I understand Lion is coming out. End of updates for Snow Leopard?

C

chas_m

Given that Apple already went out of its way to mention that there are other methods (and will be other methods) for buying Mac software, AND given the fact that Mac users aren't stupid, the Mac App Store will be popular but not ever exclusive. Too many other channels people enjoy using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Given that Apple already went out of its way to mention that there are other methods (and will be other methods) for buying Mac software, AND given the fact that Mac users aren't stupid, the Mac App Store will be popular but not ever exclusive. Too many other channels people enjoy using.
This is well said.

And actually giving people the option of Mac App Store or the usual developer website, each option will appeal to a different person, thus ensuring more Mac users are getting their apps the way they want to. Thus in the end more happy Mac users.

C

chas_m

PS. Just to bring it back round to the OP's original question, 10.6.5 is being prepared as we speak and should be out any day now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Lion will be a disaster. It will be Apple's Vista. I have no doubts about it. I watched the last keynote. I see where they are going...

Steve Jobs is trying to put his hands on all apps for mac. He wants to monopolize all mac apps like he did in iphone, ipad, and ipod. Developers will need to pay 30% to Apple of every app sold via mac apps store.

So you see where it is going.. maybe not in Lion but in next version after Lion our macs will behave like ipods. you wont be able to install anything that is not approved by Apple. The greed will kill this company.

I wonder if Microsoft would sell Office via mac store and pay 30% to Apple LOL. If Microsoft wants to kill Apple they can do it easily. Just stop developing Office for mac, many people just won't buy mac because of that. I'm afraid that Steve Balmer has no guts to do it though lol. They must have some kind of agreement, I bet Apple is paying a lot of cash to Microsoft just to develop Office for mac. they did that before when mac os didn't have own internet browser, they paid Microsoft to develop internet explorer for mac and it was official browser for macs for a while till they figure out how to make browsers lol. And they dare to say Microsoft is always copy them?

But guys at Redmond dont want to kill it because there is no point. Macs have only 20% market share and only because now you can run windows on macs. they just laughing on their way to the bank. So even if mac's share grows more , Microsoft is making money out of it. Remember it's a software company, they don't really care about hardware they can make software for any machine.

If you took anything from watching the keynote, you should have taken note of the "it won't be the only way, but we think it will be a good way." Ubuntu Software Center? Yea, same sort of idea. It's a good idea, and a nice mainstream distribution method for young developers to access.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
So with the Mac App store you could purchase say, just Pages or Numbers instead of all iWorks apps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
So with the Mac App store you could purchase say, just Pages or Numbers instead of all iWorks apps?
It appears that this is the case and I think this is a brilliant development.
I don't use numbers or keynote, but use pages quite a bit, and I am sure that I'm not the only one.
I'm pretty keen to see the Mac app store and see what comes up and for how much :)

This is the OZ pricing, but it looks like it say $19.99 for Pages which is pretty cool :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.