• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

If you are sick of rising gas prices...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm not trying to rain on Steve11's parade, but the economist in me just has to point this out.

The WVO isn't actually free. You have to consider the time you spend collecting, filtering, and anything else you do outside of just pouring it into your car. Multiply that by your hourly pay and that's how much it technically costs you. I'm sure it's very little, but measurable.

That being said, I think it's really great what you're doing and I hope we can all find and implement a good substitute someday that will lead to a few less islands being built in Dubai.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
I'm not trying to rain on Steve11's parade, but the economist in me just has to point this out.

The WVO isn't actually free. You have to consider the time you spend collecting, filtering, and anything else you do outside of just pouring it into your car. Multiply that by your hourly pay and that's how much it technically costs you. I'm sure it's very little, but measurable.

That being said, I think it's really great what you're doing and I hope we can all find and implement a good substitute someday that will lead to a few less islands being built in Dubai.
No raintaken brother, and you are absolutely correct. There is time to be accounted for in doing things the way I choose to do them in all aspects of my life. Honestly their isn't much time involved in the filtering process. I have to go to the resturaunts and pick it up every week or two, usually one to two 5 gallon containers. Lets not forget that I also had some overhead in my drive for cheap scheme as well. I had to buy the kit and also a couple of storage bins, filters, towels for cleaning up my occasional "oopsy", and various other nick nack dohickys along the way. I didn't mean to come off like this is free, I realize I do but its just because the material I put into my tank is gathered freely from people that would ordinarily just chuck it away(I mean recycle properly, ofcourse). I'd say I've got maybe 1200-1300 bucks wrapped up in this and I spend around $40 on a tank of dino juice every 4 months or so. I should really sit down and crunch the numbers sometime. So, NO, I'd say this concept isn't for everyone. It involves too much work and time for most folks taste iImagine but that OK. Time is valuable and I don't waste much of it either. This project has become more of a hobby now and obviously can't be calculated in terms of dollars no more than my spelunking or kung fu:D Its just something I enjoy doing at this point and it probably saves me a buck or two on the back end but that is really less important to me than you'd think. Maybe with the money I save I can buy a boat, thats my goal anway. You like fishing? I love boats, I wonder if I can find one that runs on diesel. (Gears in brain spinning madly)I feel another project coming, ARRRGGHHH!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
When (or if) I buy a car again, I'll certainly look into purchasing a diesel and doing the conversion. After reading through, it really doesn't seem like it's that bad. You're saving the environment, and a little bit of money on the side. It seems to me that the time involved in collecting and filtering your veggie fuel isn't all that intensive either. It sounds like it might just be a few hours on a Saturday, which I don't think is much of a trade off when you consider your advantages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Just a reminder: Today is "DO NOT BUY GAS" day. My tanks is empty, but I will hang in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Maybe it's a little harsh for me to say but I say hurray for rising gas prices. Why?
People will be less likely to be buying unnecessary vehicles like Hummers and Explorers and Yukons. To people who can't afford cars with better gas mileage I do sympathize, but to everyone else, I don't.
I still get the minimum MPG rated by the EPA (35 MPG city.) I really only do big city driving and my car is 12 yrs old and has 192,000 miles.
I am not rich and I still fill up using 93 even though it only requires 87. It keeps the engine clean and burns cleaner.
Take care of your car and it will take care of you.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe it's a little harsh for me to say but I say hurray for rising gas prices. Why?
People will be less likely to be buying unnecessary vehicles like Hummers and Explorers and Yukons. To people who can't afford cars with better gas mileage I do sympathize, but to everyone else, I don't.
I still get the minimum MPG rated by the EPA (35 MPG city.) I really only do big city driving and my car is 12 yrs old and has 192,000 miles.
I am not rich and I still fill up using 93 even though it only requires 87. It keeps the engine clean and burns cleaner.
Take care of your car and it will take care of you.
Bryan

I second that! I think if the prices go up enough folks will get pinched enough to come off the couch and start demanding the auto companies to make more efficient cars and try other concepts. We are such an innovative country filled with a lot of smart people and it drives me nuts to see the people in-charge making such blatantly selfish choices. Maybe if the people start making more noise then the Oil companies and the auto companies will get out of bed with each other. I'm all for each person doing what they can how ever they can. It could be as simple as picking up a coworker or two so theres two people in that big ole SUV. I'm truly lucky and have made some good choices. I can ride my bike or walk to work but I know not everyone lives so close to work. I use to live an hour from work one way. Blah!! I don't like living in town but its temporary. Although I didn't have HighSpeed internet on the farm so i guess the city isn't so bad. How'd I talk to you all if I had dial up? YIKES!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Our next car will definetely be a hybrid. I am so looking forward to it.
My husband's Toyota truck is 18 years old and going strong without any expenses, so it would be a waste to get rid of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hoax, remember...

I heard it on the news this morning about it. I know the impact will not be much, but if it helps people to vent, then it will help prevent some road rage.

:Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Our next car will definetely be a hybrid. I am so looking forward to it.
My husband's Toyota truck is 18 years old and going strong without any expenses, so it would be a waste to get rid of it.

...Thats because it's a TOYOTA. I've got a toyota 4X4 van w/ 220 miles on it and its 18 yrs old too. I'll keep it til it falls apart. Probably another 6 weeks;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...Thats because it's a TOYOTA. I've got a toyota 4X4 van w/ 220 miles on it and its 18 yrs old too. I'll keep it til it falls apart. Probably another 6 weeks;)

lol
I have heard Toyota trucks lasting 300,000 miles or more.
I think my husband has 140,000 miles on it. Not bad.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well it would help if CAFE standards (which are mostly garbage anyway) and tax laws didn't help subsidize the purchasing of near-semi tractors by "regular folk".

and to some extent, as i understand it, the numbers are bearing out the higher gas = lower large vehicle sales, but as people get used to higher prices, that dip will most likely even out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
well it would help if CAFE standards (which are mostly garbage anyway) and tax laws didn't help subsidize the purchasing of near-semi tractors by "regular folk".

and to some extent, as i understand it, the numbers are bearing out the higher gas = lower large vehicle sales, but as people get used to higher prices, that dip will most likely even out.

Unfortunately, this is true.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
*sits eagerly waiting for gas prices to drop 30 cents*

i think that people won't stop their nuts gas spending habits until the prices hit over $4 a gallon

Reaction score
There's nothing really nuts about it, though. People are doing what they have become accustomed to doing. Nobody is buying gas for the fun of it. They're buying it to get to work, drive the kids to school, etc.

Our society has become used to living in the country and working in the city. That requires gasoline.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a Discover Gas Card which pays 5% cash back on all automotive repair, gas, parts, etc. purchases. I pay the balance each time and never pay any interest or late fees. After I accumulate $20 cash back, Discover deducts my balance by that much.
Once I read: If we could only stop pretending that we live in a jungle where we would need those Hummers.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
actually, hummers would be terrible for a jungle - much too wide. ;)

the original samurai, or a sidekick/tracker would be a great jungle "truck".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.