Imac g5 video display problems?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
that could be the problem since the fan cover was off, when it was opened, but why would it effect the os at log on and not other times? thats was is baffling me.

not sure but it can't hurt to remove the two screws and plug/unplug it a couple of times. If the issue does not change, then it's something else.

Do remember even in Windows, some video issues don't show till the driver loads and sometimes that is right at the end of the boot.

OP
T
Reaction score
just wondering is there anyway to check that the gpu and ram and those such things pass or fail?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Only way is Apple Hardware test. It comes on the Install DVD that came with the Mac new. I take it you were not given the original Gray OSX DVD's that shipped with the iMac?

OP
T
Reaction score
oh i just remembered that before the os was installed the first time, that i got to a firewire screen and it displayed correctly, could a bad version of mac os effect the screen, jw, like i said earlier, my friend installed the os, and it could possibly be a pirated copy, im not sure, if that is the problem then I guess I hope and pray that i can find a mac oss x 10.5.XX that is fairly priced. maybe if it a bad version, could it be, that it doesn't have the correct drivers, would that effect it? could it have also corrupted the data or whatever it may be, which is why it is only affecting the system after log on?

OP
T
Reaction score
no i wasn't unfortunatly, thats why i had my friend install the os, i thought maybe he created it from an os disc, but i dunno.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you try removing the screws on that LCD plug and what I said to try? like I said, can't hurt.

OP
T
Reaction score
it's in a bedroom and the people are asleep, I dont wanna wake them up, so i will try it in a few hours.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let us know what happens.

OP
T
Reaction score
the power on test passed, going to try to install 10.5.5 and see if that helps, afterwards, if that doesnt help then i will check the lcd cabels.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.