I suck at Windows.

D

darcyl

Antivirus
Norton/McAffee - BAD, avoid like the plague.
AVG - GOOD, definately download it.

Firewall
The only benefit that Zone Alarm has over Windows built in firewall is that it will block outgoing traffic as well (so if your machine gets infected, it won't turn into a zombie and start trying to attack other boxes). But Windows firewall is good enough.

PC vs Mac Comments
I'm sure glad that I don't have to worry about viruses and firewalls on my Mac! Of course, I also wish that when something goes wrong with one component I didn't have to have my entire logic board replaced, or have to wait a full week to actually enjoy my Mac because only authorized repair depots can do the work and the parts need to come in from the states. There's always tradeoffs...
:)

DL

Cam

Reaction score
If you've got a decent firewall I don't think anti virus software is really important. My computer is online 12 hours a day using nothing but windows firewall and it chuggs away quite happilly! I'd recommend slipstreaming the lastest version of windows onto a new cd and reinstalling it but you dont sound like you're all that competent! I spent years building computers for my family and extended family and the only difficult bit would be updating windows, because my cd version of xp didn't have a firewall. I'd end up having to install windows 3 or 4 times on a computer becasuse it kept on messing up! You'll like windows, there's a lot more freedom to get what you want done done.

OP
surfwax95
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Cam said:
...but you dont sound like you're all that competent!

You just gave me waaaay too much credit when it comes to Windows. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Well the zone alarm has become too popular for it's own good. It's the number #1 target for sypware and viruses. Like windows popularity has come to shoot it's self in the foot. Spyware and viruses will deactivate or hijack the zone alarm firewall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I've used avast on all my pc's since last year it's free and updates itself

http://www.avast.com

DON'T USE NORTON AV! I used it for a long time...until a virus totally blew up Norton AV and the Norton Firewall! It ran right by and it took me a month to get the whole mess cleaned up.

As a long, long time PC user I suggest the following:

AV: Bitdefender Free Edition...it's free and probably the best AV program available. It stops most viruses cold. I downloaded it after Norton let my system get infected and it was successful in keeping the virus from spreading any further. Try this program ASAP in order to find out if your computer is still infected. There is also an online version that you can use for a quick scan to evaluate your current situation.

Firewall: Since you're not familiar with Windows, I would suggest just using the Windows Firewall. If you think you can handle something a little more in depth, use the Free Zonealarm Firewall. It still works great even though it's been around a long time.

Anti-Spyware: Spybot & ad-aware. Both are free and work great.

Is it necessary to have all of this? If you're not familiar with Windows and your girlfriend was successful in infecting your computer in one try, I would say yes, these are all needed. Make sure to keep them all update on a weekly basis though. And make sure you are actively scanning, using the deepest technology available for each program, at least once a week.

Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.