iMac G4 Help Needed!

OP
E
Reaction score
Another thing, I wonder if it's booting off the DVD or just ignoring it and booting off the Hard Drive and that is why you get the same boot error. If it's booting off the CD/DVD it will take longer.

Another thing I am wondering if that Gray CD/DVD is the one that came with the iMac? If not you will get an error booting.
I'm pretty sure it is, but I'm not sure. Angelica said it came with everything she got with it except the manual. Uh, I don't know if this helps but heres the fine print on the grey disc.
iMac
Software Install and Restore
Mac OS Version 10.2.3
DVD Version 1.1
Copyright 2003
To start from Mac OS X on this VD, hold down the C key as the computer starts up.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That version of OSX is Jaguar and very old. It sounds like the CD that came with that old an iMac. It still should boot though if it's the CD shipped with the iMac. Not sure what is going on unless it's not the proper CD. Let me think about it some more and I will get back to you.

Any one else have any ideas That I have not covered?

OP
E
Reaction score
That version of OSX is Jaguar and very old. It sounds like the CD that came with that old an iMac. It still should boot though if it's the CD shipped with the iMac. Not sure what is going on unless it's not the proper CD. Let me think about it some more and I will get back to you.

Any one else have any ideas That I have not covered?
Uhm, you said it was in safe mode or something, maybe do I need to get it out?
Or I don't hear the disc spinning when I push C is there maybe a command I can use when I use that Command-Option-O-F thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Okay the grey coloured disc is the correct original install disc and you should be able to boot from that as they did come with OS X.2.3 according to Mactracker. Sounds like you have a dead optical and maybe hard drive if you are unable to boot from that disc.

OP
E
Reaction score
Okay the grey coloured disc is the correct original install disc and you should be able to boot from that as they did come with OS X.2.3 according to Mactracker. Sounds like you have a dead optical and maybe hard drive if you are unable to boot from that disc.
So how do I fix that? D:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is a good question. The G4 iMacs will not boot from a USB drive, so I will have to do some thinking on that and get back to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Will boot from an external Firewire optical drive or replace the internal optical but really do not think it is worth the investment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.