• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iGame APPLE VIDEO GAME SYSTEM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
blu-ray does not actually fully play its videos in HD like it claims, while hd-dvd is true high definition in a video format. blu-ray just up converts it. you will get a MUCH better picture when using HD-DVD

Sorry but that is complete rubbish. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are just storage formats, they have nothing to do with the output definition of the picture, which is determined by the configuration of the used Codec. Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray support 480p through to 1080p

The reason why some HD-DVD movies have looked better than some Blu-Ray movies is because of the codec chosen. HD-DVD went with VC-1, which makes much better use of space than MPEG2, which is what Blu-Ray were using (because Sony didn't want to pay licensing costs apparently). MPEG2 can output the same quality as VC-1 although the bit-rate is higher. So, because early Blu-Ray discs were only single layer (25GB) the compression had to be higher than would have been ideal and the picture quality degraded.

IF Blu-Ray starts using double sided discs (50GB) this won't be an issue or if Sony decides to go with a newer codec that can compress data more efficiently (like h.264 or VC-1) then this won't be an issue. In fact Sony are expecting 4 hours of HD movie content on a single disc using h.264 format in the near future.

To say Blu-Ray isn't true HD is complete nonsense and shows a distinct lack of understanding about this topic. Also Blu-Ray movies so far have been full HD. What IS true, is that the PS3 doesn't up scale DVD films, it shows them at 480p, whereas the Xbox's HD-DVD apparently does, which is a fantastic feature. Apparently the PS3 may do this in future firmware updates, but who knows.

OP
imacmatt09
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
Sorry but that is complete rubbish. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are just storage formats, they have nothing to do with the output definition of the picture, which is determined by the configuration of the used Codec. Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray support 480p through to 1080p

The reason why some HD-DVD movies have looked better than some Blu-Ray movies is because of the codec chosen. HD-DVD went with VC-1, which makes much better use of space than MPEG2, which is what Blu-Ray were using (because Sony didn't want to pay licensing costs apparently). MPEG2 can output the same quality as VC-1 although the bit-rate is higher. So, because early Blu-Ray discs were only single layer (25GB) the compression had to be higher than would have been ideal and the picture quality degraded.

IF Blu-Ray starts using double sided discs (50GB) this won't be an issue or if Sony decides to go with a newer codec that can compress data more efficiently (like h.264 or VC-1) then this won't be an issue. In fact Sony are expecting 4 hours of HD movie content on a single disc using h.264 format in the near future.

To say Blu-Ray isn't true HD is complete nonsense and shows a distinct lack of understanding about this topic. Also Blu-Ray movies so far have been full HD. What IS true, is that the PS3 doesn't up scale DVD films, it shows them at 480p, whereas the Xbox's HD-DVD apparently does, which is a fantastic feature. Apparently the PS3 may do this in future firmware updates, but who knows.

SONY FANBOY

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
imacmatt09
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're kidding? I have no Sony gear... :flower:

Are you for real? :biohazard

haha yeah i was joking but still you are supporting the blu-ray drive (sony) over hd-dvd which is toshiba i think. toshiba is good cause im typing on one now. i use it and my mac all the time and i love them both (mac more SHHHH!! dont tell my toshiba).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha yeah i was joking but still you are supporting the blu-ray drive (sony) over hd-dvd which is toshiba i think. toshiba is good cause im typing on one now. i use it and my mac all the time and i love them both (mac more SHHHH!! dont tell my toshiba).

I wasn't defending it, just pointing out the inaccuracies of the post. I don't particularly like Mushroom Soup, but if someone said eating Mushroom Soup would give you cancer, I'd correct them. I'm kinda like that. :(

Also, Blu-Ray is many Companies (including Apple), not just Sony.

* Apple Computer
* Dell
* Hewlett Packard
* Hitachi
* LG Electronics
* Mitsubishi Electric
* Panasonic (Matsushita Electric)
* Pioneer Corporation
* Royal Philips Electronics
* Samsung Electronics
* Sharp Corporation
* Sony Corporation
* TDK Corporation
* Thomson
* Twentieth Century Fox
* Walt Disney Pictures
* Warner Home Video Inc.

Supporting Blu-Ray hardly makes someone a Sony fanboy... I think you've been in too many Xbox forums. HD-DVD is primarily Toshiba and Microsoft, along with Universal Pictures.

OP
imacmatt09
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wasn't defending it, just pointing out the inaccuracies of the post. I don't particularly like Mushroom Soup, but if someone said eating Mushroom Soup would give you cancer, I'd correct them. I'm kinda like that. :(

Also, Blu-Ray is many Companies (including Apple), not just Sony.

* Apple Computer
* Dell
* Hewlett Packard
* Hitachi
* LG Electronics
* Mitsubishi Electric
* Panasonic (Matsushita Electric)
* Pioneer Corporation
* Royal Philips Electronics
* Samsung Electronics
* Sharp Corporation
* Sony Corporation
* TDK Corporation
* Thomson
* Twentieth Century Fox
* Walt Disney Pictures
* Warner Home Video Inc.

Supporting Blu-Ray hardly makes someone a Sony fanboy... I think you've been in too many Xbox forums. HD-DVD is primarily Toshiba and Microsoft, along with Universal Pictures.

i see well i havent see any blu-ray movies out yet and plenty of hd-dvd movies. what they really need to do is made a blu-ray hd-dvd combo drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
i see well i havent see any blu-ray movies out yet and plenty of hd-dvd movies. what they really need to do is made a blu-ray hd-dvd combo drive

Netflix has a whole bunch of Blu-Ray movies. You must not be looking very hard. ;)

OP
imacmatt09
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Netflix has a whole bunch of Blu-Ray movies. You must not be looking very hard. ;)

haha you right i havent ive been lookin at the tv commcerials. and hey im only 15 so no one needs to bash me for not knowing everything.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Who wouldnt? M$ came out with the xbox 360 and everyone makes games for it.

everyone's been making pc games for years and years. it's a simple port to the xbox and/or 360 afaik.

OP
imacmatt09
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
everyone's been making pc games for years and years. it's a simple port to the xbox and/or 360 afaik.

yeah your right never though about that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
it would have to b e a sphere, or something.

Wait, I think I saw that console. Oh yeah, it was on South Park! :) It was called GameSphere. Just put an "i" in front of it and Apple can save tons on market research!

I don't have much to say on the game console subject (that is what is being discussed, right?) but I'm sure Apple's marketing machine and rumor bloggers along with it's still-rolling populatiry could produce enough momentum to successfully sell a game console; as long as the game makers were on board.

They could do as Microsoft did and make integrate it with Macs and run media apps through them both. (did I just suggest Apple copy Microsoft!?!) But that would really cut into that new Media device, whatever it's called, sales; so that wouldn't happen.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
actually, all apple has to do (besides the massive investments of time and money delveloping the console) is figure out some way to integrate the ipod.

make it hold game and system data, mabe even the OS, plug it into the box (so that any [insert clever-ish "i" name here; like iPlay or something] game machine can be made to act as though it were yours. maybe add four ports so you and your buddies can play all using your own distinct settings and saves.

i'd hate to see what i'd cost though... :eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.