iMac 2010 possible PS failure

Reaction score
Greetings to everyone on forum. Recently while using my iMac normally, the screen went blank after 15 mins of usage and it wont turn on under any circumstances, nothing happened when I pressed Power button. I decided tear down the screen to have a look and the thing is, that I was able to turn it on for a little bit, heard the chime, working fans etc, but it shut down after few seconds.

Trying to investigate the issue, I found out the next thing. When you plug in the power cord the 1st diode on motherboard turns on and off for a second and then turns back on. When you press Power button, it turns on normally, but after some time it turns off and the 1st diode goes off as well, until you unplug and plug back the power cord.

I'm thinking that it could be the power supply fault, but I'm not really sure. Can anyone help me out? Is it the PS issue, or there's something other broken?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums Charelene.

I believe you mean "LED" rather than "diode". However, I suspect that you are correct in that it could be a defective power supply. It appears you may be located in South Africa according to your IP address. As there are no official Apple Stores there, you might want to locate an Apple parts supplier locally or use eBay to obtain a replacement PS. I suggest doing a bit more trouble shooting before purchasing a new PS. We recommend this US site as one of the best to use for trouble shooting. www.ifixit.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.