• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iCloud Communications Sues Apple Over iCloud Trademark

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How was I wrong? o_O I didn't know I was suppose to recite the dictionary.
Wasn't asking you to do so. I was just pointing out that "cloud computing" is a rather nebulous term. And let's not forget that you asked us to correct you if you were wrong. ;)

As for your sources:
- InfoWord article: "As a metaphor for the Internet, "the cloud" is a familiar cliché, but when combined with "computing," the meaning gets bigger and fuzzier." - Exactly what I said.
- IBM: "IBM is helping clients excel in cloud computing, providing secure and reliable Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) solutions." - This doesn't refute my point.
- CloudExpo - doesn't even have a definition.
- HowStuffWorks - "In a cloud computing system, there's a significant workload shift. Local computers no longer have to do all the heavy lifting when it comes to running applications. The network of computers that make up the cloud handles them instead. Hardware and software demands on the user's side decrease. The only thing the user's computer needs to be able to run is the cloud computing system's interface software, which can be as simple as a Web browser, and the cloud's network takes care of the rest." - Again, that's exactly what I said.

Wikipedia isn't automatically wrong especially when its definition is congruent with other ones.

I'm not saying you're wrong (the cloud does involve a storage component). I was simply suggesting that the issue here is the definition of cloud and how this might affect the lawsuit.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
And let's not forget that you asked us to correct you if you were wrong. ;)

LOL - note to self - do not include above phrase in any future posting :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You're also assuming that if it's not exactly the same cloud computing the trademark won't stand up and that's not accurate.

It's a online technology, that could very well be enough to argue confusion. And as a point to prove that, look at how Cloud App (which I love BTW) is the #1 free download on the iTunes store the day that iCloud is announced because of all the people who thought it was iCloud and don't know how to read.

I think your underestimating or have a misconception of US trademark law if you think iCloud Communication's doesn't have a good case on this one.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
LOL - note to self - do not include above phrase in any future posting :p

I'm pretty sure someone would correct you, even if you didn't ask to be corrected. :p

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm pretty sure someone would correct you, even if you didn't ask to be corrected. :p
Him posting that has pretty much ensured that I am on constant lookout for mistakes in his posts from now on.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Him posting that has pretty much ensured that I am on constant lookout for mistakes in his posts from now on.

Drat!! I will make a concerted attempt to word all my future responses in such a way that I can't possibly be wrong since they're so ambiguous and 'blue-sky' that don't really say anything but appear as if I was trying to contribute. I work with people who have managed to make a career out of that. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
perhaps "myCloud" would be better to avoid a clash !

tim

Reaction score
perhaps "myCloud" would be better to avoid a clash !
Nooooooooooooooo!!!

Waaay too close to MobileMe, and if MobileMe & Windows Me have taught us anything it's that any software with "Me" in the name is gonna SUCK!

As it is, there's several names that would be better than iCloud anyway...

iFusion, iShare, iUnity, iFi, iSync (ok, maybe that one has unfortunate nautical connotations), iLink, etc...

Reaction score
^ Maybe something without the "i" prefix. Not every Apple product has it.

Ironically "Airport" would probably have been good for this service. "A travel hub for your music, files, and more. Wherever you go, they go." But that ship has sailed.

As for the product's relative suckiness, I'm reserving judgment until the new version launches and I can try it myself. Apple hasn't been able to get this right in more than a decade, in spite of endless hype about how great would be each time. iCloud is fourth rebranding of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.