iMac G3 Slot Loader 400mHz 10GB HD upgrade questions..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ah, I figured. However the guy I got this comp from said he has another G3. It's much nicer. 700Mhz, 80GB HD, 512MB RAM. Its the all white one. Isn't it called snow or something? It's $60 and I think I am just going to get it and use my green one until death and then i'll swap out the body parts with my teal one to that one.. That's possible right?

It's probably possible...but believe me...it is not easy...and it is not for the impatient or inexperienced.

The plastic housing & computer components are held together in two ways...some metal screws...and a lot lot lot of interconnecting plastic pieces. Remember...the plastic in these computers is 10 years old...and it starts to get brittle due to age & exposure to heat from the computer. When you start talking them apart...a little too much pressure...and plastic starts to SNAP!:(

I completely disassembled an iMac G3 about a month ago. It was such a pain in the butt to take apart... I seriously considered NOT putting it back together...but I did anyway.:)

What I'm trying to say is...taking one of these things apart is not like flipping a couple latches...and just removing 4, 6, or 8 screws...and you're good to go. It's MUCH MUCH harder than that!;)

But I would say go ahead & buy the 700mhz "Snow" G3 iMac. That's the fastest G3 iMac that was ever made. But I would try & get it for less than $60.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Haha I see. I'm getting flashbacks of when cracked up the dashboard in my car because I put too much pressure on them. But I'll just store the other in my closet until this one starts failing. Then I'll TRY to change over some body parts, but if it gets too complicating, then I'm done. As far as the price, I'm pretty sure he's flexible. He has a ton of computers, he took on fixing computers as a hobby once he retired and now is overrun with them. I'm gonna go with $40 or so on price. Thanks alot Nick, you've been most helpful with my noobness of iMacs :)

Tyler

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as the price, I'm pretty sure he's flexible. He has a ton of computers, he took on fixing computers as a hobby once he retired and now is overrun with them. I'm gonna go with $40 or so on price. Thanks alot Nick, you've been most helpful with my noobness of iMacs :)

Tyler

You're welcome & good luck. I was thinking no more than $40 for that "Snow" iMac. If you can see the display before buying (sharp picture, no wiggles)...go for it.:)

Check out what I mentioned in this post as well:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...-10gb-hd-upgrade-questions-2.html#post1148925

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Well I am going to go ahead and make myself look like the biggest idiot ever and say... It was because of the high powered desk fan shaking the table and/or too much air flow inside the comp.. ugh. Scared me big time. but does that mean something is loose? Thanks haha :)

Sounds that way to me. The vibrations or air-flow from a fan shouldn't cause that. Could be a loose plug/connector...or a frayed wire coming loose after years of high voltage & exposure to a lot of heat.

Keep your fingers crossed,:)

- Nick

Hmm... I wonder if this is happening with my G3 iMac. Because I booted it up the other day, and the screen was rock solid. I studied that thing and not a wiggle anywhere. Yet other times, you can see a slight wiggle in small areas. :Confused:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm... I wonder if this is happening with my G3 iMac. Because I booted it up the other day, and the screen was rock solid. I studied that thing and not a wiggle anywhere. Yet other times, you can see a slight wiggle in small areas. :Confused:

A "slight wiggle" doesn't seem too bad. It's a 10 year-old CRT computer display...it's not going to be like brand new.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A "slight wiggle" doesn't seem too bad. It's a 10 year-old CRT computer display...it's not going to be like brand new.;)

- Nick

True. I'll get worried when it looks like there's an earthquake inside of my iMac. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True. I'll get worried when it looks like there's an earthquake inside of my iMac. ;)

Hopefully by the time your iMac's CRT display fails/dies...you'll have graduated from high school...and either have a good job or be in college...and you'll have a MUCH newer Mac (yes I know , you already have newer Mac's)!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully by the time your iMac's CRT display fails/dies...you'll have graduated from high school...and either have a good job or be in college...and you'll have a MUCH newer Mac (yes I know , you already have newer Mac's)!;)

- Nick

Yup. I like my G3 though because I've never seen another computer quite like it... The colors, the shape, and to tell you the truth, I find all white a tad boring. :Smirk: If only apple would bring it back with an LCD display and a 3 GHz Intel CPU. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup. I like my G3 though because I've never seen another computer quite like it... The colors, the shape, and to tell you the truth, I find all white a tad boring. :Smirk: If only apple would bring it back with an LCD display and a 3 GHz Intel CPU. :D

Well they sort of did with the newest iMacs...except you don't get the color & the shape. If you had the shape of the old CRT iMacs...then you wouldn't have the benefit of thinness & lightness of LCD displays.

Yes the new iMac's could have colored (powder coated) colors like the old G3 iMacs...but many people like the "cleanness" and simplicity of the bare aluminum. But even if the new iMacs were colored...the color wouldn't have the same impact/eye appeal as the old G3 iMacs due to the shape.

And geez...if you wanted the shape of the old G3 iMacs on a new iMac with an LCD display...just think how BIG the housing would be with one of the 27" iMacs...YIKES!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well they sort of did with the newest iMacs...except you don't get the color & the shape. If you had the shape of the old CRT iMacs...then you wouldn't have the benefit of thinness & lightness of LCD displays.

Yes the new iMac's could have colored (powder coated) colors like the old G3 iMacs...but many people like the "cleanness" and simplicity of the bare aluminum. But even if the new iMacs were colored...the color wouldn't have the same impact/eye appeal as the old G3 iMacs due to the shape.

And geez...if you wanted the shape of the old G3 iMacs on a new iMac with an LCD display...just think how BIG the housing would be with one of the 27" iMacs...YIKES!;)

- Nick

I guess you're right. :\ But what if you had the G3 iMac, with a new CPU, and an LCD instead of a CRT. The G3 isn't that big, and it would be much lighter with a LCD than a CRT. ... Then again, it's probably just a dream of mine that Apple will go back to it. :Smirk:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess you're right. :\ But what if you had the G3 iMac, with a new CPU, and an LCD instead of a CRT. The G3 isn't that big, and it would be much lighter with a LCD than a CRT. ... Then again, it's probably just a dream of mine that Apple will go back to it. :Smirk:

I think that if you had that computer:

- a G3 iMac with a new faster Intel CPU
- had an LCD rather than a CRT display (same size display as the G3 iMac)

Then you basically would have the G4 iMac (which I think that your signature already says you have). Or if you mean put an LCD display in the G3 iMacs case...well I guess Apple could do that...but then the computer would take so much more space than it needs to...and the display would be really small by today's standards.

But...if you wanted to do that yourself (LCD display in a G3 iMac)...I'm pretty sure there are some "mods" out there from folks that already have done it. I haven't seen the processor upgrade "mod" yet for an iMac G3.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that if you had that computer:

- a G3 iMac with a new faster Intel CPU
- had an LCD rather than a CRT display (same size display as the G3 iMac)

Then you basically would have the G4 iMac (which I think that your signature already says you have). Or if you mean put an LCD display in the G3 iMacs case...well I guess Apple could do that...but then the computer would take so much more space than it needs to...and the display would be really small by today's standards.

But...if you wanted to do that yourself...I'm pretty sure there are some "mods" out there from folks that already have done it.

- Nick

.... A G4 eMac maybe... But the G3 iMac is drastically different from the G4 iMac in my opinion. :p And yeah... you're right, bringing back the G3 iMac wouldn't be very practical for Apple. But as far as myself modding it...yeah... No. I'd kill it. ;)

P.S. We seem to do a very good job of taking threads way off topic. LOL ;D

Reaction score
Looks like I missed all the Fun! What ever iMac G3 you latch on to,just leave the hard drive in place and add an external HD for storage. You can really mess up the firmware by changing drives if the machine was never upgraded to OSX. If the CRT starts popping then you know its about to go. Does this machine have a firewire port..if not its an education version. These slot load iMacs do not have a fan in them. The older tray load machines do. I mounted a fan inside the case to cool the PS...make it last a little longer. I found a parts machine on the side of the road the other day. Power supply issue..pulled some parts and took the hulk to the thrift store.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The older tray load machines do. I mounted a fan inside the case to cool the PS...make it last a little longer. I found a parts machine on the side of the road the other day. Power supply issue..pulled some parts and took the hulk to the thrift store.

You and your luck finding Mac computers on the curb, side of the road, or in a dumpster!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
You and your luck finding Mac computers on the curb, side of the road, or in a dumpster!!!;)

- Nick

Found a 1.8 gig.512 memory Pc last week..it works. Have already put SUSE on it.:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found a 1.8 gig.512 memory Pc last week..it works. Have already put SUSE on it.:)

Does finding free Windows computers on the curb really count...isn't that where they belong!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Does finding free Windows computers on the curb really count...isn't that where they belong!;)

- Nick

Yes I only stop for the better ones. If you put Linux on them there not so bad..that windows taint goes away..Im sure the machine likes it better too!.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.