my fingers on a diet :rolleyes:

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No wake up over night folks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey John:

As long as you're not doing any file sharing or sharing with another computer on your network, you can keep the "Wake for network access" turned off.

I'm wondering if something was going on with that which is why your iMac was waking up?

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I hate to say this folks, but it's back again! In the last couple of days it has been waking again. Sometimes within a few minutes os being put in to sleep mode. It was awake for most of the night last night from what we can make out!

The wake for network access is off, unchecked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
John, try going to System Preferences, Power, or whatever it's called on iMac, on a MBP it is Battery. Anyway, where you set it not to wake for network access, also put a check by "Proven your Mac from automatically sleeping when the display is off." That way the CPU will stay awake, just ticking over and taking very little power, but the screen should go dark after whatever time the slider bar shows on that same panel.

I don't know that it will make a huge difference, but having the CPU running but allowing the screen to go dark may let the CPU deal with whatever is triggering it to wake up without turning on the screen.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found the perfect way to stop the dammed thing. I powered it off :giggle But unfortunately that won't really cure the problem.

I have now checked the Prevent yer Mac jobby and will see what happens.

It's called Energy Saver on the iMac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.