iMac G5: Noisy fan!!

OP
F

fox

Apple agreed it was a fault and replaced it with a new machine. It's excatly the same!! Back I go again ....

OP
S

SuperNova

My iMac G5 17' emits a kind of squeaking sound... I can hear the fans and really am not bothered by them, but the squeaking is driving me crazy. it goes on and off. I guess it could be a high pitched whirring...
I suppose i'll get that fixed along with my faulty burner :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I would say so.. I sure don't hear anything like that with mine.. so it's not supposed to sound like that :)

OP
M

moutian

The noise from my imac 20" is the kind of noise made by the fans, so i guess it is normal. however, it is a little too loud. I guess if i put it under my desk, it would be Ok, however, for an imac, I don't have this choice. i don't know why so many reviewers said that it is quiet. People use words so differently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
That's not normal. I can't hear mine on a normal basis and only when Im doing some really processor intensive work, do I hear it.. and even then it's extremely quiet.. if I am typing I can't hear it very well.. only in a quiet room do I hear it.. It's VERY quiet.. I would definitely check it with Apple and see what's going on.

Reaction score
bisoladefuye said:
Well, My G5 is ridiculously Loud as well... I love my G5 but once its been runs for a few hours the fans just go into over drive and I crashes. As this is my first ever apple computer, I have to say I'm not very impressed. I changed to apple precisely becuase I was tired of my PeeCee crashing on me. My next cause of action is to call the support guys and see if they can help but if not, I'm returning the G5 and getting my money back and reverting to the good old Windows PC.

Sounds like you have a problem. The iMac G5 runs quietly. You may hear an increase in fan noise if they shift into a higher gear because of an increase in heat. Many times the increase in heat is not the computer itself, but the temp of the room. How hot do you keep your room? When my room is in the 72-74 range i seldom hear an increase in fan speed, but when the room temps rise to the 78-80 range the fans increase often. My iMac sits about 10 feet from the heater outlet and every time the heater comes on the fans increase.

The going "into overdrive" and crashing is a horse of a different color. You certainly have a problem there and I would be calling support for that as it is not at all normal for an iMac to do that. This one runs 24/7 in a room that sits at 72-74 degrees and never gives any sign of problem. My Power Mac G5 is only 5 foot away from the iMack and it gives the same service. Sounds like you may have picked a "Bad Apple" from the barrel...

OP
S

SuperNova

I contacted Apple (via the web chats, cool) and they said it was a problem with my power supply. If only I wasn't on the bleeding edge... the iMacs being shipped now don't have this problem (or the default burner which I also have). Have to get that repaired too.
*SIGH*

OP
W

will_power

my powermac G5 isn't loud at all... which leads me to believe that it's just a matter of the small compactness of the computer, though the reason it took so long to develop the machine was the extensive research done to find out how to get it to run quietly and cool without comprimising space.

OP
C

charles2

I'm an Imac user .I'm new to this forum . I wanna know how to paint in Mac O.S. X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
tom555 said:
This issue is already known by Apple. The part which makes the noise is the power supply. it will be replaced if you call customer service. They will send you a knew power supply without any payment.I read that in a computer magazine from Germany. The iMacs which are delivered now are already fixed.
You are the first person to say that mac have admitted a problem. I am about to cotact them over the excessive noise from the fan in my IMAC G5.
At the moment it is whizzing round at 4000 revs and giving me tinitus even though the load on the CPU is only 0.4. Sometimes it really goes ballistic and you can hear it from the next room.

Reaction score
pirrip said:
You are the first person to say that mac have admitted a problem. I am about to cotact them over the excessive noise from the fan in my IMAC G5.
At the moment it is whizzing round at 4000 revs and giving me tinitus even though the load on the CPU is only 0.4. Sometimes it really goes ballistic and you can hear it from the next room.

I haven't had any fan problems w/ my iMac G5 fan. However, I did notice a slight increase from 10.3.8 to 10.3.9, but it was only so slight, and I had been using my computer for awhile that day (it's gone now; the machine is whisper quiet at all times, with the exception of OS demanding tasks).

OP
U

UncSki1218

for the first week my made that sound...almost like an electric airplane. then one day it just stopped and it hasnt been a problem since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.