I think it's time to switch

Reaction score
I ran that search and found this that perhaps explains why I hadn't heard of it — the curve changed in OS 10.3.
I got fed up with the jumpy 'cliff-edge acceleration' mouse movement on my Mac. Not wanting to spend any money on USB Overdrive just to fix a basic problem like this, I wrote a little program called MouseFix that makes the mouse much more usable. It's free and open source; I wrote it on a 10.4.1 system, but I would guess that it will probably work fine on virtually any version of OS X, if not all.
But even with the curve being new, I noticed nothing. Maybe my Logitech driver overrides it.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Maybe my Logitech driver overrides it.

I read the same article and even downloaded the program, but didn't find that it made a difference. USB Overdrive did however allow for enough fine-tuning to make the mouse speed and acceleration comfortable. I would say it's a safe bet that the Logitech driver overrides the driver inherent to MacOS.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love supporting shareware, but I made a big mistake of pulling the trigger on USB Overdrive a little too early. I didn't think it would ship as fast as it did, but my Bluetooth Logitech V270 showed up today. Guess what? Since it doesn't run on USB, it doesn't work with the USB Overdrive software. Also, Logitech doesn't supply any software for it, so I'm stuck with Apple's acceleration, curves, etc. Ugh...

M

MacHeadCase

I suggested this a couple of times here. If it's a Bluetooth device, you should have a look at SteerMouse. It's the new kid on the block while USB Overdrive has been around for a very long time, even before OS X... well, it has been updated since though!
icon12.gif

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suggested this a couple of times here. If it's a Bluetooth device, you should have a look at SteerMouse. It's the new kid on the block while USB Overdrive has been around for a very long time, even before OS X... well, it has been updated since though!
icon12.gif

<cwa107 smacks himself in the head> UGH! Yes, you did. In fact, I even downloaded the program, but forgot I did so. When I actually ran into this problem (for the first time today), I started going back through my thread trying to remember what the application was called that had been recommended. The trouble is, I ran into USB Overdrive before Steermouse.

I could KICK myself. Oh well, there are worse ways to blow $20, I guess. It's always good to support Mac developers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
option click... but in safari it does not open in a new tab, it just downloads the linked file

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could try the demo...
icon12.gif

Hey now... let's not get out the salt!

I tried the application, I liked it, so I bought it. But your point is well taken, maybe I should take advantage of that trial period!

Reaction score
. . . but my Bluetooth Logitech V270 showed up today. Guess what? Since it doesn't run on USB, it doesn't work with the USB Overdrive software. Also, Logitech doesn't supply any software for it, so I'm stuck with Apple's acceleration, curves, etc. Ugh...
Can you exchange the mouse for a Logitech USB?

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you exchange the mouse for a Logitech USB?

I'm sure I could, but MacHeadCase's suggestion of trying SteerMouse solved the problem. It's a great little program, and best of all, it's free.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quick question (and sorry to keep reviving this thread, but I figure it's better to post in an existing thread than to start a new one).

I've seen this questions posted a few times, but haven't gotten the answer I was hoping for...

With Windows, when I open a folder full of photos, it will show thumbnails of them all. I figured out how to make Finder do the same thing, but Windows' picture viewer has a nice option where if you open the first photo and then click on the "next photo" button it will jump right over to the next without having to double-click on it. I know you can highlight multiple photos and click open or you can drag the photos into Preview's tray to view them all in this fashion. But is there any way (or an alternative viewer) that will work in a similar fashion to Windows? That is, I'm looking for a program that recognizes that there are a bunch of photos in the same place and then displays them one at a time by just hitting up or down.

I also don't want to import these photos into iPhoto, just want to sift through a USB thumb drive and look at a bunch of photos in full-size.

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I've been hoping something like this is around too, but haven't found anything yet. From the beta shots of Leopard, it looks like it will be a feature in Leopard.

On second thought, you can do a "Slideshow", if you are on Tiger, select all of them, right-click, and select slideshow.

M

MacHeadCase

Well there is a way in Mac OS X Tiger to make a slideshow from a folder with images. You just select all the images (Command or Apple key + A), right-click (or Option-click) and choose Slideshow from the contextual menu.

I tried out earlier a fun little freebie of an app called CocoViewX and I like it a lot.

I might be replying completely off-track to your question here, I really don't know how Windows works with photos and images... Sorry if I am off-track.

Edited to add:

Doh! StretchR beat me to it! *Head hits desk...*

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Doh! StretchR beat me to it! *Head hits desk...*

lol, that's OK MHC. We enjoy your posts and help.
My thanks also for tip of MouseSteer. Very nice app.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As always, thanks guys - not only do you always have the answer, you're quick too!

BTW, I just discovered FasterFox add-on for Firefox tonight and whoah - my Mac is just about the fastest browser I've ever used now. Worth a look if you use Firefox.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
BTW, I just discovered FasterFox add-on for Firefox tonight and whoah - my Mac is just about the fastest browser I've ever used now. Worth a look if you use Firefox.

Put it on a week or so ago. The combination of FasterFox and Adblock Plus just may have me converted from Opera. The 2 of them together turns Firefox into a really fast browser.

Adblock Plus is the only blocker I've found that will block the PC World pop-up subscription ad. If you like all the eye candy most sites have today, you may not want this combo. But, for fast browsing, they do the trick.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, another quick question.

Now that I've purchased nearly a dozen different shareware programs and started to store some of my important documents and images onto my machine, I decided to pick up an external backup drive (I picked up a 300GB Maxtor One Touch from Costco). I used SuperDuper to create the backup and it did so successfully. The one thing I noticed is that SuperDuper doesn't create an image, which is what I'm accustomed to with my Windows machines. I used Acronis TrueImage to backup my PCs, but apparently it's not compatible with HFS partitions, so I decided to use SuperDuper as it came highly recommended from a number of sources.

My question is this... I can boot off my external drive with no problem. Am I to assume that if the worst happened and I had to replace my HDD, that I could simply "backup" the backed-up partition to my replacement HDD as a means to restore it since it simply makes a copy of all the files?

To me, the most important part of backup software is how easy it is to restore the system to a usable state. If I should be looking at different software (perhaps something that makes a perfect clone using a disk image), I'd appreciate any suggestions. It just seems weird (coming from the Windows world) to backup a system merely by cloning files one-to-one as SuperDuper seems to.

Any opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reefed 2.33Ghz 17" MBP
I'm interested in an answer to this, as well.

By the way, since I've been coming here, this one of the most informative "Switcher Threads" I've come across. It's full of great tips and knowledge. Thanks for it! This community is one of the best I've ever found, on the 'net! *ends butt-kissing*:closed:

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been searching for a way to change the default mouse pointers. I take it you can't do this easily, but is there a third-party app that will allow you to either modify or use a different pointer - or are we just stuck with the default ones? Thanks as always for your input.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haven't found any freeware ones. Check out unsanity.com, have one called Mighty Mouse (gives you 2 week trial period, and then only $10). Lists 3 sites for additional cursors (1 is down right now), but still over 400 cursor sets on the other 2.

Am not using this myself, but I have already purchased a couple of their products. Their products seem to be pretty well thought out for the tweaker with plenty of options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.