Imac 2.66 24 mid 2009 memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G
My imac has 4 gig of ram,I want to upgrade to maybe 6 gig or even 8 gig,I am not to sure how to go about it,would getting 1, 4 gig to go with my other 4 to make 8 gig would it do the trick,which combination would work best
I was also wondering what would be the best memory to get,I hear crucible getting thrown around a bit,would anyone reccomend it,I dont know much about macs I have only been using my imac since sept any input would be very much appreciated.

kind regards Pharealmac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maximum memory officially supported is 8 GB but your iMac has only two memory slots. That means the 4 GB you currently have consists of 2 each 2 GB modules. Which will result in you having to remove both modules and replacing them with 2 each 4 GB modules. (expensive)

If you would like to go with the two 4 GB modules, I recommend using either Crucial or Other World Computing to purchase the memory. Just as an aside, what are you planning to do with 8 GB? The memory you currently have should be fine for most applications and games.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice you were from "down under". I'm not sure if either Crucial or OWC will ship to Australia and if there would be an extra charge.

Regards.

OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G
Maximum memory officially supported is 8 GB but your iMac has only two memory slots. That means the 4 GB you currently have consists of 2 each 2 GB modules. Which will result in you having to remove both modules and replacing them with 2 each 4 GB modules. (expensive)

If you would like to go with the two 4 GB modules, I recommend using either Crucial or Other World Computing to purchase the memory. Just as an aside, what are you planning to do with 8 GB? The memory you currently have should be fine for most applications and games.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice you were from "down under". I'm not sure if either Crucial or OWC will ship to Australia and if there would be an extra charge.

Regards.
thanks for the heads up mate,so could i keep one of my 2 gigs & put a 4 gig in & have six.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.